**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Dec 28, 2017 at 8:28 PM Post #21,946 of 22,116
I dont listen to mine,except casually for video,not music....The mods AKG K 340 transform my listening experience... I dont want to listen to my 2 Stax also...:ksc75smile:

Dec 29, 2017 at 10:36 AM Post #21,947 of 22,116
I'm still loving my modded HE400 but I don't think there are many still in use these days.

I obviously love my pair too. These pair of headphones really deserved the long time love HD6XX ranges get. The ease to drive, the price performance ratio, the unique sound among the HP world which can constantly be altered with the amount of mods this HP has uncovered... Seriously, tell me a headphone which goes at stupid prices that the HE400 goes for in the used market, that pretty much does not require an amp to sound good, which can replicate most of what the TOTL planars can do when modded. As far as I am aware, it does not exist.

Most planars are heavier than the HE400 which immediately remove them from consideration too. There is just so much going for the HE400 but I feel it is ignored in the community due to it's cheap price/budget planar status and the fact that it require EQing or modding.

Dec 29, 2017 at 1:37 PM Post #21,948 of 22,116
I obviously love my pair too. These pair of headphones really deserved the long time love HD6XX ranges get. The ease to drive, the price performance ratio, the unique sound among the HP world which can constantly be altered with the amount of mods this HP has uncovered... Seriously, tell me a headphone which goes at stupid prices that the HE400 goes for in the used market, that pretty much does not require an amp to sound good, which can replicate most of what the TOTL planars can do when modded. As far as I am aware, it does not exist.

Most planars are heavier than the HE400 which immediately remove them from consideration too. There is just so much going for the HE400 but I feel it is ignored in the community due to it's cheap price/budget planar status and the fact that it require EQing or modding.

I think you are right about that ....If I had not stumble on an AKG K 340 that I modified completely...The he 400 is good if you compared right....

Dec 29, 2017 at 7:48 PM Post #21,949 of 22,116

Agreed...............my fully modded HE-400, fed straight from speaker taps, sounds excellent and the bass they can offer is incredible. Not quite HE-6 level but for a $200 can, dang good..............still pull them on once in a while for a change of pace (Pioneer SE Master 1 is my primary can).

Dec 29, 2017 at 8:43 PM Post #21,950 of 22,116
Agreed...............my fully modded HE-400, fed straight from speaker taps, sounds excellent and the bass they can offer is incredible. Not quite HE-6 level but for a $200 can, dang good..............still pull them on once in a while for a change of pace (Pioneer SE Master 1 is my primary can).

Nice to see one of the OGs in this thread :)

And yeah, that's it isn't it - I completely agree with the not quite HE6 bit but the HE400 gets really close and for the price, it is a silly bargain which most average Joe would opt for.

I'm going to have to try the Pioneers again since you mention it is your primary can. I only had a short audition on those.

Jan 6, 2018 at 10:53 PM Post #21,952 of 22,116
I have the he500 and he400i, how does the he400 compare?
HE400 is a better sounding headphone than the HE400i IMO and going on memory of the HE500 the HE400 has a better low end but is missing the mids of the HE500 which I really liked.
My HE400 is modded: sorbothane, new ear pads, a custom grill mod with hard rubber pad in the middle of the grill.

Jan 24, 2018 at 6:59 PM Post #21,953 of 22,116
Time for the new cable I guess...

Can someone recommend decent quality cable, 5-6ft length, is not soaked in snake oil and therefore reasonably priced?

Jan 24, 2018 at 8:52 PM Post #21,954 of 22,116
Time for the new cable I guess...

Can someone recommend decent quality cable, 5-6ft length, is not soaked in snake oil and therefore reasonably priced?
I have a spare from my HE400 that I don't use since its too short (5ft) for how I setup my listening area.
5 ft SPC cable.jpg
made with SPC wire that was braided and sleeved with paracord and has a wood splitter.
send me a PM if interested

Jan 25, 2018 at 3:55 AM Post #21,956 of 22,116
@Tai1or Made, Have you tried to add more sorbothane? I found that my HE400 sounded a bit better with more sorbothane spaced 2-3mm apart for 5mm squares. Also might want to put a grill for some protection and also to tune the mids, something like this:
HE-400_Grill mod-2b.jpg
I added a hard rubber piece in the middle of the grill and it helps to bring up the mids so its not as V shaped

Jan 25, 2018 at 4:19 AM Post #21,958 of 22,116
I found the grill was really needed when I have friends over since some will pick them up in various ways that their fingers would touch the drivers so I needed to be safe and the grill material I used is like having nothing there. I did do a slightly different one at first that I used silk organza since its suppose to be acoustically transparent. I think there are some pictures of it in my gallery.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back