**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Oct 11, 2016 at 7:12 PM Post #21,706 of 22,116

I am using the 40 Duro sorb, 1/8th inch I think.

Is the 70 duro truly different / superior? I'm still not fully understanding how, why the stuff works so darn good. But then again I had my HE-400s sounding just about right - not sure its worth the trouble all over again, and the expense . . .

i dont want to ruin your mod if you are glad with it....But i think after experimenting with it that duro 70 is better in audio .... is it worth the trouble? for me yes, but for you i dont know....Dont kill me after that.... But it is no big deal to try....
beerchug.gif

I dont know like you  why the stuff works.... but it is surely efficient to absorb vibration and transforming it into heat,  sorb. dont only  isolate that is for sure...

Oct 11, 2016 at 7:13 PM Post #21,707 of 22,116
  @ilmothedude, I've been using an aluminum grill that is used for automotive applications which is really strong and for dust protection I use silk organza:

Since the grill material is too thick to fit the plastic retaining ring back I made the grills a tight fit to hold them on

very beautiful.... I am jealous ...

Oct 11, 2016 at 7:15 PM Post #21,708 of 22,116
@ilmothedude
, I've been using an aluminum grill that is used for automotive applications which is really strong and for dust protection I use silk organza:

Since the grill material is too thick to fit the plastic retaining ring back I made the grills a tight fit to hold them on
I used the same stuff as David did as he recommended it to me. I took my Dremel and ground down the edges and a sharp knife to the slits and go the ring to work just fine. One side done the other might have to wait till tomorrow but am happy so far. Need to find some material and get the sorb added.
Is the sorbothane added in 1/4 " chunks spaced a 1/4" apart or is there no set way?

Oct 11, 2016 at 7:56 PM Post #21,710 of 22,116
@buke9
, cutting the slits to fit the rings is a great idea, might do that one of these days.

I did the sorbothane in 3/8" square and spaced about 3/8" to 1/4"
I gave it a little slice and scrape and it fit just fine. I think the grinding helped a bit also. That probably what I'll do 3/8" to a 1/4" spaced accordingly . Still looking at the drivers and the plastic covering to holes in what I believe is the magnets I think I might shave them also. Dremel and a vacuum hose would make quick work of it. That might have to wait though want to get these done for the Nashville meet at the end of the month. Thanks.

Oct 24, 2016 at 9:46 PM Post #21,715 of 22,116
The grill mod. after sorbothane will be a great thing! 

i cannot resist to say something about the original grills of my he 400... i dont use them and  in a flash of light, i decide to tape them on the rear port of my mission v60 speakers, the grills act now like a filter and the flow of air is not totally obstructed  with these grills... Guess what!  this mods on my speakers is more spectacular than any of the mods i have try till now! 
atsmile.gif

If you have no use of the original grills of the he 400 , try them and tape them on the port of your speakers,  the improvement for sure depend of your room, and of your speakers enclosure, and of the diameter of the port but  perhaps you will be very positively surprize like me... Ok i apologize for this partially  off thread remark about speakers 
redface.gif

Oct 25, 2016 at 2:40 PM Post #21,716 of 22,116

Now fan grills are installed aswell, they arrived today. Was more of work to install those than I thought but it turned out quite good.  Plastic is very thick and grills are very sturdy. Now sorb pieces are safe from my fingers!
wink.gif

Oct 25, 2016 at 3:15 PM Post #21,717 of 22,116
Hi folks,

After a lot of reading, I decided to buy some HE400S. Can't wait to get my hands on them. These will be my first pair of higher end headphones, upgrading from Grado's SR60 which served me well for 5+ years. 

I need some advice on amps. I have the following at my disposal, how would they perform?

- Macbook pro, no amp
- Macbook pro + FiiO E5
- FiiO X3
- Focusrite Scarlett 2i2

Do I really need something else? I'm going above budget to get the headphones so I'd prefer not buying anything else if these will give me acceptable results. 
Thanks a lot for your input!

Oct 25, 2016 at 4:05 PM Post #21,718 of 22,116
Hi folks,

After a lot of reading, I decided to buy some HE400S. Can't wait to get my hands on them. These will be my first pair of higher end headphones, upgrading from Grado's SR60 which served me well for 5+ years. 

I need some advice on amps. I have the following at my disposal, how would they perform?

- Macbook pro, no amp
- Macbook pro + FiiO E5
- FiiO X3
- Focusrite Scarlett 2i2

Do I really need something else? I'm going above budget to get the headphones so I'd prefer not buying anything else if these will give me acceptable results. 

I'm sure your set up will drive the HE400 adequately but they really shine when fed power. The Cayin C5 would be a good value for money choice to get into the next level of amping. The C5 is incredible and even drives my HE560 superbly. Truly spectacular amp for the money.

Oct 25, 2016 at 4:06 PM Post #21,719 of 22,116
I also enjoy driving my HE400 straight from the speaker outputs of my Arcam Alpha 8 integrated amplifier and they sound phat.

Oct 25, 2016 at 4:32 PM Post #21,720 of 22,116
Hi folks,

- Macbook pro, no amp
- Macbook pro + FiiO E5
- FiiO X3
- Focusrite Scarlett 2i2

Do you mean 400's or 400S's?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back