**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Feb 27, 2016 at 2:55 AM Post #21,346 of 22,116
Please do.

Just need to remind people, this is coming from Focus Pads to the vegan pads. No other mods. I've done the outer grill removal before, and didn't feel the difference was warranted, so I didn't pursue changing the grill to something else.

Focus pads have better clarity, and midrange. Vegan has stronger bass, and obviously smoother treble (due to a general blunting of pretty much the whole spectrum... a veil/recession effect)

Now, if we're talking stock pleather vs Audeze vegan, I wouldn't know. I haven't used stock in yeeeeears.

Feb 27, 2016 at 3:00 AM Post #21,347 of 22,116
Please do.

Just need to remind people, this is coming from Focus Pads to the vegan pads. No other mods. I've done the outer grill removal before, and didn't feel the difference was warranted, so I didn't pursue changing the grill to something else.

Focus pads have better clarity, and midrange. Vegan has stronger bass, and obviously smoother treble (due to a general blunting of pretty much the whole spectrum... a veil/recession effect)

Now, if we're talking stock pleather vs Audeze vegan, I wouldn't know. I haven't used stock in yeeeeears.

I removed the grill before and didn't think it warranted the change, either.

Changed to velpads and *think* I heard a more balanced sound, but it's hard to A/B with one pair while swapping out pads. Comfort was definitely better,

We'll actually have there, count 'em three, pairs tomorrow. One's modded (grill mod, sorb mod, vegans), one's got velds (mine), and one's stock. Should be interesting...

Feb 27, 2016 at 6:11 AM Post #21,348 of 22,116
Thanks god I'm happy with the stock HE-400.
I'm fine with the pads, the sound (the mids come forward when putting my amp on high gain, so I can play with that on low/high gain if I need to).
If I would want to change the pads it would be only for the comfort, I don't want it to change anything from the sound.
The bass of the stock pads go very deep already (20Hz territory) so I find it suspicious that I read messages about some pads it gives a deeper bass,
how much deeper do you want it then if it already is that deep?
Or they must mean more quantity, then I understand.

Feb 27, 2016 at 7:03 AM Post #21,349 of 22,116
  They're considered semi-open, and the stock pads don't seal very well, so isolation/leakage isn't great. Don't know that much about the DT-1770, but from what I've read i don't think it's worth the money over the TH-X00

Thanks, that good to know. very interesting I never knew they were considered semi open, that's peaking my interest.

thanks, good listening.

Feb 27, 2016 at 12:28 PM Post #21,350 of 22,116
Please do.

Ya dude, we got that you are not hearing an improvement. Keep in mind you seem to be in the minority here, so pass your impressions off as impressions, not fact. A few of our impressions do contradict what you are saying, I am not saying what you are hearing is false, you hear what you hear. However, just make sure when you comment on things you make it clear to people those are your impressions, not gospel. You are a high profile headfi member, people will read your stuff with more authority than other's impressions. It is always good to remind people that what you hear may not be what they hear.

Peace:)

Feb 27, 2016 at 2:10 PM Post #21,351 of 22,116
Thanks god I'm happy with the stock HE-400.
I'm fine with the pads, the sound (the mids come forward when putting my amp on high gain, so I can play with that on low/high gain if I need to).
If I would want to change the pads it would be only for the comfort, I don't want it to change anything from the sound.
The bass of the stock pads go very deep already (20Hz territory) so I find it suspicious that I read messages about some pads it gives a deeper bass,
how much deeper do you want it then if it already is that deep?
Or they must mean more quantity, then I understand.

Yeah, I'm in the same boat. I did a pad swap for comfort as I haaaate any form of leather directly on my skin. The pleather is simply not an option even if it had the best sound.

By deeper, I'll speak for myself in say it brings out the bass more. You're 100% correct. Stock pads already go as deep as the HE400 goes. Other pads may just highlight that depth more (not necessary boosting bass in general, but reducing 'other' things so the linear bass is at the front of the soundscape.

The vegan pads blunts so much of the general sound, the effect is that the bass is like really forward. No hump, just all that low end is out in front.

bavinck, I mentioned that I didn't alter anything other than the pads, whereas some of you are doing other mods that affect the sound in ADDITION to the pads, and also aren't saying which pads you're comparing the vegans to. I'm comparing them with Focus pads. SIMPLY A PAD SWAP, NOTHING ELSE. Focus pad to vegan. I've mentioned that I can't speak for other pads like stock or velour as I haven't used those in ages. The only other pads I feel improve on the HE400 without bad feffects is the Shure 1540 alcantara pads out of the stuff I've tested.

How about instead of calling me the minority, you elaborate on what you guys have in addition to the pad swap, and what pads you're comparing it to?

Feb 27, 2016 at 7:24 PM Post #21,352 of 22,116
Hi all just following up on the conversation about modded HE400. Just got done listening to HE400 with velpads vs. HE400 with vegans + sorb + open grill mod. Listened out of headphone jack and speaker taps from a vintage Hitachi receiver. Here are my thoughts on them...

Modded HE400 had fuller bass with more bloom. Mids were less recessed. Highs were tamed and sibilance annihilated. Sound was very dynamic and more open.

HE400 + velpads had less bass quantity but bass was tighter. Mids weren't as present. Highs were tamed but still splashy / sibilant. Not as open.

My takeaway from this experience is that I'm now interested in driving my HE400 from a vintage receiver, and I'm going to perform the grill mod and add sorbothane dampener. After those, I'll reevaluate and see whether or not I want to add the vegans. If I can tame the high end and keep the bass tighter while bringing the mids forward a bit, I'll be a happy camper!

:beerchug:

Feb 27, 2016 at 9:56 PM Post #21,353 of 22,116
Hi all just following up on the conversation about modded HE400. Just got done listening to HE400 with velpads vs. HE400 with vegans + sorb + open grill mod. Listened out of headphone jack and speaker taps from a vintage Hitachi receiver. Here are my thoughts on them...

Modded HE400 had fuller bass with more bloom. Mids were less recessed. Highs were tamed and sibilance annihilated. Sound was very dynamic and more open.

HE400 + velpads had less bass quantity but bass was tighter. Mids weren't as present. Highs were tamed but still splashy / sibilant. Not as open.

My takeaway from this experience is that I'm now interested in driving my HE400 from a vintage receiver, and I'm going to perform the grill mod and add sorbothane dampener. After those, I'll reevaluate and see whether or not I want to add the vegans. If I can tame the high end and keep the bass tighter while bringing the mids forward a bit, I'll be a happy camper!

:beerchug:

Thanks for sharing. I will need to check out that sorb mod.

Feb 28, 2016 at 2:52 AM Post #21,354 of 22,116
So after not that long of having my HE-400s and finally getting a new headband and pads, the cable just broke. :frowning2: Broke right at the connector.Going to get one of the cheap cables on amazon instead of the OEM one.

From what I have read, I shouldn't even bother going to Hifiman since their warranty service is really bad. 

Feb 28, 2016 at 8:58 AM Post #21,355 of 22,116
I must say I am very pleased with Hifiman's customer care.
I wrecked the right driver while trying some stupid mod.
Left them laying in my closet for over 2 years because I knew
that warranty would not cover such stupidity.

Anyways, I picked them out again and e-mailed Hifiman and asked if they could help me out,
for 90 USD and cost of sending it to their service center in USA (37 dollar),
(they paid for the package to get back to me) I got a totally repaired HE-400.

I put on Brainwavz Angled Velour and I am LOVING the sound of them,
I've been using Beyer T90 for the past years but this sound is just so much more fun and engaging,
the bass slams you like a truck.

I listened to some vocal music as well and obviously they are not as revealing, sharp and precise as the T90.
Still, I think I prefer HE-400 even here, so engaging.

TL;DR Thanks Hifiman for the repair and HE-400 is the best can in it's price range.

Feb 29, 2016 at 1:54 PM Post #21,356 of 22,116
I have tested my HE 400 on my Pioneer SA-8500II, and it has more power than my Fiio E17k. The sound comes from my MSI GE60 with Realtek sound card, and they really sound very good. I will make some more tests using the Fiio E17k as a DAC. I also have a creative X-Fi Go pro that really sounds very good but has not power to move these headphones. I have ordered a Fiio K5 to my desk, but I am thinking use it on my job, because the pioneer at home I am seriuosly thinking its a better option. Cheers

Mar 2, 2016 at 7:13 AM Post #21,357 of 22,116
OMG I put on my Brainwavz Hybrid today and comfort increase SO much and so did the sound, I'm dumb for not testing those out earlier, had them laying around.
Brainwavz Hybrid > Brainwavz Angled. Best pads I've tried so far, both in comfort and in sound quality, I am in love :D

Mar 2, 2016 at 10:17 AM Post #21,358 of 22,116
  OMG I put on my Brainwavz Hybrid today and comfort increase SO much and so did the sound, I'm dumb for not testing those out earlier, had them laying around.
Brainwavz Hybrid > Brainwavz Angled. Best pads I've tried so far, both in comfort and in sound quality, I am in love :D

I am considering these as well. They are not scratchy on the ears are they? That is what put me off the angled velour HM5 pads.

Cheers.

Mar 3, 2016 at 7:16 AM Post #21,359 of 22,116
  I am considering these as well. They are not scratchy on the ears are they? That is what put me off the angled velour HM5 pads.

Cheers.

Nope mate, no scratching to/around the ears. They are like a massage for your ears while Angled being a rape on your ears.
You should buy them man, the cost is almost free. Highly recommended upgrade for you.

Cheers.

Mar 3, 2016 at 7:29 AM Post #21,360 of 22,116
  Nope mate, no scratching to/around the ears. They are like a massage for your ears while Angled being a rape on your ears.
You should buy them man, the cost is almost free. Highly recommended upgrade for you.

Cheers.

Thank you. I was considering getting some SRH1540 pads but they are expensive and hard to get in the UK. 

Cheers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back