**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Nov 3, 2015 at 4:05 PM Post #20,956 of 22,116

Treble "spike" sounds horrible. But really, in this case, it just means probably 2-3 dB "too much" response around 8-11 khz. As mentioned, a little EQ is usually all that is needed. I even listen off EQ all the time and only occasionally really hear a "problem track" where the added emphasis is distracting. Bare in mind, not ALL recordings would highlight this "spike", and a spike doesn't necessarily = harshness. Some people might like it (there are always people that crank both bass and treble).

You don't tend to hear people complain about a "bass spike", but that is equally possible and the adjective would be "boomy" or "muddy" typically.

PSB = Paul S. Barton speakers.  PSB M4U1 is the headphone that I am referring to. In short, if a balanced, neutral sound (not bright, nor dark) is what you are looking for, they are closer to it than the HE-400. If you wanted more bass, I'd try the NAD HP50 (its "warmer" twin). The main issue I have with the PSBs is that I sometimes feel that the bass should be up a few dB (same issue I had with the HE-400s initially) - but then again there has to be bass in the recording to be bass in the speaker.
biggrin.gif

I see... thanks...

FWIW though... my music is a bit on the trebly/bright side...  I'm not sure if you took a look at my music, or not, but if you haven't would you mind seeing if anything spikes to you? (also if this would work well for my music)....

I'm not a big fan of crazy bass either :p.

Thanks for the tips, it's hard as hell to know What I'm looking for, but I like bright songs, I love energy, exciting music, that's fun.  A lot of my music is adrenaline pumping and just makes you want to move..

then there is this thread http://www.head-fi.org/t/785486/looking-for-a-great-pair-headphones-for-fast-music-details-inside

full of super amazing Jams... :)

Nov 3, 2015 at 7:20 PM Post #20,957 of 22,116
I did listen to your demo tracks.

I also listened to the interesting playback of various headphones through my PSBs, which should be more neutral and therefore more representative of the "headphones playing through a second pair of headphones". I had an issue with that process however, as the fit against the fake ears is not always good, and the recording quality seemed to change at points. Also, using the Fiio amp, that has a known 10 ohm output impedance was a bad choice - it may have been effecting the sound of the lower-impedance headphones.

What I can say is that the Philips seemed to have more bass, and more treble, than the AKGs and Audio Technicas. I liked the AKG demo but they sounded, hmm, a little less dynamic? Probably one of those 3 would be my top choices, and the Philips X2s seemed the most promising (I don't mind a slightly "hyped" sound if it errs on smooth). The Sennheisers sounded pretty bad (probably not the case the real life but as a Senn owner I get the "veil" critique and you would likely find them too soft).

Given that my HE-400s are modded, I don't feel comfortable guaranteeing you that the treble is too hot or "just right".

Innerfidelity just raved about the new Hifiman 400S cans - and I would seriously consider them at $300 - even if the bass is a bit "rolled off" (really I look for strong response in the audible range, about 40hz-100hz). Given that they are like a planar version of the HD600s, I am sure they are worth a look. I'd also plug the PSB M4U1s, so clean, and so balanced for $250 they are really a great deal if you give them a great amp and DAC (they are awesome on the O2 and ODAC). They can punch, and the treble is awesome. there is a reason they were the Wirecutter's top pick for 2 years running (at the $300 dollar price point, and they give up little to the Oppo PM3's but some added resolution).

The Oppo PM3s are on my list when and if I fall into some big money in the future - a neutral sounding planar would add some speed and depth I don't think you get from dynamics, and I am pretty sure they would be awesome. But I just can't do it for $400 - not when I am sure they won't be twice as good as the $200 I paid for used PSBs.

Nov 3, 2015 at 7:41 PM Post #20,958 of 22,116
I just got my HE-400's from the classifieds. Very happy with them, the previous owner had an aftermarket band pad for them but I didn't like the look of the added accessory. And the snaps for it were getting in the way of the sliders. So I opened the leather covering the band and hacked the foam out of the aftermarket pad, added it under the leather, and then redid the saddle stitching with a slightly off white waxed linen thread. I'm happy with the finished product look and the headband is WAY better. What do you all think?

Nov 3, 2015 at 7:50 PM Post #20,960 of 22,116
  Me likely.

If I ever do get around to plasti-dipping my HE-400's I'll be sure to do something similar to the headband.
smile.gif

If you decide to do this, I recommend practicing your saddle stitch on some other leather. I might replace the current leather in the future with some different leather scraps I have lying around. Remember that it won't have the nice burnished edge on the leather unless you go all out like I did. My random leatherworking skills are coming in handy right about now XD

Nov 5, 2015 at 3:14 AM Post #20,962 of 22,116
Which dac/amp would be better with the He400 between an O2/odac and aune X1S? I hesitate between these.

I recently auditioned and reviewed the Aune B1 and X1S. While I liked then, I didn't personally find the Aune sound synergized well with the HE400. Made them too hot up top for me. Of course, ymmv :wink:

Nov 5, 2015 at 3:36 AM Post #20,963 of 22,116
While the O2ODAC is a nice all-in-one (I have the ltd ed. one), I found it being a bit too sibilant with some recordings due to how neutral it is.

For the HE-400's you may want to consider a warm sounding DAC. I would recommend something like the NFB-15 to help tame down the treble.

Nov 5, 2015 at 3:38 AM Post #20,964 of 22,116
While the O2ODAC is a nice all-in-one (I have the ltd ed. one), I found it being a bit too sibilant with some recordings due to how neutral it is.

For the HE-400's you may want to consider a warm sounding DAC. I would recommend something like the NFB-15 to help tame down the treble.

Agree something warm is good. Neutral/bright DAC/amps not so good. Not overly familiar with desktop gear, though, so suggestions are good for me, too.
:beerchug:

Nov 5, 2015 at 10:36 AM Post #20,965 of 22,116
I tried the 02 amp with the HE-400s. Seemed to have plenty of power but felt it was a terrible match for the HE-400s. Maybe a good amp for the right headphones. It was just very sibilant and harsh to the point I thought something was wrong with it - sent it back and it checked out ok. After much trial and error with various amps I settled on the Pico Power - hooked it up with the HE-400 and it one of those immediate "aha" synergy moments. Match made in heaven. :smile:

Nov 5, 2015 at 10:50 AM Post #20,966 of 22,116
Which dac/amp would be better with the He400 between an O2/odac and aune X1S? I hesitate between these.

I've been using the O2/ODAC for years and think its a perfect match for the HE-400s - totally black, more than enough power etc. It is also affordable - I'd rather recommend you "mod" your headphones lightly than screw around looking for the right distortion profile from Amp/DAC equipment.

I plugged my realtek chipset into the O2 the other day for kicks, do see if I could hear a difference. Higher noise level (hissing present at max volume so not totally black like the ODAC). Sound quality was good, a little "softer" for sure, but the ESS Sabre in the ODAC really just "etches" out details and adds depth that I keep coming back to - it really is an exceptional sound. The realtek setup is not what I call "harsh", but it is fatiguing because as you crank it up looking for details, they never fully present themselves. So I "squint" my ears more.

The Aune is compatible with a wider number of formats than the O2/ODAC and has some nice features, but unless you are integrating with a home stereo, I don't like a) not being able to find specs anywhere (looks like a Wolfson DAC so at least that is promising) 2) Using RCA plugs when the world is dominated by 3.5mm right now and 3) No amp power spec or output impedance spec.

If you need DSD support, the Rev. B ODAC can do it I believe.

Nov 5, 2015 at 10:55 AM Post #20,967 of 22,116
I tried the 02 amp with the HE-400s. Seemed to have plenty of power but felt it was a terrible match for the HE-400s. Maybe a good amp for the right headphones. It was just very sibilant and harsh to the point I thought something was wrong with it - sent it back and it checked out ok. After much trial and error with various amps I settled on the Pico Power - hooked it up with the HE-400 and it one of those immediate "aha" synergy moments. Match made in heaven. :smile:

The Pico looks great but - dang that thing costs way more than the headphones themselves! Does it really beat a $120-$130 O2?

Nov 5, 2015 at 12:25 PM Post #20,968 of 22,116
I was a bit tired of trying amps so I gave it a chance (just to try it out :wink:) - intent was that I would return or sell it. An expensive assumption but so much better than anything else I tried, including (by far) the 02. Worth it? To me yes, but money wasn't the entire issue. This combo made such beautiful sound and helped relieve a very stressful work situation.

Of course the HE400 cable broke shortly thereafter which cost me more $$$.....:flushed: Wanted something shorter and figured while I was spending why not go for it. That particular money was not so well spent but the Pico Power is pure gold with the HE400 - don't plan on ever parting with it.

Nov 6, 2015 at 10:49 AM Post #20,969 of 22,116
I was a bit tired of trying amps so I gave it a chance (just to try it out :wink:) - intent was that I would return or sell it. An expensive assumption but so much better than anything else I tried, including (by far) the 02. Worth it? To me yes, but money wasn't the entire issue. This combo made such beautiful sound and helped relieve a very stressful work situation.

Of course the HE400 cable broke shortly thereafter which cost me more $$$.....:flushed: Wanted something shorter and figured while I was spending why not go for it. That particular money was not so well spent but the Pico Power is pure gold with the HE400 - don't plan on ever parting with it.

Does your Pico use the Wolfson DAC? What is your source? I'm just curious because other reviewers have described it as a "wire with gain" and very neutral - aka the O2. So, other than a smidgen more power perhaps, it should also be a "bad match" to the HE-400. But TBH I am not one to subscribe too much to the concept of "amp pairing". Or the notion that the O2 doesn't sound amazing - it stomps every headamp I have around me.

Nov 6, 2015 at 12:26 PM Post #20,970 of 22,116
Funny how all of our ears are different...:smile: BTW, I think the 02 is a bargain - for some reason it just didn't sound good to me with the HE400. Maybe just a bad unit, the day, or I was sensitive to some interaction between the two. I will also say that with many headphones my experience has been that amp types/flavors don't make huge differences in sound. Not so with the HE400.

I've used a Rockboxed IPod 5.5g (Wolfsen), DragonFly (Sabre), and Fiio X5 (TI/BurrBrown) with the Pico Power and HE400s. I believe I primarily auditioned the 02 with the IPod 5.5g using lossless FLAC files.

Appreciate your feedback on the sorbothane mod - think your impressions closely align with my experience. Definitely worthwhile!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back