**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Apr 26, 2015 at 6:19 PM Post #19,966 of 22,116
haven't kept up in forever, are you guys meaning to say these veganpads are better aurally than the velour jergpads modular made and sold way back?

I thought the consensus was they were comfortable but not nearly as balanced of a sound sig

i guess as with all sounds sigs and prefs, ymmv. 

are you guys at all tempted to try out he-400i either?

Hifiman, started making there own versions of the jerpads called the focus pads. You can pick the up from head direct and amazon.

The focus pads should sound like the jerg pads, and th (edit, audeze vegan pads) should also have a different sound sig.

I havent tried any of these yet though, so cant comment on the sound.

I was thinking about 400i but decided against it because I want to mod lots of stuff on the he-400. The 400i is to expsenaive for me to change the ear pads and get cables and extras. I also heard the sound sig is different.

Good listening.

Apr 26, 2015 at 7:03 PM Post #19,967 of 22,116
the focus pads look interesting! velour on contact w ears and pleather otherwise seems smart to not have it be a dust attractor 

still gonna stay put with what I've got though, I'm really happy with it 

Apr 26, 2015 at 8:50 PM Post #19,968 of 22,116
  the focus pads look interesting! velour on contact w ears and pleather otherwise seems smart to not have it be a dust attractor 

still gonna stay put with what I've got though, I'm really happy with it 

the pleather around the sides of the earpads are supposed to help with tune the sound (maybe better bass or something)... at least I think that's what jerg was saying with his mods. the velour on the face is just for comfort.

Apr 27, 2015 at 8:04 AM Post #19,969 of 22,116
I was thinking about 400i but decided against it because I want to mod lots of stuff on the he-400. The 400i is to expsenaive for me to change the ear pads and get cables and extras. I also heard the sound sig is different.

Good listening.

The HE-400i is a very different sounding headphone from the HE-400.  I got the HE-400 when they just dropped to $299 as that was pretty cheap for a planar headphone at that time.  After getting an early retirement bonus last year I got both the HE-400i &560 with the intent of trying all three at the same time and selling the 2 that I didn't want to keep as being redundant.  Ended up keeping all three as their sound signatures are different enough to use with various genres of music that I listen to.  If anything, the HE-400i and 560 are close enough that some would say that the HE-560 is not worth the $400 premium.

Apr 27, 2015 at 9:45 AM Post #19,970 of 22,116
  The HE-400i is a very different sounding headphone from the HE-400.  I got the HE-400 when they just dropped to $299 as that was pretty cheap for a planar headphone at that time.  After getting an early retirement bonus last year I got both the HE-400i &560 with the intent of trying all three at the same time and selling the 2 that I didn't want to keep as being redundant.  Ended up keeping all three as their sound signatures are different enough to use with various genres of music that I listen to.  If anything, the HE-400i and 560 are close enough that some would say that the HE-560 is not worth the $400 premium.

Interesting never knew their was such a big difference. Guess I should have realized since the 400I uses a single sided magnetic interface which allows it to be much lighter. That makes the 400I very interesting, wonder how it would compare to the he-500.

Thanks for sharing.

Apr 27, 2015 at 10:09 AM Post #19,971 of 22,116
David, how would you compare those two (400 & 560). I was looking to make the 560's my next set. I love the sound sig of the 400's. They see more time than the he-500's.

Apr 27, 2015 at 12:01 PM Post #19,972 of 22,116

Interesting never knew their was such a big difference. Guess I should have realized since the 400I uses a single sided magnetic interface which allows it to be much lighter. That makes the 400I very interesting, wonder how it would compare to the he-500.

Thanks for sharing.

Sorry can't help you with the HE-500 as I've never heard them.

Apr 27, 2015 at 12:23 PM Post #19,974 of 22,116
David, how would you compare those two (400 & 560). I was looking to make the 560's my next set. I love the sound sig of the 400's. They see more time than the he-500's.

I haven't heard a HE-500 so can't make any comments there, go to the HD-650 thread, many there seem to have the HE-500 there and most seem to like it as a complimentary headphone to the HD-650.

The difference between the HE-400 and HE-560 is quite large, the HE-400 has a somewhat V shape sound signature while the HE-560 is more neutral/flat. 
HE-400: great low extension for EDM and some classic rock.  Mids are recessed. Highs can be a bit sibilant at times.  I like it better with my Ember, low impedance setting, neutral/bright sounding tube (Telefunken or Mullard)

HE-560: will take more power to drive correctly and has a balanced sound signature.  Lows are not quite like HE-400 but better defined.  Mids are just right to me, neutral.  Highs are nicely extended but can be a little to bright at times.  Better paired with Lyr2 (CCa or Amperex/Bugle boy).  Love jazz, new age, and K-pop/J-pop with the HE-560, the sound is a little more dynamic than the HD-650 but the mids on the HD-650 are hard to beat.

have a great day
darthsmile.gif

May 1, 2015 at 6:55 PM Post #19,978 of 22,116
I received my HE-400's today. Got a used pair for $250 and they are in good condition with the white drivers. My other headphones are the AT-M50x and the Sennheiser HD-600, both of which I find very pleasing to listen to. I have to say, I was beyond disappointed by these headphones. The frequency response is actually unbearable for me.

Keep in mind, I'm coming from a TON of time on my HD-600's. I absolutely love them and I'm beginning to doubt that I'm going to find anything that I find truly superior to them. They just work so well for my purposes. I find the HD-600 through my O2+ODAC very smooth, clean, musical, and yet realistic. It sounds like I'm right there with the artists. Even the bass response is actually quite excellent with the HD-600. Bass guitars are easily picked out and very clean, it just doesn't extend really low into sub bass. That isn't a huge deal for me though, since sub bass doesn't really add much to the sound for me and rather just thumps on my ear drums. The mid range is obviously a strong point of the HD-600 and I would go as far as to call it gorgeous. When you get to the treble it's clear but rolled back just enough to not be too strident and harsh. I think I am probably sensitive to upper mids and treble.

Unfortunately, what I found with the HE-400 is that the midrange where many vocals occur sounds withdrawn and there is a very harsh sound at the frequency of the cymbals in most songs. Not only is it harsh, but it has an unnatural sound which I can't really describe, but it sounds like a digital sound rather than real (Maybe this is sibilance? It has this ringing "shhhhhh" kind of sound). It is so severe that it actually makes my ear drums physically uncomfortable. The cymbals are just clanging away right in my face in a way that I can only really characterize as harsh. This was the case both through the O2+ODAC and directly plugged into the MSi Z87-G45 motherboard (Which actually has pretty good onboard audio). The O2+ODAC seemed to make it worse actually, where I find that the O2+ODAC improves both my AT-M50x and my HD-600 substantially. I also found the HE-400 significantly more uncomfortable compared to the HD-600. There's no way I could wear those for 4+ hours like I do with my HD-600's. 

I was really hoping these would be a good addition to my collection and I was excited to try my first planar magnetic headphone, but they sound so bad that I am probably going to return them immediately. Perhaps I got a bad pair, but it's not like they lack clarity and they don't sound like the drivers are blown out. They just sound like they have a nasty spike in the frequency response curve which dominates the sound and makes it unenjoyable for me. They also lack the natural sound of the HD-600. I did mess with EQ some, but I found that it just made them sound even less natural. Even the AT-M50x's frequency response sounds superior to my ears. I will say that the bass is pretty good on the HE-400, but it is overpowered by that nasty behavior on the top end for me. Maybe I am just overly sensitive to this frequency range? On the bright side, it was a learning experience and now I know a little bit more about my own preferences. I'll be interested to hear another HE-400 on a different person's setup sometime to see if it was just a bad pair.

May 1, 2015 at 7:47 PM Post #19,979 of 22,116
the problem is not the he 400......but the pairing with very analytical  amp and dac....o2+odac.... I had the same problem in the beginning with the Aune t 1 amp+dac... too analytical for the He 400..... Now i use the tube Ember amp ...no problem  in the higher frequencies....The he 400 is marvellous for the price and no match for my ath m 50.....
evil_smiley.gif
redface.gif
wink_face.gif

May 1, 2015 at 7:47 PM Post #19,980 of 22,116
@shawtuw, I would give it like a week or so of listening time to let your brain get used to the different sound signature, but at the end of the week, if you still don't like it, just return it.

if you want to try a planar with good mids, I would suggest the PM-3 (closed portable $400), HE-500 or HE-400i ($500ish or less nowadays), or if your budget can stretch the HE-560.(can be found as low as $600 used to $900 MSRP).

edit: I do agree the a nice warm tube hybrid amplifier sounds better with the HE-400, but I don't think it's worth redoing your whole set-up just to try to get a headphone sound sig to match your preferences. much easier just to swap headphones.

hope this was helpful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back