**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Feb 5, 2015 at 11:07 AM Post #19,351 of 22,116
Hehe, old weirdo
wink.gif
 HE-400 still surprises me every day.

Feb 5, 2015 at 1:12 PM Post #19,352 of 22,116
  I like all music, even some stuff people think is weird, like Mozart or Bach, i'm 19
rolleyes.gif

Great song for testing the HE-400, eargasm all the way
L3000.gif

Mozart and Bach weird?  Only a weird person would think that!!

Feb 5, 2015 at 1:33 PM Post #19,354 of 22,116

Mozart and Bach weird?  Only a weird person would think that!!

Hehe, yes that is true......
biggrin.gif

But most of the 19 year old guys ( Non HeadFi ) are blasting Trap crap into Apple EarPods at around 120dB
deadhorse.gif

Yep, they're the weirdos!  Actualy, I'm not being a snob, I love ALL sorts of music, from death metal to big band jazz, large scale late Romantic symphonic works to solo piano and motown!  Good music is good music, regardless of genre, it's just sad and ironic that a lot of music with 'substance' gets slated.  It's quite an annoying reflection of the uncultured societies we live in. That's a conversation for another thread though!  In the meantime, was really enjoying Pink Floyd's new 'Endless River' yesterday.  Sounds fabulous through my PC>HRT Microstreamer>Cayin C5>HE400

Feb 5, 2015 at 8:38 PM Post #19,356 of 22,116
  Yep, they're the weirdos!  Actualy, I'm not being a snob, I love ALL sorts of music, from death metal to big band jazz, large scale late Romantic symphonic works to solo piano and motown!  Good music is good music, regardless of genre, it's just sad and ironic that a lot of music with 'substance' gets slated.  It's quite an annoying reflection of the uncultured societies we live in. That's a conversation for another thread though!  In the meantime, was really enjoying Pink Floyd's new 'Endless River' yesterday.  Sounds fabulous through my PC>HRT Microstreamer>Cayin C5>HE400

I love the new Floyd.........................

Feb 6, 2015 at 9:08 AM Post #19,359 of 22,116
Feb 6, 2015 at 3:34 PM Post #19,360 of 22,116
Just got a pair to mod.
On first listen there seems to be good potential here. (I have a fully moded HE-6).
Changed the pads to Dennon D7000, opened the grills. But that made them too "hot".
Changed the grills to the old HE-6 with foam and "stuffing", less sibilant but still needs some improvement and lost some decay.
Has any one tried the Fazer mod? I may give that a go this WE.
By the way, these do need power, not the same as HE-6 obviously but they definitely benefit from some headroom in the same way. The M-8 has more space and detail then the solo with ALO continental. But switching from the M8 to the vintage Toshiba doesn't make as big a diff.
All IMO and still burning in.

Feb 6, 2015 at 3:54 PM Post #19,361 of 22,116
  Kraftwerk, anyone?

I had forgotten all about them. I had some vinyl but that got tossed back in the 1980s (which I deeply regret, now). I will have to check Amazon for their stuff. Suggestions on the "one" album to purchase?

Feb 7, 2015 at 2:43 AM Post #19,362 of 22,116
HE-400 is simply the best HP at its price. Period. And it's sensitive enough for portable listening too. The resolution is just superb. Some don't like the Audiophiliac man, but he's right on this phone. It's simply amazing.

Feb 7, 2015 at 6:02 AM Post #19,363 of 22,116

I had forgotten all about them. I had some vinyl but that got tossed back in the 1980s (which I deeply regret, now). I will have to check Amazon for their stuff. Suggestions on the "one" album to purchase?

Hmmm, that's a tough one to call.. I'll suggest to decide for yourself using youtube first
tongue.gif

I would regret tossing them too, but I wasn't even born yet in the 80s haha

Feb 7, 2015 at 11:50 AM Post #19,364 of 22,116
HE-400 is simply the best HP at its price. Period. And it's sensitive enough for portable listening too. The resolution is just superb. Some don't like the Audiophiliac man, but he's right on this phone. It's simply amazing.

There's lots that will disagree with your statement. Perhaps this is your opinion but far from fact. As far as portable listening...noway. They need power regardless of sensitivity and sound poor without enough juice. 

Feb 7, 2015 at 11:53 AM Post #19,365 of 22,116
There's lots that will disagree with your statement. Perhaps this is your opinion but far from fact. As far as portable listening...noway. They need power regardless of sensitivity and sound poor without enough juice. 

Try it with the iPhone 6. You'll be surprised.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back