**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Dec 23, 2014 at 9:48 PM Post #18,663 of 22,116
  Your headband is much sexier than mine. I bought the one at the URL below.

http://www.amazon.com/Replacement-Leatherette-Universal-Sennheiser-Beyerdynamic/dp/B00862522A/

Tell me more about yours. Where do I get one?

What kind of headband is that?!?!?

Sorry for the late reply guys.  Just came home from work tho.
Actually it was a transplant surgery, the headband comes from the Corsair Vengeance 1500 that i don't use anymore =)))
The Vengeance's ear pads that was moved to the Tasktar HI2025.

Dec 23, 2014 at 10:04 PM Post #18,664 of 22,116

Sorry for the late reply guys.  Just came home from work tho.
Actually it was a transplant surgery, the headband comes from the Corsair Vengeance 1500 that i don't use anymore =)))
The Vengeance's ear pads that was moved to the Tasktar HI2025.

Well, heck. Sought replacement parts for the 1500 but not finding them. Maybe, I will email corsair support and make an inquiry, but I am pretty happy with the overpriced one I have. :)

Dec 27, 2014 at 9:07 PM Post #18,668 of 22,116
  Hi Folks, new owner here from Spain,

I really love the sound, and match very well with my equipment, an upgrade from my old ones, but i found something strange in the sound signature. I use the velours and have no problem with the recessed mids neither the sibilance but I found very weird the drums, or more precissely the bass drums and cymbals, weird as harsh and not natural. To me its like you put an orquestra with very fine instruments there but a garbage can to play the bass drums.

Am I the only one that notices this? I already check the drivers and I have the correct version.

Regards.

You're not the only one. I find HE-400 bass artificial sounding, especially noticeable on drums. My recent upgrade to the 400i is really worth it, much better IMO.
I'm just sticking around this thread so I can sell my 400s

Dec 27, 2014 at 9:30 PM Post #18,669 of 22,116
Drums aren't made up of only bass, there's also plenty of treble elements to them too, and the HE-400 is rather recessed in the 4-5khz range, which most of the 'snap' and 'slap' of drums are.

The bass itself though is very realistic-- completely linear and fast decaying.  The 400i was an upgrade to mids and to some extent the treble over the 400, but a downgrade in bass.

Dec 27, 2014 at 9:45 PM Post #18,670 of 22,116
  Drums aren't made up of only bass, there's also plenty of treble elements to them too, and the HE-400 is rather recessed in the 4-5khz range, which most of the 'snap' and 'slap' of drums are.

The bass itself though is very realistic-- completely linear and fast decaying.  The 400i was an upgrade to mids and to some extent the treble over the 400, but a downgrade in bass.

I very much disagree. I find the 400i to have better sub bass extension and greater speed. The bass sounds less smooth and better-defined. Only fault I can find with 400i vs 400 is its lack of very-high treble energy, making treble instruments a bit harder to place. Then again, this hobby is all about opinions and I can disagree and respect your views simultaneously. Also, I would agree with your statement months ago about the 400i having a little midbass bump, even though I didn't agree at the time

Dec 27, 2014 at 9:54 PM Post #18,671 of 22,116
They both roll off at around 30-35hz, there isn't much of a difference in extension.  LCD series and HE-560 by comparison, have slightly better extension as they go down to around 25hz realistically; 20hz and below with the absolute perfect seal.

And yea the treble spike of the original HE-400 was moved down from around 12khz to 9khz, so there isn't as much perceived extreme upper treble with the 400i.  

Dec 28, 2014 at 2:07 AM Post #18,672 of 22,116
  They both roll off at around 30-35hz, there isn't much of a difference in extension.  LCD series and HE-560 by comparison, have slightly better extension as they go down to around 25hz realistically; 20hz and below with the absolute perfect seal.

And yea the treble spike of the original HE-400 was moved down from around 12khz to 9khz, so there isn't as much perceived extreme upper treble with the 400i.  

Yeah, I'm not saying that the 400i dig down to 20hz or anything, more that I get little to no perception of subbass on my 400. Everyone seems to think their bass is great, but I disagree. Maybe my pair just isn't the cream of the crop :p

Dec 28, 2014 at 7:03 AM Post #18,673 of 22,116
Is the he-400 bass completely linear with all the different pads, or just the default pleather? 

Quote:

Dec 28, 2014 at 1:10 PM Post #18,675 of 22,116
He-400 bass extension is def better than the he-400i.

You gotta listen to songs that really dig deep to notice it. I believe the frequency graphs also told the same story.

Personally I got rid of my he-400i because of the lack of subbass and more intimate soundstage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back