**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Feb 23, 2014 at 11:45 AM Post #16,501 of 22,116

I don't have an answer for you but wanted to echo that I'm also finding the tonal balance of these headphones pretty disappointing. My setup:

In Amarra I'm running parametic as follow right now -
Freq, DB, Q
250, -10, 1   ????? - why
2700, 4, .9    ????? - huh
8000, -15, 10 ????? - the spike isn't THAT big

I'm very confused by this purchase. I only have about 20 hours on the HE-400's and will update if I start to understand and enjoy them better or if they really change during 120 hours of burn in. The Amperiors DID change a lot over burn in time.

Music Styles Listening To:
Pop
EDM
Classical
Jazz

Disappointment sux when you've coughed up $400.

But seriously, I would cancel that EQ setting pronto (it seems all wrong). You owe it to yourself to get used to the sound of the phones before "tweaking" them - trust me, they get better with some head-time. The HE-400 are voiced very well out-of-box, and I've never felt a need to tweak more than a couple Db here and there.

If you MUST EQ right away, I suggest the following (as a basic tweak):

50 hz: 2.5dB gain, Q 2.10   (adds good bass weight. Not always needed but I think its fun)
9 khz: -2.0dB gain, Q .44    (tame the treble spike)
12.5 khz: -2.2dB gain, Q .82 (helps to bring extreme treble into balance with mids)
Global Gain cut: -2.5 dB (mitigate distortion)

I also have a setting to bring up the upper mids/treble between 2-5 khz, but that is still part of an 'experiment'. The HE-400 take EQing awesomely - much better than my dynamics.

For the record I am also using the velours. Switching to those is also a good idea as they sound way better than stock pleathers (a little more neutral) and are less fatiguing.

Feb 23, 2014 at 12:37 PM Post #16,502 of 22,116

Sorry, my mistake; new to head-fi, reading posts in the wrong order.

Hey, no worries. There has been quite a bit of water under the bridge since I made that comment. 
biggrin.gif

We all knew that we wanted something better. I went to Lawton with a request to make new pads and got about half way there before he bailed on the project. Then, fortunately for all of us, Jerg took matters into his own hands. The rest is history. 

beerchug.gif

Feb 23, 2014 at 2:21 PM Post #16,503 of 22,116
Finally got in a short headphone cable I ordered a month ago via amazon.  http://www.amazon.com/Silver-Carefully-Hifiman-Headphone-Upgrade/dp/B00FI5V7RC/  The microphonics are certainly noticable, but I'm not that likely to take these for walks with the dog, not given how hot it gets in the summer.  The door stop design at the base of the cable is amusing and certainly allows for some flex.  It uses a red/blue side indicator that is far more apparent than the picture provided.  As far as the looks of the cable, its actually really quite beautiful.  The braiding is quite aesthetically pleasing.  Finally having a shorter cable is something that will very much increase my listening time on this headphone.  

Feb 23, 2014 at 5:27 PM Post #16,504 of 22,116
I am dropping the price of my HE400 for quick sale, £199 delivered RMSD to UK. They work perfectly but one of the pads has a bit of a split in it (although they are jergmodded and still sound better than the stock pads) the right cable has a kink next to the connector, which can cause it to cut out sometimes when the connector becomes loose, both of these things are fixable (you could get the cable fixed for not much money) or replaceable (cables cheap on ebay), other than this they work perfectly, they are the good revision with the white drivers, complete with box and all accessories, including royal mail special delivery. £199.

Feb 23, 2014 at 5:51 PM Post #16,505 of 22,116
  I downloaded a Electri-Q preset for the HE-400 that boosts the upper mids.  However I have no idea how to get it working with Foobar2000.  

in case u didn't figure it out,

just right click  on the default tab (that has the different presets from Electri-Q).

and click import preset.

Feb 23, 2014 at 6:14 PM Post #16,506 of 22,116
  Disappointment sux when you've coughed up $400.

But seriously, I would cancel that EQ setting pronto (it seems all wrong). You owe it to yourself to get used to the sound of the phones before "tweaking" them - trust me, they get better with some head-time. The HE-400 are voiced very well out-of-box, and I've never felt a need to tweak more than a couple Db here and there.

50 hz: 2.5dB gain, Q 2.10   (adds good bass weight. Not always needed but I think its fun)
12.5 khz: -2.2dB gain, Q .82 (helps to bring extreme treble into balance with mids)

I also have a setting to bring up the upper mids/treble between 2-5 khz, but that is still part of an 'experiment'. The HE-400 take EQing awesomely - much better than my dynamics.

For the record I am also using the velours. Switching to those is also a good idea as they sound way better than stock pleathers (a little more neutral) and are less fatiguing.

Thanks, I'll give your suggestions a shot. The thing I'm having trouble wrapping my brain around is that if I run everything with no eq and plug in the Sony MA-900's and the Amperiors they sound brighter than the HE-400's but everyone keeps mentioning an objectionable treble spike with the 400's. I hear a slight spike, but not really offensive to my ears. When I try some eq settings that others have mentioned in this thread my HE-400's become absolutely dull sounding. This is using graphic, not parametric eq.

Anyway, I'll try your settings and live with these a bit longer. I'm fairly open to the idea that my brain just needs to 'hear' these differently than dynamic phones. I have some HD650'a arriving in a couple of days and I'll see how they compare.

Feb 23, 2014 at 6:22 PM Post #16,507 of 22,116

Well MrMateoHead, your settings make a big improvement. So, a big thank you for your help. Glad I posted here! When you have a minute what are your experimental settings around the 2-5khz?

Feb 23, 2014 at 7:30 PM Post #16,508 of 22,116
  Well MrMateoHead, your settings make a big improvement. So, a big thank you for your help. Glad I posted here! When you have a minute what are your experimental settings around the 2-5khz?

Glad you think so. The "treble spike" is not "objectionable" so much as it is noticeable - according to freq response charts online, the "spike" is actually of similar amplitude to the 1 khz and below freqs. So, I don't really consider it a spike. Also, with the velours, CSD plots show more of a "hill" of upper treble energy than a "spike" - one reason it probably seems more balanced. Your other phones may seem to have more treble energy because they are not "scooped out" as much in the 2-6 khz area (but most phones scoop out that area to one degree or another). Anyway, the main thing with the HE-400 is that the hi-hats cymbals have seemed to be a step louder in most recordings and I like to dial that back. I hate cymbals in concerts too - they are always too damn loud!

Many comment on "sibilance" of the HE-400 and point to the treble spike as the culprit - so that is the objectionable part. The truth is that "sibilance" by itself is a normal part of speech and music, and taming it can mean tweaking the treble and the midrange. For the most part, the HE-400 has a pretty laid-back approach to the upper mids and lower treble which avoids a lot of sound energy that I sometimes find grating and distracting (sort of like having too much mid-bass). But most of the midrange is essentially flat. That said, I don't think a lot of people have stayed with the HE-400s long enough to understand that some of the listening issues are with recordings, not the phones themselves per se. Yet they've been vocal critics. That is why it is so useful to KNOW your recordings before really getting critical. For a lot of us, I suspect the HE-400 has been "teaching" us a lot about our music library!

I have been rocking to my new Pioneer BS-22s for days, for example (with the 8 inch sub). They are awesome and smooth, but definitely more forgiving than the HE-400s. With the 400s, I can hear flaws in my recording much, much more easily. On occasion, distortion in them or bad sibilance is highlighted no matter how I EQ because the recording sux. But, in truth, I've never enjoyed piano recordings more than I do with the BS-22s, they have beautiful imaging, timbre, and just the right "weight" and "bite". Just a slightly "warm" tilt to go along with great detail. Its very addicting.
biggrin.gif
But the HE-400s just do everything with a similar effortlessness well into extreme volumes which the Pioneers can't do, with superior bass texture and dynamics. So, I can handle a little treble bite so long as it stays "musical", and both speakers are pretty darn neutral.

Anyway, here is the other adjustments I've been doing:
1000khz: -1.5 dB, Q.63
2500khz 1.5dB, Q1.66
3650khz 1.3dB, Q1.5
5000khz 1.3dB, Q.60

The affect should be a pretty smooth ramp 1-2khz, then flat to around 5khz (if used with the aforementioned treble cuts).

None of my adjustments are final, I move target frequencies around quite a lot and play with the Q all the time. The longest lasting changes have been the 50hz bump and 8-10khz trim. The HE-400s don't, for example, need much cutting outside of 20 khz. Boosting bass below say, 30 hz, is pointless because that bass is not really audible but may tax your hearing and your amp. No matter what I do, though, I still can't get the last bit of glariness out of the mids when I try piano music - that or my ears just hate some frequencies that I am still ignorant of.

Feb 25, 2014 at 9:45 PM Post #16,510 of 22,116
Hello from Duluth GA, USA.  I haven't read the first post in this thread, but thought I'd post a few quick out-of-box observations since my 'phones came today. 

The HE-400's sound great from the headphone jack on my Onkyo C-7030 CD player with the volume maxed, but I'm glad I ordered the PA2V2 amp because the volume is a bit low. Using iTunes with my PC and the AudioEngine D1 DAC, I have to cut volume back a few notches - no amp needed.

So far I've listened to Gary Burton, Ralph Towner, Hubert Laws, Gayngs, The Police and Paul Simon. They all sound great, but Rock seems to bring out the best in the HE-400s. I'm currently on a jazz kick, so I do wonder how the Sennheiser HD650's would compare to these. But I just couldn't pass these up for $300. I know my son will really enjoy his Dubstep and Nordic Metal with these if they end up trickling down to him. 

Very comfortable, and I'm having feelings of nostalgia because I remember my dad coming home from work wearing ridiculously huge headphones. Yes, he drove with them. I love my dad.

Feb 26, 2014 at 8:46 AM Post #16,511 of 22,116
^^ Very cool and welcome to the club. This thread has slowed down considerably over the past several weeks with the announcement of the new offerings by hifiman due out soon.

But...with the price reduction on both the he400 and 500 they are still a very compelling purchase. 

I'm glad that you are enjoying your 400's. Try and pick up a pick of jergpads by Modular if you can. They make an appreciable difference both in sound quality and comfort. Better yet, you'll likely be able to purchase the new pads beings used on the hp's due out in March. They should be backwards compatible. 

Good to see post from another Georgian. 
biggrin.gif

best,

Matt

Feb 26, 2014 at 12:14 PM Post #16,513 of 22,116
Just recieved my centrance HIFI-m8, and unfortunately i think that the he-400 is one of the few cans that isn't a good match with this amp IMO. Brings out the worst in the highs and doesnt do the mids any justice. My e12 sounds much better with them.

Feb 26, 2014 at 3:22 PM Post #16,514 of 22,116
This thread has slowed down considerably over the past several weeks with the announcement of the new offerings by hifiman due out soon. But...with the price reduction on both the he400 and 500 they are still a very compelling purchase. 

I haven't been following this thread very much recently, is there any more info on this? I have started eyeballing the HE-400 much more now at it's available reduced prices.

Woody

Feb 26, 2014 at 3:35 PM Post #16,515 of 22,116
I haven't been following this thread very much recently, is there any more info on this? I have started eyeballing the HE-400 much more now at it's available reduced prices.

Woody

More info on which part exactly? Yes there are new "versions" coming out and yes the prices have been reduced on the HE-400's and HE-500's. No, no one knows if the newer versions are better, but they are considerably different.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back