**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Jan 21, 2014 at 2:08 PM Post #16,115 of 22,116
Crap. Crap, crap, crap. My 16 lbs cat thinks the headphone cable is a toy. This is probably not going to end well.

At least it's just a cable and not a driver D:
The cable can easily be replaced...though at quite a cost still

Jan 21, 2014 at 2:10 PM Post #16,116 of 22,116
Heh, he might yank the cable hard enough to knock over the headphone... I might have to put it inside a cabinet when not in use as supposed to it's headphone stand. I wish it came in a case.

Jan 21, 2014 at 2:45 PM Post #16,118 of 22,116
Heh, he might yank the cable hard enough to knock over the headphone... I might have to put it inside a cabinet when not in use as supposed to it's headphone stand. I wish it came in a case.

You should have gotten a weird, black, cheap sack to put them in. Better than nothing but, having had cats, it won't stop them for long. I've seen them saw through plastic-jacketed steel-mesh braided HDTV cable. I mean, why? Because the cat felt like it, that's why. Lol.

Jan 21, 2014 at 3:14 PM Post #16,119 of 22,116
You should have gotten a weird, black, cheap sack to put them in. Better than nothing but, having had cats, it won't stop them for long. I've seen them saw through plastic-jacketed steel-mesh braided HDTV cable. I mean, why? Because the cat felt like it, that's why. Lol.

Mine was purchased b stock and never came with any sack. There's no way for my cat to get into the cabinet at least.

Jan 21, 2014 at 11:34 PM Post #16,120 of 22,116
So, letting a friend borrow my he400 because he said his Bose would spank it, and he hands me a 7 yr old stereo receiver. I'm curious, in general do receivers power headphones decently?

Jan 21, 2014 at 11:38 PM Post #16,121 of 22,116
So, letting a friend borrow my he400 because he said his Bose would spank it, and he hands me a 7 yr old stereo receiver. I'm curious, in general do receivers power headphones decently?

In general, yeah, most receivers have plenty of power and should give sound quality at least at the level of a cheap headphone amp, often better. 

Jan 21, 2014 at 11:44 PM Post #16,122 of 22,116
In general, yeah, most receivers have plenty of power and should give sound quality at least at the level of a cheap headphone amp, often better. 

Thanks, it's a beautiful looking receiver. I can't wait to see how the he400 sounds on it.

Jan 22, 2014 at 9:43 AM Post #16,123 of 22,116
When i used my receiver i got a more detailed, less weighty sound, less dynamics.  
with the schiit asgard headphone amplifier, same tonality but gave more weight to everything
matter of preference.  Basically i thought the headphone amplifier was better  and it is but afterwards
i found myself trying to mod the pads to get back some of the advantages of the receiver

Jan 22, 2014 at 9:50 AM Post #16,124 of 22,116
these planar headphones are ridiculously awesome transducers.  i haven't been listening to my rather expensive speakers lately but i played a little last night and now i'm like "where'd all this awesome sound i thought these things had?  ruh oh, dang you he-400!!!!"  
now they seam edgy, not enough weight, not smooth enough dynamics, i notice crossover.
so i'm thinking i might need to sell them or try a good amp atleast to give them a chance.  if i do sell them i'm just going to go with something cheaper with height, lots of bass and good off axis responsefor use with home theater.  then spend a little more on some really good desk tops/bookshelf speakers for the audiophile in me.  all this of course after i get 500's or 560's
definitely getting a sub or two at good ol tax time

Jan 22, 2014 at 10:29 AM Post #16,125 of 22,116

Um...heck yea!! The right receiver will power hp's beautifully especially planars like the he400. One of the best setups that I ever had was the he4 with the Pioneer sx1280 receiver. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back