**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Jan 10, 2014 at 4:35 PM Post #15,887 of 22,116
  I'm playing around with an Aune T1 and an O2+ODAC combo and I really like the latter. I am currently rolling tubes with T1 at the moment, but I feel the O2+ODAC pairs well with the he-400

IMO, solid state works well with the HE-400. Though the only tube amp I tried was rather underpowered. I'm curious about the Vali, but trying to resist the urge to buy schiit I don't really need.

I would love to have a tube amp, but it seems like you need to spend quite a bit of cash to get one that's really great. Well, it sure would be wise to save for one but hmmh... 

Jan 10, 2014 at 7:14 PM Post #15,891 of 22,116
For someone whose heard HE400 with Jergpads and HE500- does the HE500 still significantly outperform modded 400's? Prior to Modulor's Jergpads the treble was fatiguing on maybe 30% of my music. Now it's about 15%, a great improvement. Are HE500's even less fatiguing than modded 400's? Thanks for any input. I want to upgrade, but with the announcement of the HE560 not really sure what to do at all.

Jan 10, 2014 at 7:49 PM Post #15,892 of 22,116

I'm playing around with an Aune T1 and an O2+ODAC combo and I really like the latter. I am currently rolling tubes with T1 at the moment, but I feel the O2+ODAC pairs well with the he-400

IMO, solid state works well with the HE-400. Though the only tube amp I tried was rather underpowered. I'm curious about the Vali, but trying to resist the urge to buy schiit I don't really need.

I would love to have a tube amp, but it seems like you need to spend quite a bit of cash to get one that's really great. Well, it sure would be wise to save for one but hmmh... 
No you don't, my Bravo Audio Ocean is great for the money. I've got a nice Mullard valve in it and it drives all my headphones beautifully :)

Jan 10, 2014 at 8:30 PM Post #15,893 of 22,116
For someone whose heard HE400 with Jergpads and HE500- does the HE500 still significantly outperform modded 400's? Prior to Modulor's Jergpads the treble was fatiguing on maybe 30% of my music. Now it's about 15%, a great improvement. Are HE500's even less fatiguing than modded 400's? Thanks for any input. I want to upgrade, but with the announcement of the HE560 not really sure what to do at all.

Yep, the treble on the HE500 is one of its strongpoints, no fatigue. Wait for the 560 reviews though, Fang knows his stuff.

Jan 10, 2014 at 11:58 PM Post #15,894 of 22,116

Yep, the treble on the HE500 is one of its strongpoints, no fatigue. Wait for the 560 reviews though, Fang knows his stuff.
Yeah, Fang knows his stuff well enough to subtly flaw an almost great headphone enough to make you want to upgrade even when the can you bought was already over your budget. Headfi genius right there.

Don't get me wrong here, I LOVE my HifiMans... almost...

Jan 11, 2014 at 12:27 AM Post #15,895 of 22,116
Interesting comments on the O2+ODAC combo vs the Modi/Magni combo. I currently have the magni and was looking to get the modi dac to pair with it since I've read good things about these compared to the O2+ODAC. I had not noticed that there was no gain dial on the modi but figured it would not really be needed. Does the gain help that much? As of now using the magni connected to my mobo it sounds great to me, but I knew I wanted to get a dac at some point to get a better output to the HE400. I have a e17 that I use for my ath-m50s and the sounds is much better than using my e11 and headphone jack to power them. 

Those with the Modi+Magni combo what are your thoughts?

Jan 11, 2014 at 12:35 AM Post #15,896 of 22,116
Yeah, Fang knows his stuff well enough to subtly flaw an almost great headphone enough to make you want to upgrade even when the can you bought was already over your budget. Headfi genius right there.

Don't get me wrong here, I LOVE my HifiMans... almost...

I was going to counterpoint this with the HE-500s are almost flawless, then I thought about the weight...................good point lol.

Jan 11, 2014 at 12:39 AM Post #15,897 of 22,116
The main thing the gain does is limit your amp versatility.  You'll get like 1/4th of the pot to play with on the magni/modi with the HE-400, and even less with more sensitive cans.  With really sensitive cans and IEMs the magni pot is unwieldy.

Jan 11, 2014 at 3:24 AM Post #15,899 of 22,116
My DT990VB pads came in today, for anyone looking to get these I wouldn't recommend them.

They contain about 50% less foam compared to what the velour Hifimans have so ears end up touching the drivers.
They are just too small, getting them onto Hifiman mounting rings was hell as well. Back to Hifiman velours I go.

Jan 11, 2014 at 3:36 AM Post #15,900 of 22,116
  That would be a really interesting & fun experiment IMO :) can the spotify player play flac files?

yo, mog is frickin terrible. (as of 2011). the user interface is terrible. there is like a 300ish song limit per playlist. there is like a 250song favorite limit. your favorites get overwritten & randomly lost... omg don't even get me started. it was sucha terrible service. also, they false advertise that their whole library is 320kbps. it's not. no streaming service has all 320kbps for their entire library. (personal experience ymmv hahah)

To each his own, I won't argue about it, but I started on Mog a few months ago and it is definitely the best sounding streaming I've heard. And I've never had any lost tracks, low limits etc. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back