**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Nov 27, 2013 at 10:57 AM Post #14,611 of 22,116
  I listened to the song. I also get that slight scratchy tone in the vocals but that kind of sounds like it is part of the recording. No sibilants though, and the bass sounds really nice. It doesn't hit too hard but that's because the recording doesn't feature that. 

Bonus impressions, with the treble fix eq applied, the scratchy tone is gone, and the vocals sound awesome.

Thanks mate, really appreciate your thoughts.

Anyone else?

I'm down with modding. I have wood cups ready to go, but I'm still on-the-fence about the actual HE-400 purchase. 

Honestly, as I use my cans over an array of systems, I would prefer modding over EQ, as the EQ can't always "tag-along" with the product. 

Even if a parametric EQ is infinitely more precise.. So be it. 

Nov 27, 2013 at 12:14 PM Post #14,613 of 22,116

Yep well in that case brilliant, but for people who like them but find the treble an issue....

Hello to nicholars and all of you,
I have trouble with the high frequency peak of the he 400.... It was very tiring..... i purchase a cheap amp , the ocean bravo amp (120 dollars) and the extraordinary and cheap dac Hifimediy synchronus  usb portable dac, and Surprise! no problem anymore with the tizz in the higher frequency.... no need to equalize now.... My he 400 are no matches now for my ath m50 and for the fostex th-7b... and these two headphones are very good on their own...... The review on the hifimediy dac are raving because the price is ridiculous for the sound quality....... for example i own the Aune tube dac/ amp which is a very good dac but there is no comparison with the tube bravo ocean amp/ and the dac hifimediy, for the same price (under 200 dollars) this combo is marvellous. The synergy with the He 400 is better  i think the synergy is more important than anything in the choice of a amp and  dac, the choice of the headphone is the first choice and the choices of an amp and dac are only in function of the headphone...My next move will be to purchase an excellent tube amp..... and  i wait now for the asynchronus version of the hifimediy dac (50 dollars)....I think i will keep this dac for a long time..... I think that for an higher  upgrade dac  i ought to pay many hundred of dollars and i think that  this money need to go for a better quality tube amp....... The bravo audio for the price give life to the he 400...... and now i am thirsty of the quality of  tube sound........thanks to all for your time

Nov 27, 2013 at 1:06 PM Post #14,614 of 22,116
Been a couple months since I've been here.. still loving my HE-400. Still my main headphones. Financial issues caused me to sell off a lot of my headphones, a move threatened to ruin my HE-400, but in the end, all is well. Back to Head-Fi for about five minutes now and I see the Vali for the first time and I want it bad. To pair with my Magni+Modi and to use when I want a warmer sound.

FIVE MINUTES DAMNIT. I HATE THIS PLACE.

I LOVE THIS PLACE.

Nov 27, 2013 at 5:42 PM Post #14,620 of 22,116
White Lotus and whoever else  -

No sibilance bugging me either. But the bass line of that song is not that BIG, just plucky and punchy but to my ears the vocals are being emphasized over the instrumentation. I would try something from Artic Monkeys - similar pace, but a lot of bass to my ears. BTW the HE-400 just LOVE a nice bump at 50hz - lots more weight without distortion.

That is another point not oft brought up with these phones - they are very revealing. Or, put another way, not that forgiving. Without question, they will teach you a lot about your music library, and the quality of the recordings in it. The HE-400 are the first pair to really clue me in on what in my library is a very rich and well done recording, and what is not. Some might fault the phones, but I don't in those cases.

BTW another point is just that "sibilance' is usually a dirty word - but there is a difference between sibilance that is part of the recording / reality of speech and music, and sibilance that is introduced by an annoying speaker.

The HE-400 are totally awesome and if they hook you, there is no going back.
wink_face.gif

Nov 27, 2013 at 8:53 PM Post #14,623 of 22,116
I see you guys are making a lot of jokes about people mentioning mods too much - unfortunately this thread is edging ever-so-close to 1000 pages long.

Is there some kind of "mod" that eliminates sibilance? Or is EQ the only answer?

Nov 27, 2013 at 10:13 PM Post #14,624 of 22,116
  I see you guys are making a lot of jokes about people mentioning mods too much - unfortunately this thread is edging ever-so-close to 1000 pages long.

Is there some kind of "mod" that eliminates sibilance? Or is EQ the only answer?

Pad mods help it slightly but not really, improve the sound in other areas though, if you want to keep it as close as possible to normal you can keep everything flat with just a bit of EQ above 7khz, another option would be possibly getting some foam and putting it over the drivers like on Beyerdynamics.

Nov 28, 2013 at 4:02 AM Post #14,625 of 22,116
I actually enjoy the Signature of the HE-400 with beyerdynamic pads. But I do find them weird sounding sometimes so i aplied a bit of EQ.

Im currently saving up for the HD800 to have a more neutral can for when i wasnt a less "energetic" sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back