**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Aug 5, 2013 at 10:25 AM Post #11,941 of 22,116
Quote:

I like the better treble and less recessed mids.... overall I am pretty impressed with hifiman... But the HE400 only just about have enough bass for me even with EQ.... I guess I am a bit of a basshead... I would like better mids and treble but the amount of bass impact and quantity on the HE400... I would not want any less...

When I came to the HE-400's, being a basshead myself, I wasn't super impressed with the bass quantity as much as the quality. However, I've been able to mess with EQ enough to make these have about as much quantity as the X1's without losing all the much detail in the rest of the spectrum. What sorts of EQ's are you using for them?

Aug 5, 2013 at 12:38 PM Post #11,942 of 22,116
Quote:
I do hear those things, but they are also very subjective terms which can easily be imagined....

Anyway what you said about cheap headphones on a expensive dac vs £1000 headphones on a cheaper dac is so unbelievably absurd that I am not going to discuss this further with you..... Seriously, just think about what you said there...

It's fascinating that you think so.

I think that one aspect of digital is that people have less exposure to obviously poor sources.

For example, in the vinyl days, it was obvious that a very scratched, worn and excessively played vinyl LP played back on a $30,000 stereo system, was going to be worse than a brand new copy of the same album, played back on a cheap stereo.

Nowadays, since each person's copy of a release is identical, people get the mental idea that sources are perfect - which couldn't be farther from the truth.

Here is another example.  If you provide a master chef with lettuce and greens that are covered in sand and gravel, the salad he creates is going to have sand and gravel in it   If you provide a $1,000 headphones with a crap source, it will beautifully reproduced the crap.

Aug 5, 2013 at 1:06 PM Post #11,943 of 22,116
Mike Ting, headphone professional at Headfonia, just happened to post on the same subject in context of different headphones:
Quote:
Also at this level of headphones, AMPLIFICATION and SOURCE are EXTREMELY IMPORTANT. Budget some additional $3-$5K for amp and source for the $1K+ headphones.

If you apply the same ratio to the HE-400, your other equipment would be US$1,600...

In his overall Guide, Mike states:
Quote:
Rule #6: Garbage in = Garbage Out
Garbage in = Garbage out (GIGO) is a popular phrase used to emphasize the importance of a good source.

Aug 5, 2013 at 1:49 PM Post #11,944 of 22,116
I posted this on the jergpad thread and though it would also be appropriate here:

Just wanted to make a few comments on the new jergpads crafted by Modular.

Let me preface my comments by saying that while I did try the pads with the he400, I primarily will use the new pads with the he-4. 

The first thing that I noticed about the pads is the craftsmanship. The mod is executed wonderfully well from an aesthetics point of view. The appear factory made and very much like a pair of velours until you look more closely. Everything is included for the bass mod and mine came with extras as well. I had the pads on in just a few minutes. The application of the bass mods took a little longer but was easy enough and the materials included were excellent. 

Do they work? The first thing that you notice with the pads is the comfort. It's just exceptional. I can't ever imagine going back to the stock pleathers just for the comfort of the new pads alone.  The change in the sound signature works well for the both the he400 and the he-4. The tizz is alleviated from the he400. The V shape signature of the smoothed out and makes it a more enjoyable listen. 

Does the bass mod work?  No question. There is more weight and punch without question. Not bloomy and not loose...just punches harder. 

Are the pads worth the cost? Honestly, I wondered this same question myself when I ordered them. The answer is yes...they are easily worth this price. 

What doesn't work? Honestly, I can't come up with anything that would improve on the execution of this mod. I would recommend them to everyone with an He400, he-4 and he500. 

Aug 5, 2013 at 1:58 PM Post #11,947 of 22,116
Quote:
Originally Posted by kstuart /img/forum/go_quote.gif

It's fascinating that you think so.

I think that one aspect of digital is that people have less exposure to obviously poor sources.

For example, in the vinyl days, it was obvious that a very scratched, worn and excessively played vinyl LP played back on a $30,000 stereo system, was going to be worse than a brand new copy of the same album, played back on a cheap stereo.

Nowadays, since each person's copy of a release is identical, people get the mental idea that sources are perfect - which couldn't be farther from the truth.

Here is another example.  If you provide a master chef with lettuce and greens that are covered in sand and gravel, the salad he creates is going to have sand and gravel in it   If you provide a $1,000 headphones with a crap source, it will beautifully reproduced the crap.

I do kinda follow you.. But you are making it out to be pretty drastic. My own experience is that a good source and amplifier makes just about anything sound.. beautiful and well presented. Anything underdriven, badly DAC'ed, etc can annoy me, and the annoyance itself can make fairly minor details in the sound sig seem quite emphasized, because I just can't stand the imperfection I hear.

Aug 5, 2013 at 1:58 PM Post #11,948 of 22,116
The pads I believe are scheduled for a round two, but I do not know the status of order taking. Feel free to pm Modular but I'm sure that he will post here at some point today. 

Aug 5, 2013 at 2:00 PM Post #11,950 of 22,116
Will there be any more "jergpads" for sale? Dammit I already ordered some hifiman velours...
Woops, what Matt and Thujone said
rolleyes.gif

Aug 5, 2013 at 2:45 PM Post #11,951 of 22,116
Will there be any more "jergpads" for sale? Dammit I already ordered some hifiman velours...

Call them jergulors to make jerg happy.

Aug 5, 2013 at 2:54 PM Post #11,952 of 22,116
Just as an FYI - Round 2 is currently in Interest Check phase, so if you're interested in a pair or have questions just send me a PM 
cool.gif
 I'm planning on contacting all interested head-fiers sometime in September with full details, and we'll proceed from there.

Edit: Also, I'm planning on releasing a tutorial soon-ish on the process for those that may want to attempt making their own pair, a la like the current tutorial in the jergpad thread's OP.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back