**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Feb 23, 2013 at 9:37 PM Post #7,818 of 22,116
Anyone heard of Music Hall Amps? I'm looking at the 25.2 from a local dealer. It sounds amazing to me, but I haven't heard of the brand before.  400 bucks... Anyone have any info on this brand?

Feb 23, 2013 at 9:46 PM Post #7,821 of 22,116
The HE-400s sound good when the treble is EQed. I could sell and go for the HD 650s but those aren't fast enough for electronic music or they might be boomy from what I hear. I could go for the HE-500 but I can't afford good quality amplification for it. Or I could keep an EQed HE-400. 

I spent a while thinking about it and I think I'm going to keep these headphones for a good while and try and buy some better warm-sounding amplification (I'm thinking the Aune T1) for them. Then down the road I'll save up for the inevitable LCD-2 upgrade. The LCD-2 seems to match what I want out of my headphones 100%, they're just out of my price range. 

Feb 23, 2013 at 10:19 PM Post #7,823 of 22,116
That's exactly why I just rubbed those markings off completely. Cheap paint. Having no markers is better than having a partial marker, IMHO.

Feb 24, 2013 at 1:38 AM Post #7,825 of 22,116
Here's a different kind of question: have any of you traveled with your HE-400 or other expensive headphones? I'm going on a trip in April, via plane, and I don't think I'll be taking much more than clothes, my HE-400, HE-300, Magni, Modi and Fiio E17 on top of my Laptop and external hard drive.

Should I wear the HE-400 onto the plane so they aren't packed? Will I run into trouble taking them on the plane? If I pack them, is there any particular method that is recommended, or any case that might be a good idea? With the Magni and Modi, they're nicely shaped and small, I was just gonna heavily wrap those in clothes. My carry on bag will be my laptop bag with my hard drive and Kindle in it, won't be room for the HE-400 or HE-300.

Tips? Thoughts?

Feb 24, 2013 at 1:51 AM Post #7,826 of 22,116
Quote:
The HE-400s sound good when the treble is EQed. I could sell and go for the HD 650s but those aren't fast enough for electronic music or they might be boomy from what I hear. I could go for the HE-500 but I can't afford good quality amplification for it. Or I could keep an EQed HE-400. 

I spent a while thinking about it and I think I'm going to keep these headphones for a good while and try and buy some better warm-sounding amplification (I'm thinking the Aune T1) for them. Then down the road I'll save up for the inevitable LCD-2 upgrade. The LCD-2 seems to match what I want out of my headphones 100%, they're just out of my price range. 

Isn't Ultrasone headphones better choice for electronic music?

Feb 24, 2013 at 1:58 AM Post #7,827 of 22,116
Quote:
Isn't Ultrasone headphones better choice for electronic music?

Definitely NOT better. Just different. I have both. If you want a visceral punch in the face, it's hard to beat the Ultrasones, but they get tiring after awhile and they aren't very good with other Genres. I like the HE400/500 for Electronic now. They have plenty of punch and a lot more detailed Bass. I don't EQ/ boost my Bass for them at all. Just one man's opinion, but I do have both HP's. 

Feb 24, 2013 at 2:41 AM Post #7,828 of 22,116
Quote:
Definitely NOT better. Just different. I have both. If you want a visceral punch in the face, it's hard to beat the Ultrasones, but they get tiring after awhile and they aren't very good with other Genres. I like the HE400/500 for Electronic now. They have plenty of punch and a lot more detailed Bass. I don't EQ/ boost my Bass for them at all. Just one man's opinion, but I do have both HP's. 

Thanks.
I bought HE-400 a couple of days ago for the sole purpose of electronic music. HE-400 sounds really good but it's not ideal for me. I think there must exist a better headphone for this genre. I would like more air and spaciousness than HE-400, no tizziness in treble and even greater speed. Any recommendations?

Feb 24, 2013 at 2:57 AM Post #7,829 of 22,116
Quote:
Here's a different kind of question: have any of you traveled with your HE-400 or other expensive headphones? I'm going on a trip in April, via plane, and I don't think I'll be taking much more than clothes, my HE-400, HE-300, Magni, Modi and Fiio E17 on top of my Laptop and external hard drive.

Should I wear the HE-400 onto the plane so they aren't packed? Will I run into trouble taking them on the plane? If I pack them, is there any particular method that is recommended, or any case that might be a good idea? With the Magni and Modi, they're nicely shaped and small, I was just gonna heavily wrap those in clothes. My carry on bag will be my laptop bag with my hard drive and Kindle in it, won't be room for the HE-400 or HE-300.

Tips? Thoughts?

Couldn't you just take the e17 and leave the magni/modi they are basically almost the same thing. I would recommend you take all your electronics and buy a padded backpack and take them with you on board the plane as a carry on. You really don't want to put them in your luggage since they throw them around or sometimes they open them and stuff gets stolen. ( I travel alot)

Feb 24, 2013 at 2:58 AM Post #7,830 of 22,116
Quote:
Thanks.
I bought HE-400 a couple of days ago for the sole purpose of electronic music. HE-400 sounds really good but it's not ideal for me. I think there must exist a better headphone for this genre. I would like more air and spaciousness than HE-400, no tizziness in treble and even greater speed. Any recommendations?

I dunno man but the HE-400s are perfect for EDM. I guess I just have an amp and DAC that matches well, and J$ pads help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back