**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Feb 20, 2013 at 6:20 PM Post #7,651 of 22,116
Quote:
^^ My vote is for snot build up. 
size]

Putting warm olive oil in my ears as we speak.

Feb 20, 2013 at 6:49 PM Post #7,652 of 22,116
Quote:
Actually, no.  No low end boost.  The audeze bass seems to be hand in hand with HE-400's bass to me.  In fact I think it's overall less 'phat' if you were to call it something, meaning it's even more tight than HE-400's bass, if that's even possible.  This tightness means less bass presence on symphonic instruments such as chello and double bass etc, meaning more of the texture from their harmonics come though.  I never much understood when people talk of bass texture, but I imagine this effect goes a long way in giving perceived texture.  Conversely, many HD800 owners say it has better bass texture than the LCD-2, which should be technically impossible.  I also believe that the added 'impact' people say LCD-2 has might be because it has more energy in the upper mids, meaning the slap of percussion comes through easier.  It also helps that LCD-2 hits a clean 30hz with good pressure while HE-400 tapers off a bit at 30hz.  LCD-2 isn't that strong under 30hz, but I don't expect any headphone to be strong under 30hz, you need full-sized subwoofers for adequate pressure there.

I don't really know what most people use for EQ, but I only use iTunes-- so.  What I'll try to do is develop an EQ for iTunes and one for foobar using the parametric EQ that everybody uses that makes HE-400 sound closest to LCD-2 to my ears.  There will naturally be limitations, because the LCD-2 does something that HE-400 doesn't.

Ah, interesting. I'd love to have a real set of LCD2s to try for myself but that purchase is years off. I'm loving the HE-400s on their own merit so making them sound like the Audeze is merely icing on the cake. It's awesome that you've been able to milk a more prestigious sound out of them and I appreciate your input on the matter.

Quote:
I'm using Accudio on the Mac. Just installed it last night. It's pretty cool. It's even got some presets to make your own headphones sound like other Brands such as Audeze LCD-2s. Kinda fun... It's also got a nice EQ that is totally configurable any way you want it. I haven't tried the JRiver stuff I'll have to Google that.

Just for kicks I bumped up the Bass at 90hz (+2) and 40Hz (+1) and now that DEEP Bass just rolls right off. Sounds like Pro900 Bass only cleaner. I don't mess with the highs, once I got the new Cable they seem nice to me now. I may try the 4000 kHz bump though, just to see how it effects the mids. 

I'm on a Windows machine but that looks like an interesting concept. I'm happy with JRiver as a media manager and playback system. It's been well worth the cost. It's extremely flexible but it doesn't offer anything quite as unique as Accudio.

Quote:

I ended up with this one :

It's first gain 2.6dB on 20Hz ,BW 3.0 (but with fiio e11 on bass boost 1 it's more like 4.6dB imo) , second gain 4dB on 3500Hz, BW 2.2 , third middle gain is just for lowering everything under 0dB line to.. as others say "prevent clipping" if that's the technical term ... basicaly to prevent "volume dropping" as I would call it with my limited language 
biggrin.gif

I am not looking for neutrality or something but to simply enjoy music. Without EQ bass is nice but there is not enough punch to "feel it" by your ears. I love when I can feel low bass flowing thru headphones, guitar "vibrations" or whatever is it called etc. This need solves for me "first gain" on 20Hz. Second imperfection for me was vocals ... they was kind of buried under everything else and it felt to me like if singer would be behind whole band instead infront of. This solved for me "second gain" on 3500Hz.

Sound isn't in any way deformed or anyhow distorted. At least from what I can hear ofc.

Listening to HE-400 with this EQ bit louder makes me feel like there is electrical current flowing thru my body 
very_evil_smiley.gif
 Just love it.

Excellent, thanks for sharing. I am going to create a preset with those settings to see how it works with my current configuration. I keep switching between my presets and can't seem to settle in on one particular setting for everything. I'm thankful that these handle EQ so well. I normally don't mess with this stuff as much as I have been today so it's been quite a learning experience.

Edit: I just tried this curve and it sounds a lot less confined than some of mine that pulled a hair too much from the mids/highs. I'm enjoying it quite a bit. I made a couple of tiny adjustments but it was definitely a good starting point. I'll probably rework some of these once I get my FiiO E07K and I can develop a feel for how that impacts the sound. Until then, this is working out nicely!

Feb 20, 2013 at 9:00 PM Post #7,654 of 22,116
Now that I got a taste of the Audeze bass, I realize it isn't all that much different from the Hifiman bass, at least not the HE-400 bass.  Now I'm wondering what the HE-6 is capable of.  I've no doubt the Audeze can really scale up well with beefier amps.

A lil pic, the Audeze surprised me at just how big it actually as, haha.  No doubt its drivers are bigger than HE-400's.

Feb 20, 2013 at 11:08 PM Post #7,655 of 22,116
Quote:
The LCD2 actually isn't a radical departure from HE-400 at all.  In fact, with minimal EQ, I'm pretty convinced you can get the HE-400 sounding near the same as the LCD2, minus some refinements on the LCD2's behalf.

This is what I found too.

I compared the HE400 to the HD650/HD800/LCD2/LCD3/RS1i/PS1000. I liked the HE400 (with EQ) better than all of them except the LCD2/LCD3. I wouldn't buy the LCD2 though since I thought it was too close to HE400 and too expensive in comparison. However, see if you can get a listen to the LCD3, I think that one is as perfect as it gets. If I didn't already have the HE400 and I am quite happy with them, I would get the LCD3 I think.. maybe one day down the track.

Feb 20, 2013 at 11:33 PM Post #7,656 of 22,116
 I love my HE-400's even though I have them up for sale. I may end up re-cabling them and keeping them and selling them at a later point. But there is a something about the LCD2's that the HE-400's lack for me and it has nothing to do with how they sound. Large leather pads, bamboo, a (seemingly, to me) better cable, it feels like it's on a different level, and for some, that's worth the price of admission. I may not be articulating my point properly, but there is something to be said for an intrinsic attraction to one over the other.

Feb 21, 2013 at 12:04 AM Post #7,658 of 22,116
Quote:
The earpads and general look of the LCD-2 are very romantic.  I'm not sure if its sound is worth 1000 dollars for me over the seemingly close HE-400.  

Oh by the way, how do you feel the highly damped sound LCD2 has compares to the minimally damped sound HE400 has? A.k.a. the difference in openness. Last I demo'd a LCD2 it sounded closed-in with a fairly significant "wall of sound" effect beside cans like HE6 and HD800.

Feb 21, 2013 at 12:17 AM Post #7,659 of 22,116
Quote:
 I love my HE-400's even though I have them up for sale. I may end up re-cabling them and keeping them and selling them at a later point. But there is a something about the LCD2's that the HE-400's lack for me and it has nothing to do with how they sound. Large leather pads, bamboo, a (seemingly, to me) better cable, it feels like it's on a different level, and for some, that's worth the price of admission. I may not be articulating my point properly, but there is something to be said for an intrinsic attraction to one over the other.

I really understand what you are saying. The D2000 seemed like a premium headphone despite costing relatively little. The HE-400 is a more expensive headphone but the build quality and luxuriousness of it isn't even as good as the D2000. Not to mention they don't give you a hard case.  

What are you impressions on the sound quality between the two? I'd like to hear some more impressions. 

Feb 21, 2013 at 12:18 AM Post #7,660 of 22,116
 For the price, no doubt the HE-400 is comparable. No arguing there. But I think you put it best; I have a romanticized view of the LCD's and have since before I had them. Worth $600 more? I also own Signature Pro's and I bet people could list off half a dozen better portables. Due to my work, responsibilities, etc I don't get to spend any of my money on things other than headphones and cars so I can (personally) justify the expense. But I digress, this hobby, to me is 90% subjective, unlike my opinion which is 100%.
wink.gif

Feb 21, 2013 at 12:25 AM Post #7,661 of 22,116
Oh by the way, how do you feel the highly damped sound LCD2 has compares to the minimally damped sound HE400 has? A.k.a. the difference in openness. Last I demo'd a LCD2 it sounded closed-in with a fairly significant "wall of sound" effect beside cans like HE6 and HD800.

I agree with this entirely. I feel the HE400 does imaging and instrument separation better. And definitely a better sense of air and space.

Feb 21, 2013 at 12:25 AM Post #7,662 of 22,116
 Like a first love, the D2k's will ALWAYS have a place in my... heart(?). I love them to death even though they reside in a dark corner of a desk drawer at the moment. If they still made the D2k I would be in every thread telling everyone that it is the ultimate beginner headphone. It's subbass extension (properly amp'd/eq'd) was addictive. It did suffer from some bass bloat and sibilant highs, but that's not new news. I still ended up reaching for the HE-400s though (had the D2k's for awhile before). They are amazing at their price point and scale exceptionally well with better gear in my opinion. I'd rather pay another $400 for a new pair, then buy a used pair of D2k's any day.

Feb 21, 2013 at 12:28 AM Post #7,663 of 22,116
Quote:
I agree with this entirely. I feel the HE400 does imaging and instrument separation better. And definitely a better sense of air and space.

Can this not be cured with proper tubes on a tube amp (not unlike a Lyr
wink.gif
)? Honest question. I definitely notice better imaging with the HE-400, though I, at the moment, prefer the LCD2.2's, albeit narrower, soundstage.

Feb 21, 2013 at 12:32 AM Post #7,664 of 22,116
Quote:
 Can this not be cured with proper tubes on a tube amp (not unlike a Lyr
wink.gif
)? Honest question. I definitely notice better imaging with the HE-400, though I, at the moment, prefer the LCD2.2's, albeit narrower, soundstage.

No, it is not an amp-dependent colouration, LCD2s are by default highly damped on both sides of the drivers and as a consequence it has a "padded room" sound compared to orthos with 100% open drivers like HE400 etc.

Also it's not really the soundstage that matters, but the "sense of air and openness".

Feb 21, 2013 at 12:33 AM Post #7,665 of 22,116
Oh, I prefer the LCD2 over the HE400 for most things. Just saying, the LCD2 packs in air and soundstage in comparison. It sounds just barely better than a closed headphone in that regard.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back