**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Feb 19, 2013 at 5:36 PM Post #7,591 of 22,116
Quote:
I do not have physical proof. It's my ears and countless other user testimonies. 

Maybe you're making the sound clip? Never boost frequencies, just drop frequencies you wan't less of.
If you want more bass drop the mids an highs. If you boost the bass (above 0db) most equalizers will clip and distort bad.
I think this is where most of your testimonies come from.

Maybe you already know this, and I'm preaching to the choir.

Feb 19, 2013 at 7:20 PM Post #7,593 of 22,116
Probably the D2000 in comparison.  Its massive bass makes it dark and thick.  But again I'm using the Schiit Magni/Modi.  I'm not one of these people who considers 'properly amping' running dark amps with their headphones.

Feb 19, 2013 at 10:45 PM Post #7,594 of 22,116
If anyone has any interest in earring adapters for the he400 or HFM series. I'll give a great price. Takes all the pressure off the HFM connectors and converts to mini xlr. Thought that I'd offer them here before putting them up for sale. Great for combining with a customer cable. I have one for the hd6xx line also. This would mean you could buy one custom cable to use with multiple hp's. 

Feb 19, 2013 at 11:04 PM Post #7,595 of 22,116
Well, it looks like I'll be waiting on the Schiit for a while. I jumped on a FiiO E07K. The combination of endless amp searching and available Amazon credit was too potent. I'm excited to try it out and I'm sure it will remain useful even after I finally do get the desktop amp that I'm really lusting over -- probably the Asgard 2 now that I'll be able to put it off for even longer anyway.

I got a whiff of the headband pad/wrapping and now I can't stop sniffing it. It smells like a new pair of shoes. I dig it.

Feb 19, 2013 at 11:25 PM Post #7,597 of 22,116
That's good to hear. I've spent several hours with my HE-400s and Vaio headphone out and am becoming more appreciative of how these perform in low power situations. It's nice knowing that something portable like the E07K can treat them right. I'm sure I'll still browse the amp classifieds and forum and salivate over the cool high powered stuff over there but I think the FiiO and I will get along nicely.

Between all of that, its compatibility with the Galaxy S3 in USB host mode, and the tone shaping options, it's looking like a good bargain that should lend a hand to some of my other headphones, too.

Feb 19, 2013 at 11:47 PM Post #7,598 of 22,116
 I hate to bring up the highly contentious issue of cables and their potentially subjective benefit, but.... I was going to sell my HE-400's but the cable is (per my FS ad) is killing my ability to sell a perfectly good set. So my question becomes, what aftermarket cable has good synergy with these cans? I'd like a cable that will tame the highs a bit (so no silver, correct?). Open to opinions. Gear in my sig.

Feb 20, 2013 at 12:09 AM Post #7,599 of 22,116
Maybe you're making the sound clip? Never boost frequencies, just drop frequencies you wan't less of.
If you want more bass drop the mids an highs. If you boost the bass (above 0db) most equalizers will clip and distort bad.
I think this is where most of your testimonies come from.

Maybe you already know this, and I'm preaching to the choir.

I did not know that. Learned something new.

Feb 20, 2013 at 12:23 AM Post #7,600 of 22,116
Probably the D2000 in comparison.  Its massive bass makes it dark and thick.  But again I'm using the Schiit Magni/Modi.  I'm not one of these people who considers 'properly amping' running dark amps with their headphones.

Raven, my issue with comfrot is less with the leather pads (I actually agree, it was mostly pleather that pisses me off, though I'd still go for velour pads), but it's bulk, clamp, and the airplane cabin pressure feel. All these things make it not an extremely comfy headphone. Comparing the LCD2 to the Annie in comfort is like comparing a cold hard floor vs a memory foam mattress when sleeping.

And the LCD2 is by far the thickest sounding headphone ive heard to date, though I too don't find it dark. Definitely dark in comparison to the Annie, but just very warm overall.

My main issue with it's sound is how closed in it sounds for an open (very open) headphone. Very much lacking in air.

Feb 20, 2013 at 12:27 AM Post #7,601 of 22,116
Quote:
 I hate to bring up the highly contentious issue of cables and their potentially subjective benefit, but.... I was going to sell my HE-400's but the cable is (per my FS ad) is killing my ability to sell a perfectly good set. So my question becomes, what aftermarket cable has good synergy with these cans? I'd like a cable that will tame the highs a bit (so no silver, correct?). Open to opinions. Gear in my sig.

I went with a Hybrid. Silver Plated OCC Copper. One of the guys on the forum here made it for me. It could be my imagination but it seems like I don't need to cut the Treble on my HE400s any more... They DO seem smoother on the highs than with the stock 10 foot cable. Also seems like they get louder without distorting now too. I know, I know... It might just be wishful thinking, but I talked to the guy that made the cable and he said that's a common perception he hears from customers, so who knows? Here's a pic he sent me during fabrication. 

Feb 20, 2013 at 2:41 AM Post #7,602 of 22,116
Quote:
MadLustEnvy has had his fun with the LCD-2, now it's my turn. 

Upon first getting the Audeze in the mail, my first impressions:

- I'm picking it up-- wait, is this actually really criticized for being heavy?  I was expecting something more rock-like.  It might as well be an HE-400 to me, a really fancy looking and bigger HE-400.

- These cables are nice, I like the locking mechanism, the cables themselves don't ''feel'' heavy compared to the HE-400 cables, which add downward force at times.  The earpads are really plush, the headband too, but not as much.  These earpads remind me of jumbo-sized Denon D2/5/7k.

- Putting it on my head, it doesn't feel heavy at all or clamp that hard at all.  If I were to make a profound statement, it feels like I have Denon D2/5/7k on my head with the weight of HE-400.  I don't feel it as being heavier than HE-400 at all.  This is probably because the earpads and headband padding do such a great job of distributing the weight.  Now, I do feel a sense of pressure on the top of my head after 20-30 minutes, but a quick adjustment fixes that.  I remember this same pressure from Denon 2000 as well.  I now know what people mean by 'vacuum' or 'airplane' effect.  I'll just simple things and say that it's a 'closed headphone' effect.   

I enjoy the fit of the LCD-2 over the HE-400 by a good amount, I was never a fan of circular pads at all.  Now having the LCD-2 on for a good amount of time, I'm not getting hot or sweating at all.  The pleathers of the HE-400 did that.  I thank the open-back of the Audezes and the leather pads for this.  In short, the leather feels very soft and super right on my skin.  In short I think these are the best pads I've used on a headphone.  MLE should reconsider his LCD-2 comfort factor if he's so biased against the leathers, I see no reason to be.

Thanks for your impressions! I only disagree with the statement that LCD-2s don't feel heavier than HE-400.
Having myself LCD-2s and yesterday comparing to my newly bought HE-400, I can clearly feel that HifiMans are lighter than Audeze. Anyway comfort of both is very good for me. Of course I wouldn't mind they were both 1/3 lighter, especially Audeze, than it would be perfect!

Feb 20, 2013 at 3:58 AM Post #7,603 of 22,116
Do you guys think an Icon iDo Amp would be enough to power the HE400s? It's probably the only way I'd be able to take advantage of an outboard DAC... Seems like a nice little unit, but I'm not sure how much power it puts out into 32 Ohms. Any engineers in the house? If it puts out [size=small]12 mW@300-Ohm what would it put out at 32 Ohm? The rest of the specs are at the link. [/size]

Feb 20, 2013 at 5:00 AM Post #7,604 of 22,116
Quote:
Anyone know if the mad dog pads fit with the He-400? 

I'm thinking about experimenting with them lol 

I already tried fitting Dog Pad with HE-400. It fits but takes some effort.
Second, sound quality became distance and unclear to me. I took it off within 10 seconds and never try it again.

Feb 20, 2013 at 5:01 AM Post #7,605 of 22,116
Quote:
Do you guys think an Icon iDo Amp would be enough to power the HE400s? It's probably the only way I'd be able to take advantage of an outboard DAC... Seems like a nice little unit, but I'm not sure how much power it puts out into 32 Ohms. Any engineers in the house? If it puts out [size=small]12 mW@300-Ohm what would it put out at 32 Ohm? The rest of the specs are at the link. [/size]

I think it's easy to drive HE-400 so this should be fine. But if u can wait few days till I get Magni and Modi which is same price as this unit I can let u know how does that work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back