**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Jan 26, 2013 at 6:22 PM Post #6,271 of 22,116
I think that you underestimate the powers of a frugal shopper. 
size]

. I do believe that the e09k with an odac is not only sufficient but a good pairing for the headphones I have. The lyr and bifrost while better are really just an indulgence because I had the money at the time and got a very good deal on them. 

Someone who isn't swayed by the bigger, more expensive setup. WHY I NEVER! :D

Someone who actually makes some damn sense.

All you hear around here: OMG, amp X is SOOOOO much better than my Fiio E9K? I can't believe the difference, blah, blah, blah. Expectation bias, and people being swayed by shiny new gear.

B*tch please, the difference is like 5%, if that. So tired of the pure hyperbole here. I had the E9K and the SA-31, and I A/B-ed them with the ODAC with the HD650, 990s, and HE-400. The Fiio E9K put up a REALLY good fight on all fronts.

Then I went from the $500 amp and highly regarded dac, to the $500 amp/dac device, and the difference wasn't so large, that I 'stepped' down to the lower amp/dac, ad don't regret it one bit.

Still, the LYR being a tube does have it's very own signature compared to all the SS amps I've owned. That much was noticeable. I may get a tube amp in the future just to have that noticeable change in signature again.

Jan 26, 2013 at 6:40 PM Post #6,273 of 22,116
Quote:
Someone who isn't swayed by the bigger, more expensive setup. WHY I NEVER!
biggrin.gif

All you hear around here: OMG, amp X is SOOOOO much better than my Fiio E9K? I can't believe the difference, blah, blah, blah. Expectation bias, and people being swayed by shiny new gear.

B*tch please, the difference is like 5%, if that. So tired of the pure hyperbole here. I had the E9K and the SA-31, and I A/B-ed them with the ODAC with the HD650, 990s, and HE-400. The Fiio E9K put up a REALLY good fight on all fronts.

Then I went from the $500 amp and highly regarded dac, to the $500 amp/dac device, and the difference wasn't so large, that I 'stepped' down to the lower amp/dac, ad don't regret it one bit.

Still, the LYR being a tube does have it's very own signature compared to all the SS amps I've owned. That much was noticeable. I may get a tube amp in the future just to have that noticeable change in signature again.

I'd suggest it's more than 5%, at least in the case of the E9K and E17.

Jan 26, 2013 at 6:42 PM Post #6,274 of 22,116
Hostile towards everyday nonsense. :p

I say that, yes, the difference in sound between the E9K and Lyr was definitely much more than 5%. I was mainly speaking of SS amps vs the E9K. Going from SS to tube/hyrbid is like a 20% change in it of itself. Not exactly performance-wise but sound signature change.

Jan 26, 2013 at 7:03 PM Post #6,275 of 22,116
Quote:
Someone who isn't swayed by the bigger, more expensive setup. WHY I NEVER!
biggrin.gif

To a really critical ear, 5% objective difference (especially with headphones that are transparent enough) is huge though. It might be enough of an improvement for the person to appreciate them 100% more, which is what that ultimately counts and defeats the diminishing returns philosophy.

For instance, hypothetically if say the only real objective difference between Q701 and K702anniv is that the anniv has a few dBs more bass quantity, sure on graphs that is only a 5% difference, but to a person scrutinizing the sound, it makes a world of difference in how much they'd appreciate the end result.

Jan 26, 2013 at 7:05 PM Post #6,276 of 22,116
Quote:
Liking my Modi and Magni with these more and more each day. I feel like they're getting all the power they need, and some. I also cant, for the life of me, discern a difference between the Magni + attenuators and without (from a sound quality standpoint). The extra play on the volume knob is really nice with them in.

Been listening to a lot of video game music and chip-tune and it sounds great with the HE-400

Im glad those attenuators are working out for you ninjames. the volume play knob was the only thing that made me not get the magni. If i would have known about them, I probably would have bought one ….and saved some cash.

Jan 26, 2013 at 7:12 PM Post #6,277 of 22,116
Quote:
To a really critical ear, 5% objective difference (especially with headphones that are transparent enough) is huge though. It might be enough of an improvement for the person to appreciate them 100% more, which is what that ultimately counts and defeats the diminishing returns philosophy.

For instance, hypothetically if say the only real objective difference between Q701 and K702anniv is that the anniv has a few dBs more bass quantity, sure on graphs that is only a 5% difference, but to a person scrutinizing the sound, it makes a world of difference in how much they'd appreciate the end result.

Well put. Just my experience with upgrading my amp from the e17. First time I felt my setup produced hi-fi worthy sound, even though the difference weren't obejctively that big

Jan 26, 2013 at 7:15 PM Post #6,278 of 22,116
Quote:

Im glad those attenuators are working out for you ninjames. the volume play knob was the only thing that made me not get the magni. If i would have known about them, I probably would have bought one ….and saved some cash.

They're also really helpful for keeping the Magni hooked up and using some of my other, cheaper headphones as well. I think they're a great buy, feel very well-made, etc. I was dissatisfied with the volume pot travel prior to them, but I would not have sent them back if I didn't get the attenuators.

Jan 26, 2013 at 7:15 PM Post #6,279 of 22,116

The difference is more than the bass, I can assure you of that.

Jan 26, 2013 at 7:28 PM Post #6,280 of 22,116
Quote:

I also love video game soundtracks a lot. KH,FF,Heavy rain, uncharted, Halo, Yakuza 3s, etc. OSTs for games are awesome very often, more so that you can connect the songs with the emotions and encounters you had within the game :D
I also listen to Chiptune... Wait, nevermind that is a different "Chip"tune you lisnte to :D

If you want to hear a good OST check out the xenogears OST, infact just play xenogears if you haven't.  One of Squares best hands down.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_nr-Tj4dtU

Just don't read the comments in there if you plan to play it. lol

Jan 26, 2013 at 7:52 PM Post #6,281 of 22,116
Well I've had the crappiest of crappy days.  My Headamp order was supposed to be delivered today by FedEx, it's almost 8 pm and no sign of it yet.  It says "out for delivery" since 5:30 am this morning.

Looks like it will be Monday afternoon at the earliest.  arghhhhhhhhhhh! 
mad.gif

Jan 26, 2013 at 8:02 PM Post #6,282 of 22,116
Quote:
Well I've had the crappiest of crappy days.  My Headamp order was supposed to be delivered today by FedEx, it's almost 8 pm and no sign of it yet.  It says "out for delivery" since 5:30 am this morning.

Looks like it will be Monday afternoon at the earliest.  arghhhhhhhhhhh! 
mad.gif

A prime example of first-world problems. 
rolleyes.gif

Jan 26, 2013 at 8:06 PM Post #6,283 of 22,116
I also love video game soundtracks a lot. KH,FF,Heavy rain, uncharted, Halo, Yakuza 3s, etc. OSTs for games are awesome very often, more so that you can connect the songs with the emotions and encounters you had within the game :D
I also listen to Chiptune... Wait, nevermind that is a different "Chip"tune you lisnte to :D

I feel we could become great friends! Some game OSTs can carry some serious emotional investment in them, since the music is usually associated with the experience felt at that moment.

Jan 26, 2013 at 11:06 PM Post #6,285 of 22,116
Quote:
Hostile towards everyday nonsense.
tongue.gif

I say that, yes, the difference in sound between the E9K and Lyr was definitely much more than 5%. I was mainly speaking of SS amps vs the E9K. Going from SS to tube/hyrbid is like a 20% change in it of itself. Not exactly performance-wise but sound signature change.

Honestly, you had crap tubes with your Lyr. I followed your journey. You should hear it with better tubes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back