**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Jan 23, 2013 at 7:02 PM Post #6,016 of 22,116
Quote:
*snipped to relieve some size of quote*

The Kanye West song is dynamically compressed so that it sounds loud on lesser systems that would otherwise run into clipping issues if they tried to play the high dynamic range song at a volume that matched the average level of the compressed song.

It could be that you're listening to lots of high dynamic range songs without much dynamic compression.

Another reason is maybe that your computer's volume level isn't maxed.  I know that on Windows at least, Modi does not disallow volume control on the computer's internal volume.  On OSX it does.  So if you're not using OSX, then max your computer's volume.

Reductive EQ needs lots of headroom, so you'll always find yourself turning the volume pot position up on the amp.  For instance, whenever I use a reductive EQ that gives me 6db of bass boost, I usually turn the Magni to around 11 o' clock.

If your computer's volume is maxed, you're not using any reductive EQ and the songs you're using don't have much dynamic range, then you're listening at very high levels and might be damaging your hearing.

You seem to have a way of laying things out to a newb like me.

I don't listen to absolutely anything mainstream or pop so I imagine a lot of my music does not have this compression. I really had no idea that music does this and I imagine sound quality will suffer if the music is compressed a lot.

I checked my windows volume and it is indeed maxed. I am using Jriver via WASAPI and have disabled volume control there so I believe I should be good to go on that front.  I did EQ the bass a bit and now that I turn it off/on I can tell there is a volume difference. 

Thanks again for coming to the rescue, TMRaven.

Jan 23, 2013 at 10:00 PM Post #6,019 of 22,116
So I just finished reading every post in this tread. I started it on sunday. I can't for the life of me think why I thought that it was a good idea. But it was kind of fun. Although the hole thing tends to loop you get people who find the tread, then have the same discussion over and over again. But over all fun it was fun to see, and there was some very good info. My thanks to the regulars who mostly are patient with those of us new to the site or this tread and the phones. You guys are saints. (P.S. this tread need it own FAQ) 

So I got mine yesterday. I love the sound, but I need some ideas here. The velours itch like crazy, and I do not love the sound or feel of the pleaters. I would rather not mod the pads until I decide if I"m going to keep them, But after that its open season. I'm looking forward to trying both of jergs mods. One of the reasons i bought these HP was because of the possibilitys of moding, I love to tinker. 

One other question, any ideas on good EQs for the mac. Most of my files are either apple loseless or from Spotify. My family uses it to discover and pass music back and forth. But some of their files just plane stink. I degrees Spotify does not have an EQ and the one in iTunes blows so ideas.    

Comp>Bifrost>Asgard>he-400 or Akg q702 

Jan 23, 2013 at 10:07 PM Post #6,020 of 22,116
I believe jerg has recommended taking out the spacers when listening to the pleathers. You might want to try that.

Jan 23, 2013 at 10:10 PM Post #6,021 of 22,116
Quote:
I believe jerg has recommended taking out the spacers when listening to the pleathers. You might want to try that.

I saw that, but I was holing off until I knew if I would keep them. If they can go back in then I'm game, but no mods that I can't reverse until I make up my mind.  

Jan 23, 2013 at 10:13 PM Post #6,022 of 22,116
Quote:
I saw that, but I was holing off until I knew if I would keep them. If they can go back in then I'm game, but no mods that I can't reverse until I make up my mind.  

The spacer is just a foam ring sandwiched in between the fabric protection and the pleather part of the pad, they go in and out. I took them out but put them back in because I like to not have the fabric touch my ears. 

Jan 23, 2013 at 10:24 PM Post #6,023 of 22,116
Quote:
So I just finished reading every post in this tread. I started it on sunday. I can't for the life of me think why I thought that it was a good idea. But it was kind of fun. Although the hole thing tends to loop you get people who find the tread, then have the same discussion over and over again. But over all fun it was fun to see, and there was some very good info. My thanks to the regulars who mostly are patient with those of us new to the site or this tread and the phones. You guys are saints. (P.S. this tread need it own FAQ

First, welcome to the forum here and this great thread!  We are fortunate that you took the time to read through the thread to ensure you could get a great perspective of the movement and progress that has been experienced with the HE-400 in order to make your listening experience much more enjoyable.  All too many new folks don't like to read from the beginning and usually come into a thread and ask for the 10-minute quick overview of the progression.  When this happens, forum members can grumble a bit because it can act like a slap in the face for those who have invested so much time to get these threads to where they are, and someone then indicates they don't have the patience to respect the members and take the time to read the posts.  So, you immediately have a "5 point" bonus with us because of your diligence.

As to the FAQ, I believe most of the people who post within this thread might be already strained in their work / life / hobby balance and to take the time to create and keep an FAQ properly updated as the content progresses, it will be hard to find a person with such a committed approach.  However, if you're looking to volunteer for the position, we'll be able to talk over the salary and benefits in further detail once we can secure your interest in taking on the work.  
size]

size]

Jan 23, 2013 at 10:27 PM Post #6,024 of 22,116
Quote:
The spacer is just a foam ring sandwiched in between the fabric protection and the pleather part of the pad, they go in and out. I took them out but put them back in because I like to not have the fabric touch my ears. 

Cool. Thanks they are out right now. I will let you know what I think. But my first impression is that both bass and treble moved a little forward, and a little less refined. 

Jan 23, 2013 at 10:41 PM Post #6,025 of 22,116
Quote:

First, welcome to the forum here and this great thread!  We are fortunate that you took the time to read through the thread to ensure you could get a great perspective of the movement and progress that has been experienced with the HE-400 in order to make your listening experience much more enjoyable.  All too many new folks don't like to read from the beginning and usually come into a thread and ask for the 10-minute quick overview of the progression.  When this happens, forum members can grumble a bit because it can act like a slap in the face for those who have invested so much time to get these threads to where they are, and someone then indicates they don't have the patience to respect the members and take the time to read the posts.  So, you immediately have a "5 point" bonus with us because of your diligence.

Less diligence and more sleep deprived OCD. I will probable run away from this place soon before my bank account completely empties out, or I lose any more sleep. So I will pas on the FAQ. Plus it not like people would read it before they stared posting the same question anyways.

P.S. Sorry for the double post.

Jan 23, 2013 at 10:49 PM Post #6,026 of 22,116
Quote:

As to the FAQ, I believe most of the people who post within this thread might be already strained in their work / life / hobby balance and to take the time to create and keep an FAQ properly updated as the content progresses, it will be hard to find a person with such a committed approach.  However, if you're looking to volunteer for the position, we'll be able to talk over the salary and benefits in further detail once we can secure your interest in taking on the work.  
size]

size]

Very well put wje. Thanks!

edit: Opps , I think i may have came across like Im some sorta a vet by my post but I'm not. I just really liked what wje said. You can really tell he is a vet of head fi and cares.

Jan 23, 2013 at 11:02 PM Post #6,027 of 22,116
Quote:
This Kanye West song reminds me of Death Magnetic album, from Metallica. 

CD version of Death Magnetic (top) and Guitar Hero version (bottom).

Sweet graphic comparison. Death Magnetic is perhaps the one unlistenable album I own. The HE-400s have taught me that we actually pay for a lot of distorted albums these days, and its quite tragic. The extra volume between the CD and GH3 rip really just makes it clear to me that dynamic compression is a waste of time.

The "Hot" treble and "Tizziness" issues, to me, only appear on my worst recordings. Therefore, I am increasingly faulting recordings, and not the headphones for undesireable traits. Its pretty obvious that clipped recordings will sound tizzy, staticky, and overall crappy. The HE-400s are simply being their transparent selves.

Jan 23, 2013 at 11:56 PM Post #6,029 of 22,116
Quote:
When do I get to be a vet? :]

You won't, at least while wje is alive and actively posting.

Everytime you think you're already a vet, he'll come and throw his join date on your face.

By the way, happy forum birthday, wje. Or would it be "joinday" instead? Anyway, congratulations.

ps. Dang, missed page 400.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back