**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Nov 13, 2020 at 2:29 AM Post #22,006 of 22,116
Nov 19, 2020 at 1:24 AM Post #22,007 of 22,116
Yo I have the same Energizer headlamp! Cool thanks for the pics. Won't the drivers be exposed too much to dust? What specific rubber pad did you use? Are the grills 3D printed? Looks good.
The grills are cut from an aluminum sheet that some use to customize the front grills of cars, its hard to cut with metal shears but fairly easy with a sheet metal nibbler. They are a bit thicker than the stock grill so you can't use the retention rings to hold them in place but since they are just press fit in place and have never fallen out so far. I have another set of grills that have silk organza on them to keep out dust, just been too lazy to install the rubber pads on them.
HE-400 mod.jpg
This is the grill with silk organza on them, but no rubber pad

Jan 1, 2021 at 9:33 AM Post #22,008 of 22,116
Well I've ordered the velour pads as a first try. (somehow my phones didn't came with it and it was new).
Never removed the original pleather pads and thought I would break something but I tried this morning it's super easy so I'm confident about it.
Now that it's easy I might try out some other mods in the near future but first want to check out how it sounds with velour.

Jan 1, 2021 at 7:01 PM Post #22,009 of 22,116
Well I've ordered the velour pads as a first try. (somehow my phones didn't came with it and it was new).
Never removed the original pleather pads and thought I would break something but I tried this morning it's super easy so I'm confident about it.
Now that it's easy I might try out some other mods in the near future but first want to check out how it sounds with velour.
HE400 came stock with pleather pads IIRC, it also is the one I like the least due to the so-so comfort and over emphasis of the bass. Best compromise is the Focus or Dekoni elite sheepskin IMO.

Jan 1, 2021 at 10:19 PM Post #22,010 of 22,116
Depends what velour pads you'll be trying. The velour I currently have with my HE-400 are the Dekoni Elite Velour for Audeze and the changes that happened from stock velour are: a more tamed presence region (treble region of 6kHz - 8kHz has subdued a bit), mids are a touch forward, and the bass is a touch loose. Adding EQ to it makes it a warm and engaging listen, similar to the HE-500 with the same pads I have on the HE-400.

Jan 2, 2021 at 6:56 AM Post #22,011 of 22,116
Okay for now I've ordered the Hifiman velour pads but I might check out others in the near future as well.
First I'm going to see if this is anything I like. The pleathers are completely worn out and you can see the foam completely in both cans.

btw: if I would order pads from other vendors, I would need the earpad mounting rings, wouldn't I?

Attachments

• he400.jpg
    he400.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jan 2, 2021 at 8:32 AM Post #22,012 of 22,116
Okay for now I've ordered the Hifiman velour pads but I might check out others in the near future as well.
First I'm going to see if this is anything I like. The pleathers are completely worn out and you can see the foam completely in both cans.

btw: if I would order pads from other vendors, I would need the earpad mounting rings, wouldn't I?
Yes, so keep the rings from the old worn out pads

Jan 9, 2021 at 1:23 PM Post #22,013 of 22,116
Got the velour pads and have been listening to them for some time now.
They are quite sturdy, definitely harder then the pleather ones (but they we're so worn down my ear touched the drivers, so this is a much improvement).
It definitely changes the sound. The vocals are more airy which I do like, but have to listen more tracks.
It also changes the bass, it's less muddy (not that it has been that muddy to begin with), but it's tighter, but also at the same time a bit less then with the stock pleather ones.
Must confess I've been playing mostly vocal tracks, will check out some more bass heavy music later on (like Aphex Twin).
The HE-400 still looks like new, bought now more then 5 years ago. And this is the 1st mod/change I did. :wink:

Attachments

• he400-1.jpg
    he400-1.jpg
    107.2 KB · Views: 0
Jan 13, 2021 at 6:27 AM Post #22,016 of 22,116

Dynamat or Sorbothane will help the bass tighten up. Rear screens off is easy and helps the treble open up - and instruments that carry lots of overtones like hand claps and percussive woods change for the better - and obviously so.

Jan 17, 2021 at 2:33 PM Post #22,017 of 22,116
Hi! I had a DT990E 250ohm which is too edge for me, trebles and bass hurt my ears. Recently i buy grado sr60 but pads isn't has that much comfort as around ear and it's too bright.

I has also Akg k371 it's sounding good but pads are too small for my ears.

I have Fiio K5 pro dac and i'm considering sold it and buy ifi zen dac which isn't analytical like fiio.

Does this hifimans will be good for me? Isn't it fatiguating or hurting ears?

I love listen Elvis Presley, Billy Joel, music with good vocals.

I listen so much genres - pop, rock 80s,90s, classical.

My headphones doesn't have good vocal and i want to find something better.

Jan 22, 2021 at 8:53 PM Post #22,018 of 22,116
I still have my HE-400 headphones from several years ago. My old amplifier's AC Input broke so can anyone recommend a AMP/DAC combo to pair with the HE-400?
I am considering the Schiit Modi 3+/Magni3+ stack but am open to other suggestions.

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2021 at 12:00 PM Post #22,019 of 22,116
I still have my HE-400 headphones from several years ago. My old amplifier's AC Input broke so can anyone recommend a AMP/DAC combo to pair with the HE-400?
I am considering the Schiit Modi 3+/Magni3+ stack but am open to other suggestions.

You really don't need anything more then that for the HE-400, grab those for $200 and your good :]

Jan 23, 2021 at 12:10 PM Post #22,020 of 22,116
Vintage speaker amp can be had for good prices and by using a DAC like the Modi feeding it via the AUX inputs you are set. Add in that you can feed the HE-400 from the speaker taps with the right cable setup and it's a combo that punches way above it's cost.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back