**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Aug 8, 2015 at 3:15 PM Post #20,506 of 22,116
  Are there any modern Headphone amps that have that "Weight" to the sound that Vintage receivers have? I am trying to figure out which lane to go down exploring. Thre is something smooth and full bodied about the sound of a vintage receiver that I really like. But I also sometimes feel like I miss details that a modern headphone amp could bring. My Nad receiver has pre outs as well as tape in/out. Would it be possible to chain this receiver to the in/out of my matrix? Or would that be overkill?

Can't really compare anything but a Schiit Magni (the original) but I wonder if a vintage amp fed properly would really miss any details.  Just a question more than an opinion.  It will play what it is fed by your source/DAC.  All of it.

Aug 8, 2015 at 8:33 PM Post #20,507 of 22,116

Can't really compare anything but a Schiit Magni (the original) but I wonder if a vintage amp fed properly would really miss any details.  Just a question more than an opinion.  It will play what it is fed by your source/DAC.  All of it.

I love the fact that you also use a vintage receiver/amp with the HE400! Throw some power at them (tapped) and the come alive!

Off topic, you got an HD800???  I never thought I would see the day! What do you think???

Aug 9, 2015 at 12:30 PM Post #20,508 of 22,116

I love the fact that you also use a vintage receiver/amp with the HE400! Throw some power at them (tapped) and the come alive!

Off topic, you got an HD800???  I never thought I would see the day! What do you think???

Hey buddy,

I too never gave the HD800 a second thought...............and after selling the HE-6 (which I thought the holy grail) and thinking I was going to get the Ether (auditioned it and liked it a lot but didn't wow me, ya know?) figured on the Prime Day I'd try it.  I'm learning trying things for myself is way better than believing what I read. Got 15% off on AWD, paid less than a grand for one that appeared new.  The downside? None - I could return it if it didn't meet my needs.

They are great, light, comfy and the best I've owned.  With plenty of bass fed from my Spec system - or my SX-1050 and that's out of the headphone jack.  Very impressed and so glad I made the plunge. 

Aug 10, 2015 at 11:44 PM Post #20,509 of 22,116
just picked up some he400s on amazon for the new 249.00 price! 
eek.gif
 used my credit card rewards so they were free too.

can't wait i've been staring at them for a year, hopefully a good compliment to what i've already got too.

Aug 11, 2015 at 2:26 AM Post #20,510 of 22,116
  just picked up some he400s on amazon for the new 249.00 price! 
eek.gif
 used my credit card rewards so they were free too.

can't wait i've been staring at them for a year, hopefully a good compliment to what i've already got too.

Nice score - hope they work out for you!

Aug 11, 2015 at 12:03 PM Post #20,511 of 22,116
yeah i mainly listen to fast indie electro, punk, acoustic and occational dj stuff.

i've read some mixed reviews on the he400 with the little dot, but people seem to like it with vali and the LD1+ is more powerful so we will see...

Aug 11, 2015 at 4:03 PM Post #20,512 of 22,116
yeah i mainly listen to fast indie electro, punk, acoustic and occational dj stuff.

i've read some mixed reviews on the he400 with the little dot, but people seem to like it with vali and the LD1+ is more powerful so we will see...

You can always try it with the Magni (I see you have that as well).
I really like the HE-400, have it now for about 4 weeks and still loving it.
I have no issues with the standard pads, I don't find them uncomfortable, if there's one thing I do see changed on my HE-400 then it is the
headband (being bald I do feel that a little bit after a few hours listening).

Aug 11, 2015 at 5:56 PM Post #20,513 of 22,116

I have no issues with the standard pads, I don't find them uncomfortable, if there's one thing I do see changed on my HE-400 then it is the

You could get some memory foam and wrap it with velour and attach it to the headband.  I've redone my HE-400 headband with memory foam wrapped with leather and glued them on to the headband, see below:

Really comfortable now, I've fallen asleep a few times with them on.

Aug 11, 2015 at 6:11 PM Post #20,514 of 22,116

You might want to check out the LFF headband method, it is apparently a very simple DIY process. I haven't done it, but I considered it. 

Aug 12, 2015 at 12:15 AM Post #20,517 of 22,116
I assume this is what @coletrain104
is referring to.

Although you probably wouldn't be able to do this if you max out your gimbals.

Ahh, thanks!

I velcroed in a Senn headband pad like this onto the underside of my HE400 headband. It's more comfy, but I have to max out the headband now.

052715.jpg

Aug 12, 2015 at 2:11 AM Post #20,518 of 22,116
Aug 12, 2015 at 2:50 AM Post #20,519 of 22,116
best headband mod for the HE-400 is lohb's planar suspension leather strap mod (gives a better weight distribution & lighter overall feeling). second place mod would be the dinio seat belt wrap for just adding additional cushioning.

just from my personal experience.

Aug 12, 2015 at 3:46 AM Post #20,520 of 22,116
  best headband mod for the HE-400 is lohb's planar suspension leather strap mod (gives a better weight distribution & lighter overall feeling). second place mod would be the dinio seat belt wrap for just adding additional cushioning.

just from my personal experience.

I think the Lohb headband works the same way as the LFF one, and I think Lohb's one was the one I've seen used on hifiman headphones. HE-6 I believe. Maybe I'm wrong though 
redface.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back