**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Apr 9, 2014 at 7:20 PM Post #16,921 of 22,116
Break-in Discs are a waste. I downloaded a 1-Terabyte loop cleaning file to break in my headphones. Only cost me $100 for the HDD, and $350 for the break-in WAV file.

FYI you should run the break-in for about 3-5 years or until the warranty period is up before first listening. When new the HE-400 were good, but after I broke them in it was all:

O  M  G !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Apr 9, 2014 at 11:19 PM Post #16,924 of 22,116
congratulations!!! I got mine earlier this week and am simply loving them! 
beyersmile.png

Apr 9, 2014 at 11:49 PM Post #16,925 of 22,116
Well, I have to admit it, the jergpad mod is all that and a bag of chips. I received a set of jergpads this afternoon and I'm giving this mod a good listen as I type this. So far I'm impressed, a very nice bump in audio quality in the right direction. Thanks guys, the info I've gleamed from this impressions thread was very handy.

Now can anyone here point me to info on the HE-400 grill mod???????

Apr 10, 2014 at 12:11 PM Post #16,926 of 22,116

Now can anyone here point me to info on the HE-400 grill mod???????

http://www.head-fi.org/t/619447/hifiman-regrilling-mod

Before you go to the trouble of making new grills, try taking off the stock grills and listening with no grills at all. I have to admit, when I did this I heard no real difference. Maybe a tiny something, but I assumed it was placebo. I know some people like this mod so YMMV.

To me, it doesn't seem worth exposing the drivers to dust. I know the dust doesn't really hurt, but it just bothers me lol

Apr 10, 2014 at 12:16 PM Post #16,927 of 22,116
I'm sorry, but your post is completely ridiculous. You spent $450 for break in tones? That's $150 more than the HE-400 headphones cost!! I've been using the Ayre disc ($20) for years and I've found it to be invaluable. I've used it to break in everything from B&W Nautilus 802's ($7000) to $80 portable headphones. Break in headphones for 3 to 5 years? Only a lunatic would do that! The manual states 150 hours of break in time. Right now I'm breaking in a new custom cable. l'm  almost done and the break in procedure will be completely done.

Apr 10, 2014 at 5:11 PM Post #16,928 of 22,116
  I'm sorry, but your post is completely ridiculous. You spent $450 for break in tones? That's $150 more than the HE-400 headphones cost!! I've been using the Ayre disc ($20) for years and I've found it to be invaluable. I've used it to break in everything from B&W Nautilus 802's ($7000) to $80 portable headphones. Break in headphones for 3 to 5 years? Only a lunatic would do that! The manual states 150 hours of break in time. Right now I'm breaking in a new custom cable. l'm  almost done and the break in procedure will be completely done.

Yes, his post is completely ridiculous, as I'm assuming it was intended.  Sadly, sarcasm never really works as well in text.  There almost always seems to be a misunderstanding.  Never thought about breaking in a new cable though.  Is that actually a thing?

Apr 10, 2014 at 6:24 PM Post #16,930 of 22,116
All cables, especially high end cables need a break in period. Usually 100 hours will do the trick. Try listening to your new cables right out of the box. Then after 100 hours of breaking time, listen the them again. You should definitely hear a huge improvement. I use a mixture of tones and music with fast transients. I use brown and pink noise for one play list and music on the 2nd play list. This is all done using iTunes. However I do not use iTunes for listening pleasure. For that I use Foobar 2000 which is free. J River is supposed to be the best program out there, bit it has a huge amount of features I'll never use. It's also $50. I downloaded and used their free demo. During raw playback, I couldn't hear any difference between the 2. Now if I had $50 burning a hole in my pocket, I'd probably jump on the J River bandwagon as it ha some cool features and it's visually amazing. For now Foobar is fine...

Apr 11, 2014 at 11:20 AM Post #16,933 of 22,116
Idk about the whole cable break in thing. It's been scientifically tested by many people and it really does not make a difference. There's nothing about puting signal through a cable that could physically change a cable. I've spoken to many of my audio techs about this (many of which have more years of experience than I have years of life)
They all look at me like I was crazy. But they all say that breaking in a speaker works because it's a moving part.

Apr 11, 2014 at 5:03 PM Post #16,935 of 22,116
I've littrally taken old enough to vote and completely tarnished over radioshack RCA cables and compared them with brand new exactly the same ones of the same exact design and brand and can't tell the difference. Also tryed side by side with canare star quads and still couldent tell the difference. I blind tested this over and over with all of my friends and co workers to settle this conflict within myself. In short. Cables=ripoff
I will say the only change I thought I heard was achieved with the non blind test between the canare and the tarnished radioshack cable

Users who are viewing this thread

Back