**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Mar 5, 2014 at 7:00 PM Post #16,636 of 22,116

You really should try switching to the velours after fussing with the pleathers so long. For $10, EQ or not, they are the most balanced, the least "ringy", and the treble is less "peaky". You lose that touch of "warmth" that the pleathers seem to give, but its worth it, IMO. I'm done with the pleathers modded or not - they are just sub-optimal.

199 pounds is what, $260 USD? That's pushing it considering brand new is now $300. I'd think it'd be lucky to see $200. I'm not sinking any more into mine either (though I would go for a new cable). But if I could sell them + my Senns for about $200-$300 I suppose that would be good enough despite the heavy losses I'd be taking. It isn't clear I could stick with Hifiman at this point - they've sketched me out with the short warranty and somewhat obvious shortcomings (cables coming apart, and lousy SMC connectors that are an unnecessary PITA). Unclear if any of that is going away with the new generation.

$$$ compared to £££ is not really relevant in the UK because you cannot import things without paying postage, tax and duty, so £199 is about the same as $199 dollars US.

Mar 5, 2014 at 7:38 PM Post #16,637 of 22,116

I do like the HE400 in almost every way, except the treble. If they had better treble they would be perfect, but with my recent tweakidge with the EQ and filters the treble sounds alright now. Did anyone try the filters on ElectriQ they do seem to make the treble sound more natural, I am sure I am not imagining it!

Which pads are you using right now, with that EQ BTW?

I figured out how to justify new phones also. I've never had a good pair of closed headphones before . . . :D
You MUST try the NAD HP50s then. I implore you (and everyone else who reads this!).

Mar 5, 2014 at 8:39 PM Post #16,639 of 22,116

Download the install file at the end of the article here:

http://www.savioursofsoul.de/Christian/vst-plugins/eqs-filters/electri-q/

Install it and navigate to "C:\Program Files (x86)\VstPlugins" or "C:\Program Files\VstPlugins" (depending on what Windows you have). Here is the posihfopit dll you need. Drop this file into your VST directory which you specified when you installed George Yohng's VST wrapper. Mine is at "C:\Program Files (x86)\foobar2000\VST" btw. I specified this location when I installed VST. You should now be able to launch it from the system tray the next time you launch foobar.

If anyone has further problems PM me. I don't want to stray too far off HE-400 discussion.

That worked.  Thanks a lot!  

Mar 5, 2014 at 8:42 PM Post #16,640 of 22,116
You MUST try the NAD HP50s then. I implore you (and everyone else who reads this!).

Yes I want to try the HP50 as I am a massive fan of NAD, But I am poor ATM and cannot afford them unless someone wants to buy my HE400.
I know is not easy with this place, but just sit it out and save for a while. Enjoy what you already have whilst bearing in mind that 99% of the population won't even hear a pair of cans the quality of the HE400s during their lifetime.

Mar 5, 2014 at 8:43 PM Post #16,641 of 22,116
The NADs will still be around by the time you get to them. They'll probably be cheaper as well. They've ended my search for a closed can.

Mar 5, 2014 at 9:43 PM Post #16,642 of 22,116
I doubt the HP50 will be better than the HE400 for electronic anyway? but I want a pair that are better for other genres, vocals, guitars etc. when I have some more money I may end up keeping the HE400 for electronic and getting another pair for other genres. Every NAD product I have owned has been extremely good, I had the NAD 3020a, 315bee and now the 326bee which is a beast of an amplifier. I tried other amps, cambridge audio, Marantz etc. but the NAD's are always better.

Mar 6, 2014 at 1:55 PM Post #16,645 of 22,116
Small tabs that hold them in place...when you remove the leather ones you'll see what needs to be done. Fiddle with them while twisting the pads on and you'll get it done, no problem. I like the velour pads a lot more than the stock ones. Good luck! 

Mar 6, 2014 at 2:08 PM Post #16,646 of 22,116

I decided to give the Avicii album a try, which isn't normally my taste, but it sounded amazing with this headphone.  I also listened to IAMX's Volatile Times, which if you don't know the artist, is from Sneaker Pimps if that helps anyone.  Now I think I'll try some industrial and move onto Stabbing Westward's Darkest Days

completely agree,

dear boy is my favorite song from that album, and probably top 10 in my all time best songs list.

True just sounds really well with the he 400s.

Mar 6, 2014 at 2:20 PM Post #16,647 of 22,116
  Hello ppl, I was getting a bit irritated with the HE400 due to the usual issues, sibilance, recessed upper mids, harsh / artificial treble sound..... I think I finally cracked it, Making these good all rounders.... Obviously they still excel at some genres and not so great with others but at least I actually enjoy using these with vocals, metal, rock etc. now, they were always good with electronic, OST etc. Here is what I did.....

1) EQ with electri-Q - (Bass boost, slight boost from 600hz down, leave 700-1500 flat as they are raised anyway, about a 3 DB boost from ~1800-6000hz, 2 dips at ~7500hz and ~12500hz) You might have already done that.... But here is the little secret I found to make the treble sound more natural, really helps the "tizz" etc....

2) Using Elelctri-Q (in digital mode) set all the points above 6khz to "warm - peak analog filter" (leaving everything else on "peak-orfandis") this seems to add an analog type effect to the upper treble which gives slightly more decay and smoother / more natural treble, because lets face it the stock treble on these does not sound natural.... But with the EQ and the filters on the treble... Much better, I am actually enjoying metal on these now which before all I used them for was electronic and OST. You still get the clarity from 0-6000hz but the treble sounds smoother / slightly blurred / more decay, no more ear pain or sibilance and a more natural decay on the treble...

will try later, any chance you could provide the preset?

Mar 6, 2014 at 2:27 PM Post #16,649 of 22,116
^^^^pretty much what Matt said in regards to getting pads on the headphone.

It's pretty/very easy to get 2-3 of the tabs in. the 4th usually was always hard for me.

but use the credit card trick to push it down. You don't have to use a ton of force but more of a moderate amount, if you do a ton then you're bending it, make sure u just push down and you'll kind of hear a click noise.

the first time I got these phones, it took me almost an hour to and hour and a half. but now, it's like less than a minute for both.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back