**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Feb 6, 2014 at 1:21 PM Post #16,336 of 22,116
Oh yeah haha. He added me to the list so I'm just in the waiting process. Just wanted to see if there were other ways besides jergpad and software stuff (for EQ) to help with the sibilance. Thanks for the tips though. 

Feb 6, 2014 at 1:48 PM Post #16,337 of 22,116
Oh yeah haha. He added me to the list so I'm just in the waiting process. Just wanted to see if there were other ways besides jergpad and software stuff (for EQ) to help with the sibilance. Thanks for the tips though. 
The jergpads have near enough cured it for me. Now, it's just the odd recording that has some treble harshness and it's miles more handleable even without EQ. :)

Feb 6, 2014 at 11:13 PM Post #16,339 of 22,116
  Does anyone have a Vali+Modi combo and if so how does that setup sound with the HE-400? I have a Vali coming but I really need to get a DAC also and the Modi seems like a logical choice. I've read where some say its to bright and if that's the case I don't want one then because the 400 is bright enough as it is. What are some other good DAC's in the under $200 price range that would be a good fit for the HE-400, also would like it to sound good with my HD600 as well.

I was looking for portable dacs a few weeks ago & I made this document. I ended getting the Stoner Acoustic UD110v2. Pretty happy with my purchase considering the price :) hope this is semi-helpful. cheers.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/696401/giant-list-of-sub-200-portable-dacs-w-their-chips-price

Feb 6, 2014 at 11:14 PM Post #16,340 of 22,116
  I have a pair of HE 400s with velour pads, and I enjoy listening to them a lot. One thing though is that I do hear some sibilance for female vocals and even for some male vocals. My Philips X1 doesn't have this sibilance. Are there any ways to reduce the sibilance on the He 400s? I am running it off a Dragonfly v1.2 and Project Ember with the stock tube. I don't have jergpads yet. I'm not sure how much difference it will make to change tubes, but I have a GE 6DJ8 tube arriving soon and was hoping to learn how much sound change different tubes can make. Besides tube changing though, are there other ways to possibly reduce sibilance? It is debatable as to whether or not changing cables (such as toxic cables) will change the sound much right?

EQ the treble around 8-12k eliminates the silibance. not 100% sure about the exact frequency, but that is a free way to adjust sound signature.

Feb 7, 2014 at 3:18 PM Post #16,341 of 22,116
Loving the sound of the HE400, the bass tightness and extension, the speed, the clear treble. It makes the music come ALIVE and with my EDM's the experience is orgasmic. One thing though, HOW the hell do you guys deal with the weight? Coming from a HD650, this thing is like a bowling ball resting on top of my head. I immediately felt the pressure on my cervical spine and neck muscles, it's a freakin work out! It's sad that this is really my main complaint, apart from the earpads being too big and kinda bulges out too much not covering the front of my face and the back of my head. I just don't want a whiplash from wearing this too long.

Feb 7, 2014 at 4:32 PM Post #16,343 of 22,116
Do some neck workouts? Lol

The weight doesn't bother me at all.
+1 no problems here either. Guess I just got a strong neck, no homo.

Feb 7, 2014 at 4:42 PM Post #16,346 of 22,116
Weight is just fine for me.  LCD2-type weight starts being an issue because I get a pressure point buildup on the top of my head.  That might be a culprit of the headband more than anything else though.

Feb 7, 2014 at 7:00 PM Post #16,349 of 22,116
The soundstage is definitely larger than the HD650's, playing some competitive FPS on my desktop resulted in better audio positioning as well. Even though I think the HD650 has a more refined sound, I prefer the edgy HE400 sound. The bass is freakin REDONKULOUS. The build quality is better than I anticipated, even though it looks butt ugly the materials used are very good. I think the weight would be the #1 issue for me right now. I'm also not sure why it's rated so much lower than the HD650 on our website http://www.head-fi.org/products/hifiman-he-400

Feb 7, 2014 at 8:58 PM Post #16,350 of 22,116
I started a club for all owners of HiFiMan High-End series headphones, come on over and join!
http://www.head-fi.org/t/704528

Users who are viewing this thread

Back