HiFiMan HE-300 Coming Soon!
Mar 5, 2012 at 8:53 AM Post #796 of 926

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaiBear /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I am considering the HE -300 vs. HD 650 as my first pair of audiophile headphones. The price difference (which is considerable) has me leaning towards the HE-300.

Unless you have a very powerful amp I would recommend the HE-300 rev 2. They have a similar sound but I think the HE-300 is more musical and refined.

I have no idea which version Amazon sells though. Where are you from? If you're European I could always send you a link to the webshop I bought mine from.

Mar 5, 2012 at 9:44 AM Post #798 of 926
As far as I know the difference is indeed an improved (braided) cable and other earpads. The sound must be improved too imo, because the reviews of the Rev 1 describe a totally different sound than I experience with the Rev 2.

Mar 5, 2012 at 10:01 AM Post #799 of 926
Thanks, actually I use the OCC balanced cable that ships with the HE6 so I have not idea how the silver cable would sound with the HE300 or the HE500 since both have a balanced cable. Thanks again.

Pd: I do remember a silver SE cable that was available with the HE5 a couple of years ago, I liked it quite a bit.

Mar 5, 2012 at 4:55 PM Post #801 of 926
I am thinking of buying from Head Direct as well, it's just that I've had bad experiences with USPS shipping. With Amazon I'll get it in two days...no shipping charge...and of course dealing with Amazon is so easy.

However, you are right that I'll be sure to get the Rev 2 version at HeadDirect, so I just might go that route.

That leads me to this:
How long does HeadDirect take to ship? Would I receive it within the week? I've read that sometimes they take awhile to get products out to customers.

CosmicFool, I'm in the U.S....thanks though!

Thanks for the info everyone! For the price they sell for, the HE-300 seem like a steal.

Mar 6, 2012 at 12:15 AM Post #802 of 926

Quote:
Thanks, actually I use the OCC balanced cable that ships with the HE6 so I have not idea how the silver cable would sound with the HE300 or the HE500 since both have a balanced cable. Thanks again.

Pd: I do remember a silver SE cable that was available with the HE5 a couple of years ago, I liked it quite a bit.

This is not the same cable as the original HE-5 SPC cable.  

Also, what people are calling rev 2 was called "batch 2" by Fang, saying that they improved the production-line and got better and more consistent results without changing the design.

Mar 24, 2012 at 6:35 PM Post #804 of 926

Quote:
Is there any specific way to distinguish the batch 1 and batch 2 of the he300s?

Don't think so except for the packaging I think.  The newer batch comes in a cardboard box and possibly with a silver cable included.  From memory, the newer batch also sounds better then the older version.  Not sure it's due to the silver cable or not since I did not have the silver cable when owning the older batch.

Mar 24, 2012 at 7:47 PM Post #805 of 926
I got mine about a month ago, it came in a very plain cardboard/plastic box and the cable is just horrible, very stiff and long silver braided, similar to the cables used in the higher end models, I can't talk about the sound having not listened to the black one but it's a very annoying cable, long and stiff just don't go together.

And as an added question, has anyone tried the leather earpads from HiFiMAN with the 300s? The velour are fine, but get very dirty very quickly.

Mar 28, 2012 at 4:25 AM Post #807 of 926

Quote:
If anyone has the non-silver cable (one of the black ones) I'm willing to do a direct swap for my silver cable, EU only, I'm fed up with the stiffness of this cable.

Really? The silver cable didn't seem that bad to me. In any case, the old Canare cable is even worse. Not only is it stiff but it's also really thick and heavy. I thought there was supposed to be another newer black cable that was more flexible, but haven't really heard or seen much about it, especially since it seems that they're shipping silver as stock now.

Mar 28, 2012 at 10:12 PM Post #809 of 926
How does the black Canare Rev. 2 cable sound compared to the "Rev. 3"'s silver cable?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back