HiFiMan HE-300 Coming Soon!
Jan 24, 2012 at 2:22 PM Post #768 of 926

Quote:
People keep saying the Rev.1s sound wonky and should be avoided.

Oh, well that's definitely true of my pair. The whole lower half of the midrange is completely lacking, and there are some peaks around  the area of 1-4 kHz. It makes the mids sound very thin and nasally. Like I said before, I am able to pretty much correct this with the use of EQ, but it's basically unlistenable in stock form IMO.

Jan 24, 2012 at 2:32 PM Post #770 of 926
I think Hifiman said they improved the manufacturing process to get more consistent sound out of each pair? Apparently the rev 1's were less consistent, so I guess some of them might be considered "faulty." There were some pretty varying reports on the sound earlier in this thread, some said HD6x0, some Grado-like, a few said wonkyness. Whereas with the rev 2 everyone seems to be saying they have an HD650-like sound sig.

Jan 26, 2012 at 10:58 PM Post #771 of 926
I received the new revision a week ago because my first pair had a faulty driver.  I can't believe it's the same headphone.  I am using the silver cable, the same one the HE-500's come with and wow these headphones need more love around Head-Fi.  

Jan 29, 2012 at 1:38 PM Post #772 of 926

Quote:
I received the new revision a week ago because my first pair had a faulty driver.  I can't believe it's the same headphone.  I am using the silver cable, the same one the HE-500's come with and wow these headphones need more love around Head-Fi.  

I agree with you. I have the REV 2 too since a couple of days. I really love them with their fleshy mids, smooth treble and powerful bass. Yet the bass doesn't overwhelm the other frequencies. The sound is very musical to my ears. Another major advantage is that they don't need a strong amp to shine. 

Jan 29, 2012 at 2:25 PM Post #773 of 926
You know, the more I listen to these, the more I find the vocals unengaging enough for my music. I usually listen to songs like "Missing You" by John Waite. 
I find them too "leveled" with the instruments. I would prefer a slightly more forward midrange.

Jan 29, 2012 at 2:34 PM Post #774 of 926
The vocals sound a little more distant indeed, but I don't mind that. They have a special presentation of those voices that I have never heard in a headphone. It's a more realistic and fragile impression imo. 

Jan 30, 2012 at 9:32 AM Post #775 of 926

Yeah, they're very smooth and lifelike in tone. Though I just find them too distant.. 
Quote:
The vocals sound a little more distant indeed, but I don't mind that. They have a special presentation of those voices that I have never heard in a headphone. It's a more realistic and fragile impression imo. 

Jan 30, 2012 at 11:39 AM Post #776 of 926

Quote:

Quote:
Yeah, they're very smooth and lifelike in tone. Though I just find them too distant.. 

Distant? HE300?

Both of mine are right in your face with anything midrange. Have they changed this 'phone's sonic signature yet again?

Jan 30, 2012 at 1:03 PM Post #777 of 926
Are you sure you have the Rev. 2 drivers?
The Rev.2 should sound smooth, warm, and everything is levelled on the stage. Nothing sounds forward, nothing sounds "behind". 

Maybe it's the amping / source. 
Quote:
Quote:

Distant? HE300?

Both of mine are right in your face with anything midrange. Have they changed this 'phone's sonic signature yet again?

Jan 31, 2012 at 5:35 PM Post #778 of 926
I think I may have a problem with the driver in the right ear. Most of the time it sounds like highs are only coming out of the left side but the right. The right side sounds a bit distant and muffled. I compared it to my other IEMs and headphones and seems to be a noticeable difference. I sent Head-direct an email a couple of days ago (though I bought from Headroom), hopefully they reply soon, still haven't heard back.

Feb 1, 2012 at 9:52 AM Post #779 of 926
Does anyone know a shorter cable for the HE-300. The stock one is way too long for me. I'd like to have one of more or less 1 meter. And not too expensive if possible.

Feb 1, 2012 at 2:09 PM Post #780 of 926

Unless you do DIY, the cheapest cable you could get (IIRC) is the Q-Audio cable, worth $200.

Otherwise, you could just cut the cable to your desired length and reterminate it. That would be better, IMO, since the stock 3.5mm plug loses the gold plating very quickly. That's what happened to mine.
Quote:
Does anyone know a shorter cable for the HE-300. The stock one is way too long for me. I'd like to have one of more or less 1 meter. And not too expensive if possible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back