HiFiMan HE-300 Coming Soon!
Sep 11, 2011 at 10:37 PM Post #511 of 926

Quote:
So if I understand you correctly, it's less detailed than the SRH940, but more detailed than an HD650?

It's more open in the mids than a 650 but there is a peak in order to do this and it has a quacky effect and the HD650 has better top end.

Sep 11, 2011 at 10:41 PM Post #512 of 926
Hmm well I guess my search for a comfortable open-air headphone that's detailed like the SRH940 continues then.

Sep 12, 2011 at 12:43 AM Post #513 of 926

Quote:
Hmm well I guess my search for a comfortable open-air headphone that's detailed like the SRH940 continues then.

Seems like a hasty decision to me.

Sep 12, 2011 at 12:48 AM Post #514 of 926
Well when it comes to a mellow non-analytical non-detailed sound, my HD 650 fills that role. If I'm gonna get a third headphone (second open pair), I want it to be at least as detailed as my SRH940 hopefully.

Sep 12, 2011 at 1:09 AM Post #515 of 926

Quote:
Well when it comes to a mellow non-analytical non-detailed sound, my HD 650 fills that role. If I'm gonna get a third headphone (second open pair), I want it to be at least as detailed as my SRH940 hopefully.

I find the HE-300 to be very detailed, see my previous impressions in this thread.  

You need to try the headphones before you decide which to get.  Follow the threads in the meets and get together forum to go to one and try different phones:  http://www.head-fi.org/f/24/local-regional-head-fi-meets-parties-get-togethers

Sep 12, 2011 at 1:14 AM Post #516 of 926
There won't be another meet it seems in my area until about a year from now, so sadly my testing options are limited.

Sep 12, 2011 at 6:01 AM Post #517 of 926
Yesterday, I arranged a nano-meet with a friend of mine who just got an HD650. We used a Little Dot Mk2 (not great, I know) with stock tubes and my Firestudio Mobile for comparison.

They're absolutely incomparable. The HD650's are much lighter in the bass, have a smaller but more subtle soundstage, and, especially with Norah Jones' voice, sound somewhat sweet - perhaps overly sweet in those circumstances. The HD650 sounds rather... shy, in comparison, I'd say.

The HE300 is such a drug to me! It sounds like a perfect DT770 replacement with better highs and soundstage, and the bass, the real deep low-end sounds like that in a good subwoofer. It makes me tap my foot and rock my head and really enjoy myself! Meanwhile, Norah's voice sounds a little more hoarse and a bit more natural at the same time, while the sounds around me move further from left to right, but it doesn't sound as subtle in its soundstage as the HD650. All in all, I'm very pleased with a little company like Hifiman bringing out a pair of headphones that, at a similar price point, can not only compete but in my opinion even defeat the HD650, at least with the Little Dot.

I'm less pleased about the cable. It's not only fat and unwieldy, but mine also doesn't work on the left side when I hold it a certain way - a way I can get to by moving my head around. I contacted head-direct and asked if they can send a replacement when I order the leather pads.

All in all, I am curious to hear these puppies with a good amp and really delve deep into the differences between some. I'm not a tube person to be honest, and the HE300's are warm enough (and yet have good highs!) to make me nudge these into the "try to amp them with solid-state if possible" pidgeon-hole. I think these could be great giant-killers, and they offer a very different sound from both the HD650 and the HD800, nudging more towards grado-style fun while staying absurdly detailed and composed about it. Color me intrigued.

Sep 12, 2011 at 11:47 AM Post #518 of 926

Quote:

The HE-4 might be exactly what you're looking for! I was deciding between the HE-300 and HE-4 and ended up going for the HE-4, but I still like to follow this thread since now I feel like a fan of anything Hifiman. 

Now, I haven't heard either the HE-300 or SRH940 so I can't give you any good comparisons. But if I were you I would definitely check out the HE-4 Impressions thread. These things are seriously detailed. Very good bass, detailed highs, solid mids, fun slight v-shaped freq response. I can no longer listen to my Ultrasone Pro 2500 now ever since the HE-4. And I thought the Pro 2500 was already really detailed.

Sep 12, 2011 at 1:40 PM Post #519 of 926
I like HE-4 much more than HE-300. Better bass and treble, HE-300 has better midrange obviously. He-4 is a much more dynamic and exciting headphone.

Sep 12, 2011 at 2:12 PM Post #520 of 926
Unfortunately I have to sell my pair... If anyone wants to buy a mint condition (10 hours only) HE-300, you guys can find them on the sales forum. 

Sep 13, 2011 at 1:47 AM Post #522 of 926
Sep 15, 2011 at 4:11 AM Post #525 of 926
Only by hand, not using any tools

Users who are viewing this thread

Back