HiFiMan HE-300 Coming Soon!
Jul 31, 2011 at 11:06 PM Post #76 of 926
Three months? Sometimes Chinese manufacturers shipping gets to the CONUS faster than other states in the US.

Aug 1, 2011 at 11:49 AM Post #78 of 926
Would love to know how these stack up against the HD 650. Right now I'm having a hard time choosing between the HD 650 and HE-4...and now HE-300.

BTW, does 15-22khz sound low to anyone else? Not sure if it matters much but other comparable headphones usually have quite a bit more range (and yes, I know that we technically can't even hear anything at those extreme frequencies and that music doesn't go that high or low).

Aug 1, 2011 at 11:50 AM Post #79 of 926
Is there anyone that already owns the HE 500 or HE 4 going to get the HE 300? I know its early but I would like to see how it stands up against the other Hifiman HP's. I plan on getting on of them but kind of want the best bang for your buck headphone relative to performance from Hifiman.

Aug 1, 2011 at 12:09 PM Post #80 of 926
I own both HE-5 and HE-6 and planning on getting this HE-300 soon but I would like to find out more about them. Like amping requirements and weaknesses and strengths. HifiMan has never let me down so far but I am still waiting for at least a couple of more impressions to decide whether I would like to make HE-300 my all time dynamic portable, meaning, inside the house portable... 

Aug 2, 2011 at 3:24 AM Post #81 of 926
I have the HE-6 and pulled the trigger on this (for my portable rig also) so I'll let you know, just PM me in a week or so so I don't forget. I will be using a CF Whipmod from Whiplash Audio with there reference LOD and a Ray Samuels SR71B to drive them, and the cable I will be using will be re-terminated stock cable (balanced).

Aug 2, 2011 at 11:05 AM Post #83 of 926

Quote:
They are compared to the HE-500s in this review: http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Head-Direct/HE-300/1.html

Thanks. Seems to be a good review but it could also be biased who knows. I like how they compared the HE 300's to the higher end Hifimans and vaguely to some of the mid fi sennheisers. I would have liked them to compare them to some of the beyerdynamic's like the 990 and 880 because I have more experience with those.

And what's the deal with the ear pads, they mentioned it like 2 or 3 times and I have seen complaints on here. Are the ear pads a dealbreaker? And they said Hifiman was in the process of coming up with a better solution, do you think it's better to wait and see what the solution is?

Aug 2, 2011 at 4:39 PM Post #84 of 926
Frederik did that review so you can ask directly. The new earpads should just about be out, don't know if they use a better system for attaching. I have personally not had any problems with the stock pads on the HE-4 and HE-500 I own/have owned other than the HE-500 pads being perhaps a bit shallower.

Aug 2, 2011 at 7:17 PM Post #85 of 926
I think I'll wait for some more reviews on them..if I can last that long

That review makes me think that they will sound different than my DT880 and I have wanted something to contrast my DT880 for a while. I'm hoping this could be it since I don't quite have the amping requirements for their orthos and don't want to upgrade for now so something like this might work better.

Aug 3, 2011 at 5:49 AM Post #86 of 926
Currently I have no Beyer DT-series headphones with me. But compared to the MMX300s which are based around the DT770 design, albeit with a slightly more efficient driver, the HE-300s have a little more bass. The sound stage is slightly better on the MMX300s since it is deeper. The bass of the HiFiMAN 300s is bigger and a tad faster. The midrange is more revealing on the HE-300s, but it is a bit further back in the mix. Treble wise the HE-300s have better definition, and a little more energy, but also a bit more sibilance.

The HE-300s have a more V-shaped frequency response than the MMX300s to the best of my ears. The two are equally easy to drive.

After using the HE-300s for a bit of time now I have found that positioning is very important. It is definitely worth to play around with. With the driver right over the ear compared to in front and down from the ear the headphones change noticeably.

I had a set of DT770s (250 Ohm) a while back and to the best of my recollection the MMX300s are lighter in the bass department and have less emphasized highs.

Aug 3, 2011 at 10:18 PM Post #87 of 926

Quote:
Just wondering, when you order from Hifiman direct, are the HE-300 shipped from New York or China? In other words, will it take three days or three months to deliver?

Currently we only have HE300 in stock in China. However we ship via UPS, Fedex or USPS express mail which only take about 3 to 5 days to arrive. 

HiFiMAN Innovating the art of listening. Stay updated on HiFiMAN at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://hifiman.com
Aug 3, 2011 at 11:35 PM Post #88 of 926

Currently we only have HE300 in stock in China. However we ship via UPS, Fedex or USPS express mail which only take about 3 to 5 days to arrive. 

I can testify to the shipping exploits of HiFiMan from their Chinese facility. I ordered the HE-6 on the 15th of Dec. and was astonished when they would have been at my house in three days but were held at the Cincinnati hub until Monday (2 days). They were on my head by the 20th.

Aug 4, 2011 at 1:17 AM Post #89 of 926

Quote:
e MMX300s are lighter in the bass department and have less emphasized highs.

i hope you didn't mean it. really.
if mmx300 are based on DT770, that means that they are sibilance-monsters.
if HE-300 are even brighter...that's bad news

Aug 4, 2011 at 3:25 AM Post #90 of 926
The MMX300s are from what I remember much softer than the DT770s like I wrote in the comparison.
And the DT770s can be sibilant but I think the 80 Ohm new version I heard was the only one where it was out of control. To be fair it might depend on source and amping I have heard quite a few DT770 rigs that sounded good. The 600 Ohm manufaktur version is a real treat to listen to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back