HIFIMAN Flagship Headphone HE1000 Beta Testing Opportunity Complete - Feel free to still comment
Jun 4, 2015 at 9:27 PM Post #1,667 of 1,738
By then there might be an he2000 :wink:

I hope not, then I know it out of the park for me. History tell me HE6 over $1k  and HE1000 $3k. If a HE2000 get released in 3 years time it will likely be $5-6K

That's nearly 3 years of saving!!!

Now that I think of it, I should double my effort so I get then next year. Be good so HiFi Man iron out any issue with production. Who know, they might release a revision of the drivers.
Always a safe bet to wait.

Quote:

Just wait for a used one when the HE2000 comes out.

I like the way you think, might was for an unloved pair then in the trade forum.

Jun 5, 2015 at 3:50 AM Post #1,668 of 1,738
The HE2K should be cheaper as technology would be farther and manufacturing costs more efficient.
There should also be a true, similarly priced HE-6 sucessor as a 'trickled down' version of the HEK.
The HE-6 is being discontinued I believe...
I also wonder how the HE-400S is :)

Jun 5, 2015 at 4:00 AM Post #1,669 of 1,738
As a huge fan of the HE-560, I was pretty much a dead cert for jumping on the HE-1000, but various impressions from ears I trust have raised way too many doubts to make it a no-brainer for me at the asking price. I'll be demoing them for myself when I can, but I'm going to delay a final decision for six months at least.  Hifiman have previous form in less than stellar initial releases and it does rather seem that this "beta" program is not really a beta in the strictest sense....at least, if reports of pre-order product being shipped imminently are true.

On the positive side of things, it does seem that the Hifiman are paying attention to some beta feedback elsewhere on the interwebs.  I hope they are not too proud to alter aspects of the design if their own testing concurs with this feedback.

Jun 18, 2015 at 2:16 PM Post #1,670 of 1,738

Hmmm...how should I respond...

A friend of mine who has tested is gave me an advice :
"Good Bye"
and when he learnt the price, it was even clear :
"They are crazy, keep away from it untill the finish it"

He'll give me his full review  in English and I'll try to translate it in French. But the summary is rather clear : after unconvincing  if not dreadful electronics from HiFiMan, they are now selling the worst ratio quality/price high (?) end headphone of the 21rst century. Keep away from this brand untill they become a little bit more realistic.

I don't know why but I don't expect his review to be published in the latest reviews on HiFiMan's site. I'm 100% sure it won't be because it'll be a neg review but just because it'll be in French. lol

Jun 18, 2015 at 2:43 PM Post #1,671 of 1,738
I guess the price in itself puts it into a 'niche' market. What concerns me is how most manufacturers are now regarding £1000 - £1500 as a reapectable price for a headphone. It's slowly changing our perspective on the value of them.

A Senn hd650 at £240 seems relatively such a good buy now in spite of its fr and faults.

Jun 18, 2015 at 3:11 PM Post #1,672 of 1,738
It reminds me of high end audio...at one point "Class A" components in the mags like Stereophile would run maybe 2k-5k, not cheap, but could be afforded by some mortals that didn't have a huge trust fund. But, over the years, Class A came to be populated with amps that cost $50,000, it wasn't high end if it didn't cost 10K, then people started to wonder about the lack of interest in high end audio...
Looks like the same spiral...

Jun 18, 2015 at 4:38 PM Post #1,673 of 1,738
I guess the price in itself puts it into a 'niche' market. What concerns me is how most manufacturers are now regarding £1000 - £1500 as a reapectable price for a headphone. It's slowly changing our perspective on the value of them.

A Senn hd650 at £240 seems relatively such a good buy now in spite of its fr and faults.

In my opinion, high-end headphones aren't about making money but to show off the engineering capabilities of a certain brand which will help sells of their cheaper models. And pricing the high-end headphones higher than the competitors gives it more status.

Jun 18, 2015 at 4:47 PM Post #1,674 of 1,738

In my opinion, high-end headphones aren't about making money but to show off the engineering capabilities of a certain brand which will help sells of their cheaper models. And pricing the high-end headphones higher than the competitors gives it more status.

I think there is some truth to that, they don't mind selling the flagship, but there is some prestige in having SOTA units.

Jun 18, 2015 at 5:57 PM Post #1,675 of 1,738

I guess there is a logic to that. It is a bit disconcerting though, that some headphones at this level have basic faults that really shouldn't be there in premium products. Fostex th900 screws coming undone on the earcups, senn hd800 with pads that are not easily changed when they get tired or dirty, some where headphone wood cracks, he1000 very large and so not easily fitting some heads (hopefully, that may change).

Let alone frequency response problems of the 'bright hd800', the u shaped th900, the slightly strange treble response measured by Tyll on the he1000.

I once thought that the hd650 was an expensive, high end type headphone. Now, my perpective has changed and I regard it as quite a cheap headphone thanks to the newer models now flying out at £1000.+.

I'm beginning to think it might be cheaper to go back to speakers and at least gain a better image.

Jun 18, 2015 at 8:47 PM Post #1,676 of 1,738
...A Senn hd650 at £240 seems relatively such a good buy now in spite of its fr and faults.

I bought my pair of HD600's for $225 in 2001.

...I'm beginning to think it might be cheaper to go back to speakers and at least gain a better image.

The reason that we use headphones, is because we can achieve a total musical experience that would cost $1000's of dollars more with speakers. Also, unless you live by yourself and don't have close neighbors, you could never listen to speakers in private (bother them, them bother you).
The have different purposes and both offer different advantages and disadvantages. Just like sports car vs. utility van. Can they really be compared?

Jun 18, 2015 at 9:19 PM Post #1,677 of 1,738
You want Class A rated speakers? You can spend $20,000-$100,000 on a pair, headphones still seem like a bargain, even at the rapidly escalating prices.

Jun 18, 2015 at 9:23 PM Post #1,678 of 1,738
I guess there is a logic to that. It is a bit disconcerting though, that some headphones at this level have basic faults that really shouldn't be there in premium products. Fostex th900 screws coming undone on the earcups, senn hd800 with pads that are not easily changed when they get tired or dirty, some where headphone wood cracks, he1000 very large and so not easily fitting some heads (hopefully, that may change).

Let alone frequency response problems of the 'bright hd800', the u shaped th900, the slightly strange treble response measured by Tyll on the he1000.

I once thought that the hd650 was an expensive, high end type headphone. Now, my perpective has changed and I regard it as quite a cheap headphone thanks to the newer models now flying out at £1000.+.

I'm beginning to think it might be cheaper to go back to speakers and at least gain a better image.

Even with my my amazing headphones I'd actually on most days still prefer to listen to my speakers which cost only slightly more than the cans

Jun 18, 2015 at 9:33 PM Post #1,679 of 1,738
If I had put all the money I have in my headphones into a set of speakers instead, I think I would have the most amazing set of speakers within miles!!

Jun 18, 2015 at 9:46 PM Post #1,680 of 1,738
I have a nice main system in my living room, and love listening to it when I'm in the mood to sit there and listen. However, I find I'm much more inclined to listen in bed (really inclined, HAHAHA), or out walking the dog, our at my computer, listen to headphones 90+% of the time, and really enjoy it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back