HIFIMAN Flagship Headphone HE1000 Beta Testing Opportunity Complete - Feel free to still comment

First

Back
106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115
Page 116 of 116
  1. immtbiker Moderator

Yeah! What he said…or that other handsome guy [​IMG]

2. Mach3
    Has anyone compared the Betas to the Productions?

3. maeveth
    I wasnt able to A/B them but to my ears the Production units sounded a bit better than the Beta ones.

4. Mach3
    Is it possible for you to outlined what sounded better between the 2. Like bass, mid, treble, transparency, imaging, soundstage?

5. maeveth
    Generally everything was better.  However of particular note I felt like there was better bass, just as tight as before but more impactful.  I can only assume that this was due to the fact that the headband was shorter and thus has slightly less mass to absorb the vibrations.

It also to my head is a bit more comfortable.

6. m8o
    I just purchased an HE1000 that, based on notes written on the box, arrived at the retailer around the middle of June.  

Is there a way to tell, based on the box or serial number, that I did not purchase a Beta item, rather it was deemed 'production' by you, HiFiMan?

7. conquerator2
    Well, just the headband has been shrunk a bit, I believe. As long as they fit you well, they should be the production model [​IMG]

8. Currawong Contributor
    The Betas didn't appear to have had any long-term run-in as their sound changed with use. The final version sounded like the beta version after a hundred or more hours of use, with less boomy bass and more refined overall.

9. Music Alchemist
    Another difference is that the earlier units had HE-1000 (with the dash) instead of HE1000 (without the dash) on the side of the headphones. However, I am uncertain as to whether there are also a limited number of beta units without the dash. Not sure how many beta units are still in circulation either.

10. ruthieandjohn
    This  is a REAL DISCOVERY! (that betas were HE-1000 and productions were HE1000).  Thanks, @Music Alchemist !!!

11. Music Alchemist

I actually don't remember whether your beta unit that I auditioned had the dash or not. It's possible that they removed the dash in the middle of the beta period, since there were at least two separate batches. I may have discussed this with other beta testers, but don't recall. But remember how I told you that day how I was thinking about getting the STAX SR-207? I owned it for awhile and honestly like it quite a bit more than the HE1000, which is impressive considering that it's over seven times more affordable. (And the used one I got was over sixteen times cheaper!) To my ears, nothing can compete with the transparency of electrostats. Of course, the HE1000 and other flagships do certain things better. I think the HE1000 is the ultimate "lush" headphone. Sounds good with literally everything, but the lushness (slightly warm and smooth, subdued without vicious impact) diminishes from the realism for me. Would still like to add it to the collection next year, but only after the SR-009 and a few other things are taken care of.

12. money4me247 Contributor
    lol wow. that is a really small detail. I don't even recall what the labeling of my beta he-1000 was.

13. Music Alchemist

It should also be noted that the "official" Head-Fi photos are of a unit with the dash on it.

First

Back
106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115
Page 116 of 116