Hifiman Edition XS Launched
Jan 6, 2022 at 12:57 AM Post #721 of 2,777
No question from what I see that the Ananda is easier to drive than the XS. But that translates to different things to different people. Like loud? Soft? Classical? Death metal?

I was surprised when my ancient Daps and my LG v40 did great with the HD-600, 4XX and HEX v2. Not at all good when the big planars got plugged in

Early in this thread people were saying XS was like the XX or HEX v2 - well soundwise - maybe. Efficiency not likely.
Remind me again, you’ve heard the XS, or no?

Jan 6, 2022 at 6:52 AM Post #722 of 2,777
Remind me again, you’ve heard the XS, or no?
No. Just reading this thread and using my experience with the 3 HFM cans most often compared to the XS.

Nothing I wrote in that post or thread makes any claims that I have heard them.

Jan 6, 2022 at 9:44 AM Post #723 of 2,777
Here, problem solved!
A soft piece of leather, a bit of double sided tape, that'll do it.
Steadier, non-slip, stays on my head without tightening the spring.

IMG_20220106_143405.jpg
IMG_20220106_143411.jpg
IMG_20220106_143711.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2022 at 10:48 AM Post #725 of 2,777
Here, problem solved!
A soft piece of leather, a bit of double sided tape, that'll do it.
Steadier, non-slip, stays on my head without tightening the spring.

Very nice. It looks like it's made for the headphone! I've done something along those lines with my Drop HE-X4's, in my case to get better comfort--I added an OEM Sennheiser HD-650/6XX headband pad in a similar fashion using the smallest amount of Scotch velcro tape at either end, just enough to keep it connected. I have to extend the band out to the max but it gets rid of the hotspot and the fit is very good overall.

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2022 at 4:32 PM Post #730 of 2,777
Finally got a pair of these babies, which I have lusted after since they debuted as a China-only product last year. Thanks to fellow Head-fier @dougq for a smokin' deal and superb, smooth transaction.

First impressions: The Edition XS fulfill the hype -- and then some. I'm beyond delighted with these after the first two hours of listening.

I'm happy to compare these to a few headphones outside of the HiFiMan line -- I've owned/own HD 560s, HD 6XX, Elegia, Meze 99 Classics, ATH-M40x, ATH-M50x -- I think it's probably best and most accurate to compare to the HiFiMan headphone that I own, the HE-400se.

I know the Sundara is the step just below the XS in the HiFiMan, but I've never owned or tried it. Decided to jump straight from HE-400se to XS after my recent purchase of the Elegia showed me how mid-fi can be a considerable jump over entry-fi.

The Edition XS basically take what's good in the HE-400se and elevate it about five times. And it takes the flaws of the 400se and fixes them.

All of these impressions are without EQ. I'm not a huge EQ guy, as I like the varying sound signatures of the cans in my collection (HE-400se, Elegia, HD 6XX).

First, the Edition XS bass. It's more controlled, punchy and present than in the HE-400se, which already has good, entry-level planar bass. There's no grain, spike or congestion in the treble so far, which can be a problem in some complex passages with the HE-400se. But the biggest difference in the basic sound signature between the HE-400se and the Edition XS are the mids -- they're far more defined and present in the Edition XS than in the HE-400se.

Other thoughts about the XS compared to the HE-400se ... Clarity? Better. Imaging? MUCH better. Soundstage? Considerably wider. Comfort. The same -- both are very comfortable, but the XS has even less clamping force. Good for my fat, bald dome.

I'm not an audiophile with decades of experience and a fat checkbook. I've been active in this wonderful hobby and with its cool people for about five years, and my finances finally have allowed me to graduate from entry-fi to mid-fi. But the Edition XS are the highest-quality all-arounders I've heard. The only headphone I've heard that's better is the Focal Stellia, and that's a $3,000 can.

There's just nothing in the XS' sound signature that offends my ears and brain in the slightest, which is rare since I'm very treble-sensitive and suffer from raging tinnitus. And there's a HELL of a lot in the sound signature that matches my idea of audio nirvana.

Time to compare the Edition XS to the other mid-fi can in my collection, the Elegia. Yes, the detail and some of the treble in the Elegia match or possibly exceed that in the XS. But the Elegia don't do bass or soundstage nearly as well as the XS. The Elegia are great for strings, classical, vocals, acoustic, piano jazz, bluegrass -- music that lives in the mids. But they're not so great for rock, alternative rock or metal.

So far, the Edition XS have been great with every genre, just like my HE-400se, which are THE definitive entry-level can, in my opinion. But the Edition XS are just significantly better at everything than the HE-400se.

Finally, I don't get the fuss about power requirements for the Edition XS. I'm driving them to ample volume on low gain of my JDS Atom+ stack. The dial is at about noon or 1 p.m. I'm sure more powerful amps would elicit even more fidelity, but I'm already in rapture at what I'm hearing.

The Edition XS may stop my headphone churn for a while. They're THAT good. I feel like I would need to pierce the four-figure spend range to get anything much better.

I'm so damn impressed -- and happy!

Feel free to toss any questions my way.

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2022 at 5:38 PM Post #731 of 2,777
Finally got a pair of these babies, which I have lusted after since they debuted as a China-only product last year. Thanks to fellow Head-fier @dougq for a smokin' deal and superb, smooth transaction.

First impressions: The Edition XS fulfill the hype -- and then some. I'm beyond delighted with these after the first two hours of listening.

I'm happy to compare these to a few headphones outside of the HiFiMan line -- I've owned/own HD 560s, HD 6XX, Elegia, Meze 99 Classics, ATH-M40x, ATH-M50x -- I think it's probably best and most accurate to compare to the HiFiMan headphone that I own, the HE-400se.

I know the Sundara is the step just below the XS in the HiFiMan, but I've never owned or tried it. Decided to jump straight from HE-400se to XS after my recent purchase of the Elegia showed me how mid-fi can be a considerable jump over entry-fi.

The Edition XS basically take what's good in the HE-400se and elevate it about five times. And it takes the flaws of the 400se and fixes them.

All of these impressions are without EQ. I'm not a huge EQ guy, as I like the varying sound signatures of the cans in my collection (HE-400se, Elegia, HD 6XX).

First, the Edition XS bass. It's more controlled, punchy and present than in the HE-400se, which already has good, entry-level planar bass. There's no grain, spike or congestion in the treble so far, which can be a problem in some complex passages with the HE-400se. But the biggest difference in the basic sound signature between the HE-400se and the Edition XS are the mids -- they're far more defined and present in the Edition XS than in the HE-400se.

Other thoughts about the XS compared to the HE-400se ... Clarity? Better. Imaging? MUCH better. Soundstage? Considerably wider. Comfort. The same -- both are very comfortable, but the XS has even less clamping force. Good for my fat, bald dome.

I'm not an audiophile with decades of experience and a fat checkbook. I've been active in this wonderful hobby and with its cool people for about five years, and my finances finally have allowed me to graduate from entry-fi to mid-fi. But the Edition XS are the highest-quality all-arounders I've heard. The only headphone I've heard that's better is the Focal Stellia, and that's a $3,000 can.

There's just nothing in the XS' sound signature that offends my ears and brain in the slightest, which is rare since I'm very treble-sensitive and suffer from raging tinnitus. And there's a HELL of a lot in the sound signature that matches my idea of audio nirvana.

Time to compare the Edition XS to the other mid-fi can in my collection, the Elegia. Yes, the detail and some of the treble in the Elegia match or possibly exceed that in the XS. But the Elegia don't do bass or soundstage nearly as well as the XS. The Elegia are great for strings, classical, vocals, acoustic, piano jazz, bluegrass -- music that lives in the mids. But they're not so great for rock, alternative rock or metal.

So far, the Edition XS have been great with every genre, just like my HE-400se, which are THE definitive entry-level can, in my opinion. But the Edition XS are just significantly better at everything than the HE-400se.

Finally, I don't get the fuss about power requirements for the Edition XS. I'm driving them to ample volume on low gain of my JDS Atom+ stack. The dial is at about noon or 1 p.m. I'm sure more powerful amps would elicit even more fidelity, but I'm already in rapture at what I'm hearing.

The Edition XS may stop my headphone churn for a while. They're THAT good. I feel like I would need to pierce the four-figure spend range to get anything much better.

Very nice review. If you want to try other HFM stuff under 1k, try:

* HE-6se v2 (u will need a bigger amp)
* used HEX v2
* used HE-500 (might need bigger amp)
* Ananda
* used Arya v1 & 2 should be below a K.

Don't need to hear them all but you would extend your knowledge on what u like.

Jan 6, 2022 at 5:48 PM Post #732 of 2,777

I have the Focal Clear (on sale!).
I can not get to them at all - interesting that you consider Elegia as comparable .
I don't think of the Clears much.

Jan 6, 2022 at 5:51 PM Post #733 of 2,777
I have the Focal Clear (on sale!).
I can not get to them at all - interesting that you consider Elegia as comparable .
I don't think of the Clears much.
I compared the Elegia and the Edition XS, but I thought my description indicated they're not comparable.

For starters, the Elegia are closed-back dynamics; the Edition XS are open-back planars. The Elegia are detail monsters -- that's their big trick, one I enjoy. The Edition XS don't have any special tricks. They're just balanced, detailed and separated so well across the sonic spectrum.

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2022 at 5:52 PM Post #734 of 2,777
Very nice review. If you want to try other HFM stuff under 1k, try:

* HE-6se v2 (u will need a bigger amp)
* used HEX v2
* used HE-500 (might need bigger amp)
* Ananda
* used Arya v1 & 2 should be below a K.

Don't need to hear them all but you would extend your knowledge on what u like.
Thanks for tips. I'll hear them eventually, but I have turned over my entire headphone collection and amp-DAC in the last two months. My money clip needs a break ... :)

Jan 6, 2022 at 5:53 PM Post #735 of 2,777
And here is something that didn't work!
Devil makes work for idle hands. So I thought I have a go at the earpads.

IMG_20220106_160824~2.jpg

I cut some thin leather leftovers I had and fixed them to the underside of the pad, thinking the suede side, would stop diaphragm reflections.
Not good!
It messed with the sound, sound stage got confused, sound became dull, a lot less bright and some of the resolution vanished.
Also, there was this squeak that appeared out of nowhere, I checked the pads after I removed the above, but that damn squeak wouldn't go away - finally I gave up for the night, sat back, took my glasses off and rubbed my eyes - squeek was gone!
It turned out to be the pads rubbing against my glasses handles - aaargh.
Well, you win some, you lose some.
Don't do it!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back