Hifiman Edition XS Launched
Jan 7, 2022 at 8:59 AM Post #751 of 2,784
Just got my order in. Says it arrives from the 12th to the 18th but with my recent luck it'll be the 18th lol

Jan 7, 2022 at 9:07 AM Post #752 of 2,784
This is very interesting. My reference for partial slam is the HE-6se. If the XS is better and isn't too "fat" in the sub 80 Hz area than it passes that test. That's a wow.
As you recall, I have a Sundara and had HE560 , so my experience is limited to these (on Hifiman).
What XS does that other two don't (also in my review) is an Ear-Thumping effect!
It means if there is a sudden sound, it almost pops your ear-drums, now is that what a slam is? I wouldn't kow.
But is it a polite Bass? yes, but sometimes with a pop.
On bass drums (UB40 Madame Madusa), it does sounds like a hammer hitting the bass drum, you will not confuse bass guitar plucking with bass drums, resolution alone is enough to tell them apart. But kick-drums (bass-drums) have a distinct power to them.
Does that answer your question?
Incidentally on my gear, the headphone cable can alter the nature of Bass - bad cable = hard hitting dry Bass, Good cable = no hardness, deeper bass, more resolution.

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2022 at 9:57 AM Post #753 of 2,784
Well written.

Probably expecting HE-6 bass out of them is asking too much. It's the snap of Bill Brufords roto toms, or having my eyes close involuntary when Stanley Clarke plays much of his first LP.

The growl in the bass can be real, or have raised midbass, or poor Q. One way to tell is if two or more bass instruments don't smudge each other which these based on your take is probably the real McCoy.

I think I've only read only one compare of the XS and 6se. That might be the best run-off for me.

Jan 7, 2022 at 10:36 AM Post #754 of 2,784
As you recall, I have a Sundara and had HE560 , so my experience is limited to these (on Hifiman).
What XS does that other two don't (also in my review) is an Ear-Thumping effect!
It means if there is a sudden sound, it almost pops your ear-drums, now is that what a slam is? I wouldn't kow.
But is it a polite Bass? yes, but sometimes with a pop.
On bass drums (UB40 Madame Madusa), it does sounds like a hammer hitting the bass drum, you will not confuse bass guitar plucking with bass drums, resolution alone is enough to tell them apart. But kick-drums (bass-drums) have a distinct power to them.
Does that answer your question?
Incidentally on my gear, the headphone cable can alter the nature of Bass - bad cable = hard hitting dry Bass, Good cable = no hardness, deeper bass, more resolution.

Yep, what you're referring to is often called "punch", and it's something the very best Hifiman cans do well.

Jan 7, 2022 at 11:24 AM Post #755 of 2,784
Yep, what you're referring to is often called "punch", and it's something the very best Hifiman cans do well.
Thanx for clearing that out.
So many descriptive words in Hifi.

Jan 7, 2022 at 6:38 PM Post #756 of 2,784
No. Just reading this thread and using my experience with the 3 HFM cans most often compared to the XS.

Nothing I wrote in that post or thread makes any claims that I have heard them.
You’re speaking authoritatively with zero Edition XS experience, which is why I checked. Usually a person doesn’t do that unless they have firsthand experience, measurements, or both.

Jan 7, 2022 at 9:23 PM Post #757 of 2,784
You’re speaking authoritatively with zero Edition XS experience, which is why I checked. Usually a person doesn’t do that unless they have firsthand experience, measurements, or both.
I speak authoritatively about the Ananda, 6se, XX, HEX v2 since I know them and they have been listed as comps. I ask questions about the XS, troubles with buying in China, etc. Show me an authoratative statement about the XS I made in HF. Don't like it. Don't read it.

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2022 at 4:27 PM Post #758 of 2,784
i think that's actually what the stealth magnets do best. none of them have what the he6 does but the XS is hilariously close with some EQ and even without it can slam pretty hard, something the Arya and Ananda were never capable of, imo, even with EQ. pad swap helped with impact as well.

give me some songs to compare and i'll test with flat EQ and with a boost and see what i come up with.
Patricia Barber: Too Rich for my Blood
Stanley Clarke: Vulcan Princess & Life Suite Pt 4
Kodo: Heartbeat Drummers of Japan
Prokofiev: Lt Kije
Respigi: Pines of Rome "Borghese"
Dynamic Test - Chesky
Philip Glass: Pruit Igoe
Stravinksy: The Royal March, The Soldier's Tale
Siri Svale: Don't Explain (first :40 sec)
Kraftwerk: Tour de France - Electro Kardio

Check 'em out.

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2022 at 4:55 PM Post #759 of 2,784
Patricia Barber: Too Rich for my Blood
Stanley Clarke: Vulcan Princess & Life Suite Pt 4
Kodo: Heartbeat Drummers of Japan
Prokofiev: Lt Kije
Respigi: Pines of Rome "Borghese"
Dynamic Test-Introduction - Chesky
Philip Glass: Pruit Igoe
Stravinksy: The Royal March, The Soldier's Tale
Siri Svale: Don't Explain (first :40 sec)
Kraftwerk: Tour de France - Electro Kardio

Check 'em out.
Showing off, are we?
give him a week or two.
so hard to sell you hifi.

Jan 10, 2022 at 9:36 AM Post #760 of 2,784

This video has been shared on other platforms already - another perspective for folks considering/comparing the Edition XS against the Anandas or the Sundaras.
So I guess so far we've established that the XS>Sundaras.

TL;DR: As for Anandas, the reviewer suggests those for Classical/Rock/Jazz music etc. For modern music, he recommends the XS.

Jan 10, 2022 at 11:25 AM Post #761 of 2,784

This video has been shared on other platforms already - another perspective for folks considering/comparing the Edition XS against the Anandas or the Sundaras.
So I guess so far we've established that the XS>Sundaras.

TL;DR: As for Anandas, the reviewer suggests those for Classical/Rock/Jazz music etc. For modern music, he recommends the XS.

I've never heard Ananda, but I think the XS are pretty special for rock and jazz, too.

Jan 11, 2022 at 1:24 AM Post #763 of 2,784
One of the reasons I'd use the Ananda for classical or jazz is these genres often have more quiet bits. The Edition XS headband is much less secure and this in turn makes it much creakier with head movement than the Ananda. I notice this most in the quiet bits.

Jan 11, 2022 at 2:00 AM Post #764 of 2,784
One of the reasons I'd use the Ananda for classical or jazz is these genres often have more quiet bits. The Edition XS headband is much less secure and this in turn makes it much creakier with head movement than the Ananda. I notice this most in the quiet bits.

thankfully I haven't noticed this

Jan 11, 2022 at 2:04 AM Post #765 of 2,784
Hmmm though I can understand what you're saying... But creakier? Well tbh for me, this is among the least creaky cans in my collection. I mean sometimes I shake them on my head to readjust them (I don't like stock pads, hopefully will be better when I put on the sheepskins), I can't get it to creak. I'm yet to hear any creaks in my pair of the XS. Really, it hasn't creaked on me at all. And it's hardly flimsy - seems to me one of the better Hifimans put together really.

I mean check the video above... Way he shakes the Anandas surprised me profoundly, in comparison. For me, twisting and turning the XS is very smooth, even shaking it, it feels solid. And I don't hear any sounds with head movements at all.

@bohn me neither.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back