Hifiman Edition XS Launched
Jan 6, 2022 at 5:59 PM Post #736 of 2,784
I compared the Elegia and the Edition XS, but I thought my description indicated they're not comparable.

For starters, the Elegia are closed-back dynamics; the Edition XS are open-back planars. The Elegia are detail monsters -- that's their big trick, one I enjoy. The Edition XS don't have any special tricks. They're just balanced, detailed and separated so well across the sonic spectrum.
My mistake then.
I have nothing good to say about Focal Clear.
That's a lie, the bundled cables are good!

Jan 6, 2022 at 6:20 PM Post #737 of 2,784
Finally got a pair of these babies, which I have lusted after since they debuted as a China-only product last year. Thanks to fellow Head-fier @dougq for a smokin' deal and superb, smooth transaction.

First impressions: The Edition XS fulfill the hype -- and then some. I'm beyond delighted with these after the first two hours of listening.

I'm happy to compare these to a few headphones outside of the HiFiMan line -- I've owned/own HD 560s, HD 6XX, Elegia, Meze 99 Classics, ATH-M40x, ATH-M50x -- I think it's probably best and most accurate to compare to the HiFiMan headphone that I own, the HE-400se.

I know the Sundara is the step just below the XS in the HiFiMan, but I've never owned or tried it. Decided to jump straight from HE-400se to XS after my recent purchase of the Elegia showed me how mid-fi can be a considerable jump over entry-fi.

The Edition XS basically take what's good in the HE-400se and elevate it about five times. And it takes the flaws of the 400se and fixes them.

All of these impressions are without EQ. I'm not a huge EQ guy, as I like the varying sound signatures of the cans in my collection (HE-400se, Elegia, HD 6XX).

First, the Edition XS bass. It's more controlled, punchy and present than in the HE-400se, which already has good, entry-level planar bass. There's no grain, spike or congestion in the treble so far, which can be a problem in some complex passages with the HE-400se. But the biggest difference in the basic sound signature between the HE-400se and the Edition XS are the mids -- they're far more defined and present in the Edition XS than in the HE-400se.

Other thoughts about the XS compared to the HE-400se ... Clarity? Better. Imaging? MUCH better. Soundstage? Considerably wider. Comfort. The same -- both are very comfortable, but the XS has even less clamping force. Good for my fat, bald dome.

I'm not an audiophile with decades of experience and a fat checkbook. I've been active in this wonderful hobby and with its cool people for about five years, and my finances finally have allowed me to graduate from entry-fi to mid-fi. But the Edition XS are the highest-quality all-arounders I've heard. The only headphone I've heard that's better is the Focal Stellia, and that's a $3,000 can.

There's just nothing in the XS' sound signature that offends my ears and brain in the slightest, which is rare since I'm very treble-sensitive and suffer from raging tinnitus. And there's a HELL of a lot in the sound signature that matches my idea of audio nirvana.

Time to compare the Edition XS to the other mid-fi can in my collection, the Elegia. Yes, the detail and some of the treble in the Elegia match or possibly exceed that in the XS. But the Elegia don't do bass or soundstage nearly as well as the XS. The Elegia are great for strings, classical, vocals, acoustic, piano jazz, bluegrass -- music that lives in the mids. But they're not so great for rock, alternative rock or metal.

So far, the Edition XS have been great with every genre, just like my HE-400se, which are THE definitive entry-level can, in my opinion. But the Edition XS are just significantly better at everything than the HE-400se.

Finally, I don't get the fuss about power requirements for the Edition XS. I'm driving them to ample volume on low gain of my JDS Atom+ stack. The dial is at about noon or 1 p.m. I'm sure more powerful amps would elicit even more fidelity, but I'm already in rapture at what I'm hearing.

The Edition XS may stop my headphone churn for a while. They're THAT good. I feel like I would need to pierce the four-figure spend range to get anything much better.

I'm so damn impressed -- and happy!

Feel free to toss any questions my way.
Oh this is exciting. I have been eyeing these up since Christmas and just ordered them yesterday.

I am anticipating an improvement over my HE5XX (which are really good once run in).

Andrew

Jan 6, 2022 at 6:28 PM Post #739 of 2,784
The Bass/Sub Bass on certain tracks (and when called for) is incredible. Have never heard anything like it.
Head is about to explode, in a perfect kind of way.

The SP200 is driving them perfectly, pushes so hard they vibrate and they can easily go futher, no distortion, just perfection.

/end game
/end game
Wow - that makes the two of us (at least)!

Jan 6, 2022 at 8:26 PM Post #742 of 2,784
I'm jealous but I finally get to order my pair tomorrow, can't wait!

Jan 6, 2022 at 10:55 PM Post #743 of 2,784
The Bass/Sub Bass/Punch on certain tracks (and when called for) is incredible. Have never heard anything like it.
Head is about to explode, in a perfect kind of way.

The SP200 is driving them perfectly, pushes so hard they vibrate and they can easily go futher, no distortion, just perfection.

/end game
Good to know others are getting the physical rumble too. It's like having a Transducer attached (and those usually need a lot of power).
You won't get the noticeable rumble unless you're listening to sub 40hz content though, like LFE from movies.

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2022 at 10:57 PM Post #744 of 2,784
Good to know others are getting the physical rumble too. It's like having a Transducer attached (and those usually need a lot of power).
You won't get the noticeable rumble unless you're listening to sub 80hz content though, like LFE from movies.
Thought of your post when I first experienced it.
Had the same experience based on your post.

Jan 6, 2022 at 11:20 PM Post #745 of 2,784
@227qed It's very very good, it's certainly competitive with the Ananda, and for $100 less. I sort of feel the places they have saved are in the fit/headband, and the box/accessories, you don't get the faux leather case you get with the Ananda, and you get a far more "basic" black rubber cable rather than the catheter monstrosities they ship with the Ananda. The stock cable on the Edition XS is far more usable but Hifiman seem to have the idea that those cables they include with the Ananda are something else, they charge $180-200 each if you actually wanted to buy replacements from them. But the Ananda is definitely packaged as a more "premium" offering, and I think that's where the extra $100 goes. Bottom line- I don't think they saved on the sound, it's definitely competitive there and it does do some things better. Others worse, I was listening to some classical piano this morning and I noticed the creak creak creak from the headband. It's on a level with the Ananda. But I don't feel it's a total night and day difference though either, like the step up from the HE400SE (the other Hifiman I have).
Thanks for the feedback. While I’d love to get one I think it could end up being more trouble than it’s worth to sell the ananda and rebuy edition xs.

Definitely would love to just save up for an open box Arya or HEKSE though I think. Any idea if either of those will slam really hard in the bass department with a bit of EQ? I do a lot if gaming and movies and love me a good rumble.

Jan 6, 2022 at 11:39 PM Post #746 of 2,784
You won't get the noticeable rumble unless you're listening to sub 40hz content though, like LFE from movies.
i have an eq profile called earthquake simulator for them lol. it's pretty hilarious and they don't distort one bit. makes me think of that skullcandy crusher meme, except they shake more.

Jan 7, 2022 at 3:08 AM Post #747 of 2,784
Wow!! just wow, I wonder how will they compete to Ananda!!

Jan 7, 2022 at 6:42 AM Post #748 of 2,784
Question to all the XS low bass fans. I've heard all the long cup HFM's. They all have good bass (go low, clean, excellent tone). But none of the others has a great leading impact (transient snap) IMO. Do you hear it with the XS? Not the same as rumble.

I just bought an iFi Streamer, so it'll be the summer before I get the XS, so more questions.

Jan 7, 2022 at 7:05 AM Post #749 of 2,784
Question to all the XS low bass fans. I've heard all the long cup HFM's. They all have good bass (go low, clean, excellent tone). But none of the others has a great leading impact (transient snap) IMO. Do you hear it with the XS? Not the same as rumble.

I just bought an iFi Streamer, so it'll be the summer before I get the XS, so more questions.
i think that's actually what the stealth magnets do best. none of them have what the he6 does but the XS is hilariously close with some EQ and even without it can slam pretty hard, something the Arya and Ananda were never capable of, imo, even with EQ. pad swap helped with impact as well.

give me some songs to compare and i'll test with flat EQ and with a boost and see what i come up with.

Jan 7, 2022 at 7:35 AM Post #750 of 2,784
i think that's actually what the stealth magnets do best. none of them have what the he6 does but the XS is hilariously close with some EQ and even without it can slam pretty hard, something the Arya and Ananda were never capable of, imo, even with EQ. pad swap helped with impact as well.

give me some songs to compare and i'll test with flat EQ and with a boost and see what i come up with.
This is very interesting. My reference for partial slam is the HE-6se. If the XS is better and isn't too "fat" in the sub 80 Hz area than it passes that test. That's a wow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back