Hifiman Edition XS Launched
Jan 5, 2022 at 7:15 PM Post #706 of 2,784
Assuming you don't have an amp up to the job. The XS was said (somewhere in HF the past two weeks) to be 3-4 more db efficient than the HE-500. The HE-500 has long been blessed around here for needing 2 wpc @ 50 ohms to fully function. So are we talking 1.5 wpc? Also most SS amps put out more power at lower impedance, not less.

Given the impact made by the HE-6 11 years ago and the follow ons, the headphone amp market has radically changed wpc wise. There are Schiit amps for what $250-350 that have 4, 6, maybe 8 watts. Daps with similar stats. Used, kits....

It's a legit concern, but people should check carefully before they act given what they have/want/can afford.
Well it was a direct comparison to Ananda.
Ananda being so efficient not needing an amp at all!
My Chord Mojo can drive it very well.
it can do 400mW at 32 ohm, so about maybe 700mW at 18

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2022 at 7:34 PM Post #707 of 2,784
Well it was a direct comparison to Ananda.
Ananda being so efficient not needing an amp at all!
No question from what I see that the Ananda is easier to drive than the XS. But that translates to different things to different people. Like loud? Soft? Classical? Death metal?

I was surprised when my ancient Daps and my LG v40 did great with the HD-600, 4XX and HEX v2. Not at all good when the big planars got plugged in

Early in this thread people were saying XS was like the XX or HEX v2 - well soundwise - maybe. Efficiency not likely.

Jan 5, 2022 at 7:59 PM Post #708 of 2,784
Care about it.
the low impedance of Edition XS plus low sensitivity means a good separate amp. Ananda doesn't need it.
that means extra expense and bulk.
Ok, yes thats true. I have thr ifi idsd signature. Does 4 watts so works just fine.

Jan 5, 2022 at 9:09 PM Post #710 of 2,784
My Amp/DAC arrived today and I was finally able to test them with the XS correctly.

Interesting note regarding the ongoing amp/power discussion.

I ordered the SMSL SP200 which is notious for being overkill regarding power.
Every review/comment I've seen had said they don't go past 9 o'clock on high gain. Abyss 1266 being the exception (Zeos's US$ 5k cans)

My comfortable peak is 11/12 o'clock on high and 2/3 o'clock with low gain.
(I have good hearing and use similar volumes to friends/family normally, so no issues with hearing loss)

DAC is a Topping E30 running in DAC mode with a Hosa RCA interconnect to the Amp.

Unsure if it's a setting I haven't configured correctly but I've tried multiple quality files, flac etc, all have the same result.

Unless I'm mistaken, this may indicate they may benefit from higher power amps.

They sound inf*cking credible 😍
20220106_131421.jpg

Attachments

• 20220106_130317.jpg
    20220106_130317.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jan 5, 2022 at 10:05 PM Post #712 of 2,784
My Amp/DAC arrived today and I was finally able to test them with the XS correctly.

Every review/comment I've seen had said they don't go past 9 o'clock on high gain. Abyss 1266 being the exception (Zeos's US$ 5k cans)

My comfortable peak is 11/12 o'clock on high and 2 o'clock with low gain.
(I have good hearing and use similar volumes to friends/family normally, so no issues with hearing loss)

DAC is a Topping E30 running in DAC mode with a Hosa RCA interconnect to the Amp.

Unsure if it's a setting I haven't configured correctly but I've tried multiple quality files, flac etc, all have the same result.

Unless I'm mistaken, this may indicate they require/benefit from higher power amps.

They sound inf*ckingcredible
That's a nice combo, I use the mt-602 and the Toppinh EX5, so if i want the tube sound w these( they are amazing w tubes) I just switch the ex5 to pre out but if I want solid state performance, just switch back. I wonder if anyone uses a setup like this.

Jan 5, 2022 at 10:09 PM Post #713 of 2,784
That's a nice combo, I use the mt-602 and the Toppinh EX5, so if i want the tube sound w these( they are amazing w tubes) I just switch the ex5 to pre out but if I want solid state performance, just switch back. I wonder if anyone uses a setup like this.
Thanks homie, my first legit setup. So happy, thanks for all for the great tips especially Pokrog & Jasswolf.

Jan 5, 2022 at 10:22 PM Post #714 of 2,784
I disagree.
I like the suspended leather for headband better.
I think this is personal. The fit on the Ananda is much better for me, it's far more secure. The Edition XS will literally fall off my head if I look straight down. But others find the Ananda clamp to be too strong, to the point it gets painful. I don't at all, but this is a commonly reported issue. I think for these people the Edition XS might work better, as it's much much looser. I much prefer the Ananda suspension headband too, but it depends on your head.

Jan 5, 2022 at 10:29 PM Post #715 of 2,784
I think this is personal. The fit on the Ananda is much better for me, it's far more secure. The Edition XS will literally fall off my head if I look straight down. But others find the Ananda clamp to be too strong, to the point it gets painful. I don't at all, but this is a commonly reported issue. I think for these people the Edition XS might work better, as it's much much looser. I much prefer the Ananda suspension headband too, but it depends on your head.
I literally sent back my Ananda cuz they gave me insane headaches. Hoping the XS will work better

Jan 5, 2022 at 10:36 PM Post #717 of 2,784

My comfortable peak is 11/12 o'clock on high and 2/3 o'clock with low gain.

Unless I'm mistaken, this may indicate they may benefit from higher power amps.

They sound inf*cking credible 😍20220106_131421.jpg
I don't fully get how all this works. Pogrok mentioned turning down phone volume and turning up amp volume to maximize output and therefore drive them better and I've done that. No sure I can tell the difference but it seems like maybe it's better? But for computers, someone else mentioned thet lower volume equals reduced bit rate in windows. Am I missing something in the equation?

Jan 5, 2022 at 11:02 PM Post #718 of 2,784
I don't fully get how all this works. Pogrok mentioned turning down phone volume and turning up amp volume to maximize output and therefore drive them better and I've done that. No sure I can tell the difference but it seems like maybe it's better? But for computers, someone else mentioned thet lower volume equals reduced bit rate in windows. Am I missing something in the equation?
Not entirely sure, will leave it to the veteran's to answer.

Forgot to mention, my Windows volume is set to 100%
Might try lowering my windows volume and pushing the amp even further.. Will wait to see if anyone has an opinion on this.

Jan 5, 2022 at 11:29 PM Post #719 of 2,784
reckon you'll love them.
I'm sure I will, really enjoyed the Ananda and the XS seem to be just as good if not a step more towards my flavor. I'll have my order in on Friday the latest

Jan 6, 2022 at 12:35 AM Post #720 of 2,784
Not entirely sure, will leave it to the veteran's to answer.

Forgot to mention, my Windows volume is set to 100%
Might try lowering my windows volume and pushing the amp even further.. Will wait to see if anyone has an opinion on this.
A passive preamp like the Nobsound NS-05p for about $40 (might have to search but usually ebay has them for $40) would allow you to drop the signal volume without losing bitrate from lowering windows volume or SINAD from lowering your DAC volume and crank your amp up as high as you want until the noise floor becomes a problem. I use one in my every day chain and I wouldn't ever get rid of it unless it was for a nicer passive preamp, I literally see it as essential. And it works as a handy switch and a converter from unbalanced RCA to XLR or vice versa.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back