Hifiman Edition XS Launched
Apr 7, 2024 at 7:51 PM Post #2,776 of 2,784
I agree with your sentiments. Lately, the pinnacle of my listening experience is a simple set-up: My Edition XS and Shanling M6 Pro 21 in turbo mode using balanced 4.4mm with a pure copper cable. Any type of music, from Ralph Towner to Night Verses to Hania Rani, to Ton Koopman's Amsterdam Baroque, etc., etc., sounds pleasing and you can just get lost in the music.

Sure, maybe Melody Gardot's voice sounds a little more up in the mix with my 58X's or 6XX's but the XS just does everything well and balanced for me, and has that thing that you want to put them on first for just about all types of music (at least in my lineup). Having those big transducers doesn't hurt either, sort of like wearing ear speakers!
For sure brother. I have to say that I personally consider I have no experience with high end headphones, but also, while I'm ignorant (not in a bad manner) about nuances of sound I never heard, I know there's lots more along the way.

But yes, I am very fulfilled at the moment with the XS, and I feel I myself never searched for higher quality, but that at that price, by accident, It came to me.
One of my tenets in life (for real), is not to rush things, not to jump ahead you see, "what matter's the journey", so I will take a slow aproach to sound quality, and enjoy every step, though I can alteady see myself spending a couple Ks on some headphones years ahead (maybe).

Its cool you metion the HD58x, because yes, I really love how it sounds too. I read all over that it's basically the 660s, but far from it, I personally hear the 58x as a much more pleasant headphone, it has more body than the 660s, more bass, more presence. I really cannot understand the 660s, it makes my head hurts and I cant put my finger on as to why.

But yeah, the Edition XS to me is just on another lv in all fronts, it's just a joy, another class, and that it came cheaper than the 660s and Byer 1990 pro is amazing. The 58x does punch above it's weight for price I feel, as I paid 160 for it.

Cheers brother, happy listening.

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2024 at 8:32 AM Post #2,777 of 2,784
I broke down and snagged a refurb model from Hifiman directly with a coupon code. $260 seemed like a good enough deal. The only concern I have is with the QC and, subsequently, the QC of their refurbs. I've had really good luck with high-end lens refurbs from Canon, the QC is usually pretty intense on refurbs to assure they are in working order.

How do I verify that everything is "normal" without any reference point for how a production Edition XS should sound? I'm running them with a Modi/Magni stack, and at the highest ends of the gain knob I can hear some static that had me worried there was something wrong, but that only seems to happen beyond the limits of where I would listen. The channel balance seems correct, it's really just a concern with that hissing at the very loud end.

Anyone have a good litmus test to make sure they are working great before I pitch the packaging and accept the set?

Apr 27, 2024 at 3:54 PM Post #2,778 of 2,784
Anyone ever compare Edition XX to Edition XS? If so, how close are they to each other?

Apr 30, 2024 at 2:38 PM Post #2,779 of 2,784
hmm i think i already asked here before but kinda forget about it again, but is there a tear down guide for the headband? what screw you used for the bolt that connect the cup & headband?

also does the hifiman enhanced comfort headband (the one that $75 on hifiman store) works on XS? its looks similar with arya headband

Apr 30, 2024 at 7:00 PM Post #2,781 of 2,784
I have owned both XS and Sundara, and in my opinion the Sundara with EQ is the best headphone Hifiman has made
My list of better HFM headphones:

Susvara
HEK Stealth, SE, v2, v1
HE-6 6 screw, SE, SE v2 (never heard 4 screw)
HEX v2
Arya 1, 2, Stealth
Ananda Stealth

15 - All of those more $, but you did say best.

The Sundara is very good for the $. But if you like a big stage, the XS and Ananda Stealth wins (XX and HEX v1 too)

Depending on what one likes the 560's, 5XX, 5 SE, 400's could be ranked above/lower/even

Apr 30, 2024 at 7:10 PM Post #2,782 of 2,784
Anyone ever compare Edition XX to Edition XS? If so, how close are they to each other?
Not near the same time - but by memory the XX was easily beaten by the HEX v2 in a number of ways - from listenability to detail. The XS is EQ'd to fit most peoples tastes a bit better than the v2 (too mid focused) of XX. The one chirp I have with the XS is the headband is awful. The XX is also getting to be fairly old now, and it was not built as well as the HEX v2, and I sold my HEX v2 last year because the fake leather was starting to peel and the XS has crushed the resale. The XS is a bit more bass forward then the v2 as well. But the v2 has the best treble of the 3 easily - but needs a bit of PEQ because it is a bit down compared to the mids. But the def/detail is excellent.

Hope it helps.

May 1, 2024 at 8:31 AM Post #2,783 of 2,784
hmm i think i already asked here before but kinda forget about it again, but is there a tear down guide for the headband? what screw you used for the bolt that connect the cup & headband?

also does the hifiman enhanced comfort headband (the one that $75 on hifiman store) works on XS? its looks similar with arya headband
The metal yokes are connected to the cups by means of barrel bolts and nuts, similar to these:

1714566258416.png

You can not open them and not break them! they have glue in the threads to lock them in, virtually impossible to undo.
So forget that.
The other end of the yokes have been inserted into the headband, they have a catch not to slide out. The side connector is slid on, but with very careful persuasion, the cover can be unlatched, but be careful, the little bits can just fall out.
Since the yokes don't come off, the notion of putting another headband is . . . .

May 2, 2024 at 7:59 AM Post #2,784 of 2,784
I have owned both XS and Sundara, and in my opinion the Sundara with EQ is the best headphone Hifiman has made
I believe you have owned Arya Stealth in the past. Still think the Sundara is better?

I have to admit, I took a long "break" from obsessing about headphones the last several months and have been just enjoying what I have and listening/gaming without thinking about it too much. One of those phases where I'm not listening to the headphones per se and nitpicking differences, more just enjoying whatever content I'm consuming.

I've found myself just reaching for the Edition XS almost every time lately. The fit is just loose and comfortable for me, never have to think about adjustment. The soundstage is wide, tuning is great- punchy enough to be fun while also being tame, and the overall sound is just comfortable while also being impressive when needed. Especially with games, I just feel like I'm in the game world.

I got wrapped up in the Hifiman rabbit hole the last year or so, and then always comparing to my stable of Sennheiser headphones. But man, I really can just sit back and enjoy the XS and not really worry about much. It does everything so well, and again the loose fit just and huge cups just make them relaxing to use for me. Perhaps my favorite headphone right now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back