Hifiman Edition XS Launched
Mar 1, 2024 at 6:46 AM Post #2,761 of 2,784
Have the distortion measurements been replicated?
dist-l-percent-xs.png

They are the only thing keeping me from buying these headphones.
https://www.rtings.com/headphones/1...-harmonic-distortion/hifiman-edition-xs/29106
Hi guys! Has anyone seen a CSD plots of XS?
https://diyaudioheaven.wordpress.com/headphones/measurements/hifiman/edition-xs-2023/

Mar 1, 2024 at 8:53 AM Post #2,762 of 2,784

I can't really comment on the score, because I don't fully understand their "weighted" methodology. The score seems good in isolation, but if you open the comparative table, you see that don't even crack the top 250. Which seems really, really bad.

I'm mostly after soundstage and lack of distortion, and my AKGs 702 score 256 positions above at distortion and 14 below at soundstage. Whereas the HE400se, which I also own, score 13 positions below at soundstage but 177 positions above at distortion.

The XS seem so nice, but I don't think I feel comfortable buying them when I already have the 702 and the HE400se, which are both very good once equalized.

I may way to learn more about the new Aune for soundstage.

Mar 1, 2024 at 5:12 PM Post #2,763 of 2,784
Love how The Headphone Show just blasted the FT5 on youtube and called it an utter failure. I returned my Ananda Stealth V3s for them a few weeks back, but I'm going to try the XS and see how they compare. Turns out my APO/Peace wasn't working properly when I had the XS the first time around, and I fixed it for the FT5. I want to do a proper comparison.

So the XS came in today, and I have to be honest, I think I still prefer the FT5. I like a warmer, richer sound, and the FT5 really sing in that area. Tested it with a few of my go-to test tracks (Dire Straits - Sultans of Swing, Black Crowes Tiny Desk Concert, Chris Cornell - Nothing Compares 2 U, plus a few others) and the FT5 just sounds fuller than the XS, especially when EQed with Oratory's settings. I'm going to have to compare these over the next week to figure out which I'm going to keep and which I'm sending back.

Mar 11, 2024 at 11:48 PM Post #2,765 of 2,784
Im looking to purchase these exclusively for listening to live music/orchestra how do they perform vs the more expensive arya stealth?? Is it worth spending extra or do they end up sounding too similar anyway after eq?? Thanks
You should look into the HE1000 if you plan for orchestra. The details and open sound stage is what you’d want. The XS and Arya are too intimate for orchestra. But if money is a problem the XS is a good option.

Mar 12, 2024 at 4:01 AM Post #2,766 of 2,784
You should look into the HE1000 if you plan for orchestra. The details and open sound stage is what you’d want. The XS and Arya are too intimate for orchestra. But if money is a problem the XS is a good option.
hey thanks for the suggestion. I actually owned the he1000 v4 stealth ver. in the past Unfortunately mine developed driver issue not to mention the highs are intolerable so i ended up retuning them. Also the staging did not impress me at all. At this point i just aim for 800s to complement my e3. Thanks again

Mar 12, 2024 at 10:40 AM Post #2,767 of 2,784
mine developed driver issue
Was it a kind of buzz? I'm asking because I got this in Deva and then in XS both after about a year and ordered a replacement from the seller

Mar 12, 2024 at 4:06 PM Post #2,768 of 2,784
no the left driver somehow sounded lower then the right one so the vocal was more present on that side. It all happened out of nowhere never dropped etc. I could adjust channel balance in windows but i dont wanna do that for a 1300usd heaphones like i did for the sundara before

Mar 12, 2024 at 9:32 PM Post #2,769 of 2,784
no the left driver somehow sounded lower then the right one so the vocal was more present on that side. It all happened out of nowhere never dropped etc. I could adjust channel balance in windows but i dont wanna do that for a 1300usd heaphones like i did for the sundara before
Your harsh high is a source problem. But yea driver failure is a known problem with HiFiman’s headphones. I got my MJ3 and my HEK stealth is doing amazingly well. If the upper is still harsh for certain songs I just preamp it with my Lyr tube amp.

Mar 13, 2024 at 2:59 PM Post #2,770 of 2,784
Your harsh high is a source problem. But yea driver failure is a known problem with HiFiman’s headphones. I got my MJ3 and my HEK stealth is doing amazingly well. If the upper is still harsh for certain songs I just preamp it with my Lyr tube amp.
The HEK Stealth is hot between 5.5-7.5k - centered around 6.2k, and its bothersome to me, but not the fellow that owns it. It's also elevated over 12.5k, but as an old guy that doesn't bother me.

I agree that a cheap DAC or overly bright amp would be a bad match.

Still as I said previously, it's destined to be a classic. Add a minor bass shelf, raise the 1.8k area, and douse the 6.2k area - which is actually less than a lot of headphones need in terms of adjustment. It's the best headphone at that price new I know. It's a substantial cut above the lower priced HFM with the Arya Stealth being closest but its still a bit aggressive and doesn't have the staging for a full blown orchestra as another poster opined. It doesn't stage as well as an 800S, but the 800S needs EQ and doesn't sing w/o a lot of current. The HEK Stealth will be very good with a more modest priced SS amp, and it swaggers with rock and other modern music better than an 800S.

Mar 14, 2024 at 2:32 AM Post #2,771 of 2,784
I always thought amps strict function was to make the sound coming from headphones louder. Personally ive been very happy w my toppings L70 and never felt like the sound i get is lacking. I mean its powering the e3 just fine and its considered by many as "hard to drive." Anyway for sure ill check out other more high end amps to satisfy my curiosity as well

Mar 15, 2024 at 10:41 PM Post #2,772 of 2,784
I always thought amps strict function was to make the sound coming from headphones louder. Personally ive been very happy w my toppings L70 and never felt like the sound i get is lacking. I mean its powering the e3 just fine and it’s considered by many as "hard to drive." Anyway for sure ill check out other more high end amps to satisfy my curiosity as well
I thought just like you when I got my Jotunheim 2. Then I got the MJ3 and upgraded my DAC, wow such a big difference.

Now, I just bought the Flux Mentor. It’s around 1.4K usd from Ukraine. But dang it’s amazing even more detailed than the MJ3. At the higher end, amps don’t just increase the sound. It improve clarity, gives you a sensation of a soundstage, improves bass rumble, and smooth out the treble. People pay big money for those experiences.

Mar 22, 2024 at 1:41 AM Post #2,773 of 2,784
This is gonna seem weird but if someone has a broken pair I'll buy it off ya. Just need good condition headband/housing

Apr 7, 2024 at 3:09 AM Post #2,774 of 2,784
Sorry for my bad English. This is my first post on the Forum.

Occasionally I stumbled upon the reviews and discussion here while deciding to pick some headphones up. I'm not super into the more in depth and technical of it all, so I never made an account, and over the years I acquired some headphones, mostly from reading here honestly, those being the Sennheiser HD58x, HD600, HD660s, Byer DT 700 pro, Byer 1990 pro, Akg K240 and finally the Akg K712 pro.

I just want to share my experience, and sense of performance and value with his particular one.

I mentioned all my headphones because you can see the theme of price there, all ranging on the "around or less than" 500 Euros (I'm in western Europe). It's a funny thing because I don't really mind that much the sound quality of things; while I have those different headphones, it took me many years to acquire them.

I feel that with this one, the Hifiman Edition XS, the value proposition really made a clear big jump, and I'm sure its not just this one nowadays. I will not sing endless praises to it, but I got admit this is something else when compared to any of the others I have. I understand that comes with being a planar driver, but I sent a Sundara back some months ago when I decided to dip in the planar "sound" that people say, and I'm still not sure what it really means, and that's when I acquired the Byer DT1990 pro, it sounded better to my ears, and I know it might be controversial to prefer a non planar over a planar or something.

The thing is I payed 352 Euros for the XS, plus 80 in tax, new from Thomann.de (popular store here in the EU), with an extended 3 years warranty (they have it on all their products).
I think the value propostition here just changed, since when compared to my other favorites, those being the Byer 1990 pro and Akg K712, this is something else entirely. When it comes to the Sennheisers its the same thing, and I always prefered the AKG sound above all others, in fact I prefer the AKG K240 over the HD 660s for instance, and I payed only 70 for the Akg, versus 400 in the Sennheiser, and I must say I can't make sense of the HD 660s to this day.

Now, I got this one for 352 Euros and wasn't expecting much, but I gotta say its just levels of magnitude above those headphones in all senses. To me, even in how beautiful the vocals sound, its beats the Sens, and beats the AKGs in soundstange, not to mention how articulate they sound, again, they sound so beautiful and engaging and punchy, it's like the sound of everything stays reverberating, far from me, above and bellow, far and close, it's just madness, but it sounds beautiful.
That's the word, beautiful, considering the price.

I just buy these things (until now at least) to have my moments of enjoyment, I'm retired (though can't say I'm old, had to, and had the priviledge to retire early in life) and like to sit with my pipe on the balcony or just outside and enjoy my favorite albuns or lists and this has been a shocking experience to me, it's like all the things I read about sound over the years that mostly sounded like a bit of nonsense to me, now made total sense.

I will mention the Fiio FT5, which was mentioned here before, which was what I was going to get, but it was gonna come above what I felt confortable paying (considering tax), and I understand that 352 is a promotional price for the Hifiman. I have only 3 amps, and 2 are from Fiio, that's why I was gonna get the FT5, I also have a portable player from them, and It's what I use when I sit outside, and I always felt total quality from their products.

It's a steal at promotional price of less than 400 I think, no doubt. Of course, I consider my inexperience with these things, but damn, this sounds beautiful guys, its incredible, and that it costed me less than the Sen 660s is eye opening, given that's the most expensive Sen I have, and argubly (to me at least), the worst (tryed changing pads, tryed eq, and just cannot enjoy that headphone, it's the black sheep of my tiny collection).
Thanks all, and more so to those who read, I'm not one to go full enthusiasm with these things, again, in fact, while I enjoyed some differences, I wasn't really giving it much attention, but when I put the XS on my head, all that nuance in sound, the opennes, the articulation, the punch, and overall how beautiful everything sounded, shocked me to my bone (hope this doesn't sound overly dramatic).

I will finish by saying that, while I aware I'm not in the position to fully recommend a headphone to anyone, my experience with this one has been so amazing, peaceful and engaging.
I will describe: I sit outside when my life long partner is busy with business, I bring with me my pipe, my old latvia vintage tobbaco and a cigar (for if it comes to that level of pleasure), and a dose (or two) of whisky, and a few hours pass of extreme joy and peace of mind, and these headphones, which are nothing but a gadget to enjoy music, have brought me to levels of pleasure that are right there with the best I had in life, and trust me, I've been around.

Thanks to all in this forum whom shared their views and experience.

Last edited:
Apr 7, 2024 at 8:52 AM Post #2,775 of 2,784
Sorry for my bad English. This is my first post on the Forum.

Occasionally I stumbled upon the reviews and discussion here while deciding to pick some headphones up. I'm not super into the more in depth and technical of it all, so I never made an account, and over the years I acquired some headphones, mostly from reading here honestly, those being the Sennheiser HD58x, HD600, HD660s, Byer DT 700 pro, Byer 1990 pro, Akg K240 and finally the Akg K712 pro.

I just want to share my experience, and sense of performance and value with his particular one.

I mentioned all my headphones because you can see the theme of price there, all ranging on the "around or less than" 500 Euros (I'm in western Europe). It's a funny thing because I don't really mind that much the sound quality of things; while I have those different headphones, it took me many years to acquire them.

I feel that with this one, the Hifiman Edition XS, the value proposition really made a clear big jump, and I'm sure its not just this one nowadays. I will not sing endless praises to it, but I got admit this is something else when compared to any of the others I have. I understand that comes with being a planar driver, but I sent a Sundara back some months ago when I decided to dip in the planar "sound" that people say, and I'm still not sure what it really means, and that's when I acquired the Byer DT1990 pro, it sounded better to my ears, and I know it might be controversial to prefer a non planar over a planar or something.

The thing is I payed 352 Euros for the XS, plus 80 in tax, new from Thomann.de (popular store here in the EU), with an extended 3 years warranty (they have it on all their products).
I think the value propostition here just changed, since when compared to my other favorites, those being the Byer 1990 pro and Akg K712, this is something else entirely. When it comes to the Sennheisers its the same thing, and I always prefered the AKG sound above all others, in fact I prefer the AKG K240 over the HD 660s for instance, and I payed only 70 for the Akg, versus 400 in the Sennheiser, and I must say I can't make sense of the HD 660s to this day.

Now, I got this one for 352 Euros and wasn't expecting much, but I gotta say its just levels of magnitude above those headphones in all senses. To me, even in how beautiful the vocals sound, its beats the Sens, and beats the AKGs in soundstange, not to mention how articulate they sound, again, they sound so beautiful and engaging and punchy, it's like the sound of everything stays reverberating, far from me, above and bellow, far and close, it's just madness, but it sounds beautiful.
That's the word, beautiful, considering the price.

I just buy these things (until now at least) to have my moments of enjoyment, I'm retired (though can't say I'm old, had to, and had the priviledge to retire early in life) and like to sit with my pipe on the balcony or just outside and enjoy my favorite albuns or lists and this has been a shocking experience to me, it's like all the things I read about sound over the years that mostly sounded like a bit of nonsense to me, now made total sense.

I will mention the Fiio FT5, which was mentioned here before, which was what I was going to get, but it was gonna come above what I felt confortable paying (considering tax), and I understand that 352 is a promotional price for the Hifiman. I have only 3 amps, and 2 are from Fiio, that's why I was gonna get the FT5, I also have a portable player from them, and It's what I use when I sit outside, and I always felt total quality from their products.

It's a steal at promotional price of less than 400 I think, no doubt. Of course, I consider my inexperience with these things, but damn, this sounds beautiful guys, its incredible, and that it costed me less than the Sen 660s is eye opening, given that's the most expensive Sen I have, and argubly (to me at least), the worst (tryed changing pads, tryed eq, and just cannot enjoy that headphone, it's the black sheep of my tiny collection).
Thanks all, and more so to those who read, I'm not one to go full enthusiasm with these things, again, in fact, while I enjoyed some differences, I wasn't really giving it much attention, but when I put the XS on my head, all that nuance in sound, the opennes, the articulation, the punch, and overall how beautiful everything sounded, shocked me to my bone (hope this doesn't sound overly dramatic).

I will finish by saying that, while I aware I'm not in the position to fully recommend a headphone to anyone, my experience with this one has been so amazing, peaceful and engaging.
I will describe: I sit outside when my life long partner is busy with business, I bring with me my pipe, my old latvia vintage tobbaco and a cigar (for if it comes to that level of pleasure), and a dose (or two) of whisky, and a few hours pass of extreme joy and peace of mind, and these headphones, which are nothing but a gadget to enjoy music, have brought me to levels of pleasure that are right there with the best I had in life, and trust me, I've been around.

Thanks to all in this forum whom shared their views and experience.
I agree with your sentiments. Lately, the pinnacle of my listening experience is a simple set-up: My Edition XS and Shanling M6 Pro 21 in turbo mode using balanced 4.4mm with a pure copper cable. Any type of music, from Ralph Towner to Night Verses to Hania Rani, to Ton Koopman's Amsterdam Baroque, etc., etc., sounds pleasing and you can just get lost in the music.

Sure, maybe Melody Gardot's voice sounds a little more up in the mix with my 58X's or 6XX's but the XS just does everything well and balanced for me, and has that thing that you want to put them on first for just about all types of music (at least in my lineup). Having those big transducers doesn't hurt either, sort of like wearing ear speakers!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back