Hifiman Edition XS Launched
Feb 8, 2024 at 1:20 PM Post #2,746 of 2,784
I apologise if my post sounded as though I was picking on your reply.
My post was a general post, addressing a school of thought/assumptions championed by many.
It goes something like these:
- PEQ cures a rainy day!
- With enough PEQ bands, setup precisely, any headphone can be cured and made to sound like any other.
- FR curves obtained from reputable outlets are accurate enough to conjure up accurate PEQ settings that would cure all.
These assumptions are just plain wrong scientifically, because:
- PEQ can help with broad tuning of a headphone, no more.
- Every sample of a particular headphone, make & model, is different slightly, and they change as time goes by. Enough to nullify a preset PEQ setting to fit every sample at any age or condition.
- Obtaining FR curves is an approximate endeavour, even using the best test rigs costing many tens of 1000s, handled by experts. The very same headphone sample can yield different results, when tested again and again. slight seating changes, small variations to the pads, shape of the ears used, etc . . . .
- Test rigs are dumb! on an FR test, they do not segregate, distortion or resonances from signal. these would show up as peaks and nulls. Of course a knowledgeable person, would also run distortion tests. Using the two together, he can tell which peak or null is due to what.
On a typical EDXS, I would suggest using a wide bandwidth (small Q) PEQ to correct the 1-3kHz deficiency, that's all.
Depending on individuals, wide bandwidth corrections can also be applied for taste, preferences.
The 4kHz+ and 12kHz peaks are distortions/resonances. By filtering out the music at these frequencies, one would not correct the problem.
Think about it, PEQ only affects the music output to the phones, nothing else.
Agree in general but not on the non FR issues.

I was an anti-EQ for decades - but after all my mods of the HE-500 was still short of satisfaction I tried PEQ. Obvious FR issues adjusted in a positive manner. But some issues remained. Areas where CSD charts showed the driver wasn't at rest (the mellower left overs of ringing) conformed to where I heard issues. Broad strokes for sure not called for. I've also mentioned in other places in HF that planars in particular over about 2.5k vary quite a bit sample to sample - so I'm talking my samples. Crinicle addresses these CSD issues somewhat if they are at FR spikes (lets leave out the fact that Cinicle is actually wrong in descrete places for this discussion). However, its not always the case.

Having realized a long time ago that at best playback can give a decent illusion of real live unamplified music, and my goal is accuracy/transparency/timbre w/o annoyance of amusical treble sharpness (been using estat/ribbon tweeters/speakers for decades because I perceieve them to have less cruft than domes, horns, etc.). So, let's say that a proper treble overtone level at 9k gets a value of 80 db in some given piece of music. Say my HE-500 has issues with 9k and the irritation/distortion it adds makes it an 84 db in my perception. I've done the fuzzor, pads, cables, rear screens, dynamat - so it's down to a 82, along with the other improvements. But its still not right.

Well I can't afford an Orpheus or a Corinna. Maybe I should put a piece of cloth in front of the driver like the OG HE-6 that covers 1/4 of the driver? PEQ in narrow bands at specific FR locations on my headphones mitigates the annoyance/brings the level down to ~80 db. I'm usually in the Q 7.5-9.0 range with 1.8-3.4 db - anymore and the music suffers. Any less - it's annoyance time again. Without those changes I would use them less. I ran hundreds of tests by ear to arrive at my settings. Purist? The question is does it bring me closer to the performers and the music. That answer is yes.

Feb 9, 2024 at 11:33 AM Post #2,747 of 2,784
Agree in general but not on the non FR issues.

I was an anti-EQ for decades - but after all my mods of the HE-500 was still short of satisfaction I tried PEQ. Obvious FR issues adjusted in a positive manner. But some issues remained. Areas where CSD charts showed the driver wasn't at rest (the mellower left overs of ringing) conformed to where I heard issues. Broad strokes for sure not called for. I've also mentioned in other places in HF that planars in particular over about 2.5k vary quite a bit sample to sample - so I'm talking my samples. Crinicle addresses these CSD issues somewhat if they are at FR spikes (lets leave out the fact that Cinicle is actually wrong in descrete places for this discussion). However, its not always the case.

Having realized a long time ago that at best playback can give a decent illusion of real live unamplified music, and my goal is accuracy/transparency/timbre w/o annoyance of amusical treble sharpness (been using estat/ribbon tweeters/speakers for decades because I perceieve them to have less cruft than domes, horns, etc.). So, let's say that a proper treble overtone level at 9k gets a value of 80 db in some given piece of music. Say my HE-500 has issues with 9k and the irritation/distortion it adds makes it an 84 db in my perception. I've done the fuzzor, pads, cables, rear screens, dynamat - so it's down to a 82, along with the other improvements. But its still not right.

Well I can't afford an Orpheus or a Corinna. Maybe I should put a piece of cloth in front of the driver like the OG HE-6 that covers 1/4 of the driver? PEQ in narrow bands at specific FR locations on my headphones mitigates the annoyance/brings the level down to ~80 db. I'm usually in the Q 7.5-9.0 range with 1.8-3.4 db - anymore and the music suffers. Any less - it's annoyance time again. Without those changes I would use them less. I ran hundreds of tests by ear to arrive at my settings. Purist? The question is does it bring me closer to the performers and the music. That answer is yes.
I am not against EQ.
It has its uses, but some apply a thick serving of it to cure all.:face_palm:
If used in a smart way, it is really useful.
However, it is mostly a means to tune to taste, rather than a precise instrument.
I hope you grasped what I was saying regarding, EQing the music in the (false) hope of addressing resonances and distortions.
Buy a pair a headphone, with the lowest distortion across the bandwidth, then you can EQ it, almost without penalty.
There are such headphones about:
- Audeze drivers are really low distortion. The LCD-X and XC @ $1300, can be EQed to taste.
- Dan Clark drivers too, are low distortion but the good ones are pricier. The new E3 @ $2000 is good too.
To use smart EQing, just look at the distortion & resonance graph of a particular headphone, and leave those areas alone, but do EQ to taste other areas.
Lastly, don't even assume, that EQ is an exact science.

Feb 9, 2024 at 3:13 PM Post #2,748 of 2,784
I am not against EQ.
It has its uses, but some apply a thick serving of it to cure all.:face_palm:
If used in a smart way, it is really useful.
However, it is mostly a means to tune to taste, rather than a precise instrument.
I hope you grasped what I was saying regarding, EQing the music in the (false) hope of addressing resonances and distortions.
Buy a pair a headphone, with the lowest distortion across the bandwidth, then you can EQ it, almost without penalty.
There are such headphones about:
- Audeze drivers are really low distortion. The LCD-X and XC @ $1300, can be EQed to taste.
The XC 2021 are nice
- Dan Clark drivers too, are low distortion but the good ones are pricier. The new E3 @ $2000 is good too.
Big fan of DCA's - probably my favorite brand. E3 highly interesting - but I'm waiting for an open version of the E3 before I listen/act.
To use smart EQing, just look at the distortion & resonance graph of a particular headphone, and leave those areas alone, but do EQ to taste other areas.
Not viable for me - in the least.
Lastly, don't even assume, that EQ is an exact science.
Never did. But since it is not science - it must at least be partially an art. Given all my experience with designing/altering listening rooms, modifying electronics and transducers, kit building, and listening - audio as an amalgam of engineering and art has been manifest to me for a long time.

Last edited:
Feb 13, 2024 at 10:14 AM Post #2,750 of 2,784
Just picked up a pair of these open box for about $220 over the weekend :o2smile: time to start reading through this whole thread while I wait for them to show up! Will be my first Hifiman experience.
That's an astonishingly great deal. Congratulations 👍

Feb 13, 2024 at 10:18 AM Post #2,751 of 2,784
Hi everybody - I have done a couple of comparison write-ups and would like to share them here, maybe someone will find them interesting

Hifiman Edition XS vs FiiO FT3

https://www.headphoneer.com/fiio-ft3-vs-hifiman-edition-xs-comparison-review/

Hifiman Edition XS vs FOCAL ELEX/Elear

https://www.headphoneer.com/hifiman...fenestrated-sheepskin-pads-comparison-review/

wp-1707060838197-1140x1013.jpg

wp-1707745991822.jpg

Feb 21, 2024 at 11:30 PM Post #2,752 of 2,784
Hi folks, now that the Fiio FT5 on the radar, what do you think, at the same price bracket, could it be the new king of this under 500$ open planar category or the XS dominate still? I know different sound characteristics, but maybe the Fiio with the suede pads comperable enough.
The Fiio FT5 is a shocker, tonally and in terms of detail retrieval at the price.

The new $500 king if you're prepared to EQ is the Ananda Nano, albeit its MSRP is $599, so that's more a sale/open box/refurb effort to get to sub-$500.

Feb 23, 2024 at 6:59 PM Post #2,753 of 2,784
Does anyone know if there is a Geekria knit headband cover that fits the XS? Or something similar?

Feb 24, 2024 at 7:27 AM Post #2,755 of 2,784
Maybe this will fit?

1000012254.jpg
Thank you! Worth a try and will report back.

I find I just want a little bit more cushion and length on the headband adjustment. I have the Geekria large hook & loop and I find it too bulky, so perhaps this will work better.

Feb 24, 2024 at 11:50 AM Post #2,757 of 2,784
Thank you! Worth a try and will report back.

I find I just want a little bit more cushion and length on the headband adjustment. I have the Geekria large hook & loop and I find it too bulky, so perhaps this will work better.

I have it myself for the TH-900 headband and it fits perfectly.

I have the black

1000012298.jpg

Feb 29, 2024 at 6:43 PM Post #2,759 of 2,784
The Fiio FT5 is a shocker, tonally and in terms of detail retrieval at the price.

The new $500 king if you're prepared to EQ is the Ananda Nano, albeit its MSRP is $599, so that's more a sale/open box/refurb effort to get to sub-$500.
Love how The Headphone Show just blasted the FT5 on youtube and called it an utter failure. I returned my Ananda Stealth V3s for them a few weeks back, but I'm going to try the XS and see how they compare. Turns out my APO/Peace wasn't working properly when I had the XS the first time around, and I fixed it for the FT5. I want to do a proper comparison.

Mar 1, 2024 at 4:46 AM Post #2,760 of 2,784
Hi guys! Has anyone seen a CSD plots of XS?

Update: found some here

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back