Hifiman Edition XS Launched
Nov 4, 2021 at 9:21 AM Post #62 of 2,788
Here is the thing about Asian listeners and Asian Headphone builders.
If you study the history of headphones created for the Asian market you find that the audiophile engineers and listeners early on adopted TREBLE as how they rate a good headphone.
This is why the best audiophile headphones that come out of Japan or Asia in general are tuned BRIGHT.

All the AudioTech expensive headphones are bright and do not cater to the bass response.
All the SONY headphones that are expensive, are bright, and do not cater to the bass response.
Fang's best stuff is always a bit treble - centric. The Hifiman is basically the Anti-Audeze and vice versa.

The USA market likes BASS, and the critical listening audiophile USA community likes "natural-neutral" and "balanced" and "resolving".

Hifiman headphones can punish you with their upper FR, ... as anyone knows who tries to listen to badly recorded lossy sound files using a Hifiman .
Audeze Headphones, not so much, as they are not dedicated to the upper FR as much, so, that is where the pain is found..

The XS, competes with the HE1000s, easily, but, once again, its a Fang design, and he had dialed the XS in with the traditional HE1000 approach to sonics which means you are getting crazy clarity, a touch of bright, and unique soundstage, while the bass response is very good.

For example, the Audeze LCD- MX4, is a great headphone, but compared to the XS, it will sound veiled, fuzzy, and FLAT.....yet, its a very very good headphone.....
I guess the HE-6 was an oddity. I agree overall with what you say. My way of toning down HFM treble is locate ringing and regardless of FR readings in the same or adjacent areas - treat ringing first. Fuzzor mod, no screen, cables, pads, and an analog DAC are other ways I use to tune the treble. I think I have my 500 and 6sev1 tuned just about right - what a treat. Bringing in some other ears soon to opine.

Nov 4, 2021 at 9:40 AM Post #63 of 2,788
Very interested in the XS. Seems like more and more products are starting to deliver extremely good sound quality for very low prices. The first headphone I heard that did this for me personally was the Avantone Planar, now here comes the Hifiman Edition XS. I'll wait for more impressions and reviews. But so far @FullBright1 I trust your impressions, you were spot on with the Avantone Planar and Ultrasone Edition 11. And quick suggestion, for the headband, Dekoni Nuggets could be an option to improve comfort?

Been reading impressions on facebook, a few people have been saying it's a Stealth Ananda. Right inbetween a Ananda and Arya. Same detail of the Arya but a more fuller and forward sound similar to the Ananda but fuller if that makes sense. If so, this is impressive especially for the price and many companies better learn from this. Stop overpricing gear 😂.

Last edited:
Nov 4, 2021 at 10:43 AM Post #64 of 2,788
Very interested in the XS. Seems like more and more products are starting to deliver extremely good sound quality for very low prices. The first headphone I heard that did this for me personally was the Avantone Planar, now here comes the Hifiman Edition XS. I'll wait for more impressions and reviews. But so far @FullBright1 I trust your impressions, you were spot on with the Avantone Planar and Ultrasone Edition 11. And quick suggestion, for the headband, Dekoni Nuggets could be an option to improve comfort?

Been reading impressions on facebook, a few people have been saying it's a Stealth Ananda. Right inbetween a Ananda and Arya. Same detail of the Arya but a more fuller and forward sound similar to the Ananda but fuller if that makes sense. If so, this is impressive especially for the price and many companies better learn from this. Stop overpricing gear 😂.
We're so used to overpriced audio gear, everyone is amazed when something good comes out for a fair price. I guess there's so much competition in the headphone market now, that prices are bound to start coming down to earth.

Nov 4, 2021 at 6:37 PM Post #65 of 2,788
What are you listening to them out of? Some balanced amps can be poorly designed with respect to single-ended output, and that's likely the difference you're experiencing running balanced, rather than the very small measured boost from EM shielding when both are properly implemented.

But back to the comparison: is this the 2020 Sundara you're comparing? How do they hold up in terms of tonal balance?

Mostly im using a FiiO K9 Pro and a Meridian Headphone Amplifier with the E-XS.

As the ad says on Headphones.com. describing the Sundara...

"premium entry level sound".

And that is true. And the recent HE400SE is also entry level.......and its very decent.

However, the XS, is created from the HE1000 Linage, so, that is a different class.

So, as i stated in the mini review, the E-XS is typical Hifiman goodness. Its all about the details and the presentation.
Hifiman, unlike Audeze, is not going to give you thick midrange or boosted low mids.
Hifiman is sort of a : "make the Treble and the Soundstage and the instrument separation the Star of the show, then trickle down the rest of the FR"
I like the Audeze sound and i like the Hifiman sound. I also like Dan Clark Audio sound. I like the Rosson Rad-O sound. I like the Shure HD800S sound. I like the Denon D9200 sound. I like the Dharma D-1000 sound. I own a lot of headphones, and have owned way too many some would say, but i say......"why not".
I know when i buy a "new" Hifiman, im going to get a lot of Treble, and some brightness, and some micro detail excellence.
Expect the E-XS to sound like a Hifiman and you'll not be disappointed. In fact, it sounds like a good one.

---

Last edited:
Nov 4, 2021 at 6:44 PM Post #66 of 2,788
Что вы можете сказать, если сравниваете их с Анандой? А что лучше взять, цена на них примерно одинаковая, Ананда или Edition xs?

What can you tell if you compare them to Ananda? And which is better to take, the price for them is about the same, Ananda or Edition xs?

No contest to my ears.
I owned the Ananda 2x, and i can't listen to it for long periods. It has some planar dryness and glare that just offends my ears.
It sounds nothing like the Edition XS or the Edition X and V2.

You understand the terms "clinical", "analytical", ...
Well the E-XS is more of that then the Ananda, yet, it has a pleasing musicality also.

Nov 4, 2021 at 6:54 PM Post #67 of 2,788
Be careful, you should try both, I prefer Sundara to HE1000 v2 : Sundara is just more engaging, coherent and musical, yes HE1000 v2 is impressive on technical points but music enjoyment is more than that.
Absolutely.

I think that, and as i stated in the mini review.......the people like you who have owned the HE1000V2 and HEKSE, and found them to be sonic microprocessors and not very musically involving, might find that the E-XS offers a lot of that detail retrieval, but also has a captivating sound.
I listened to them yesterday, out of the box, from 9:45am, till about 7:30p.
I took a break, a few.....including to photograph them for the review and to write the review, and to rest my ears.
I never felt during that time.....>"ok, let me hear something else".

The E-XS is going to give a lot of newbie audiophiles a unique experience, and it'll give us who own everything and have heard it all, a moment to smile and be grateful that $450 can buy you this much SQ.
Its not perfect, but it sounds good.

Last edited:
Nov 4, 2021 at 6:58 PM Post #68 of 2,788
I've read much about the balanced cable requirment, could you suggest a certain brand/option you'd reccommend?

Thanks again.

Well, its a $450 headphone(s) so, no need to spend $1400 on a cable.
The SE cable provided by Hifiman is good.....Its somewhat janky, but, it'll do.

Amazon.com. sells a lot of good balanced cables that are affordable....

If you want to spend $150, then here is my favorite. It is warm, detailed, and feels good in your hands. (Its a 4.4)
-
Bal cable.png

Last edited:
Nov 5, 2021 at 5:33 AM Post #69 of 2,788
Wow a lot of info most of you have put here so I'll just throw in my chump change; I've got the 400i, 4XX and the M1060Cs.

This is the first eggohifiman I've owned.

Edition XS 2.jpeg

HIFIMAN EDITION XS

(These still are initial impressions):

HIFIMAN EDITION XS
[Impressions]

BUILD AND COMFORT:

Build quality is fine. Cups are plastic, they look okay, probably help keep the weight or the costs down, so I can understand the choice.

Good to see a more flexible swivel mechanism. It can be a bit flimsy, as a bit freely rotating a bit free shaking, but not too bad. Feels good to see the notched stepped cups extension slider. And this doesn't seem like the cheaper, scratchy implementation on the Sundaras.

The newer headband is well padded, and although a bit firm, it contours nicely with the head.

Weight distribution is good. Comfort could be just a tad bit better.

- EARPADS: Some misses on comfort could be because of the pads as they're a bit firm, and the fabric material on the pads that touch your ears/face may interact with facial hair. It gets a bit off after sometimes, so I've also ordered sheepskin earpads for these.

The cable is average - it's the same cable as the one with the HE-4XX. No great, but not terrible.

The yokes and the grills are the visible metal parts.

Drivers: dual-sided stealth magnets with yet, an even thinner diaphragm <<< (according to Hifiman).

SOUND:

Overall sound signature: I find them quite balanced. Passive damping is very good - can hear everything outside when not playing, which adds to a natural, speaker-like presentation to the sound. Non-fatiguing, laid back listening with nuances ever so pronounced. I'd say, a V tending towards a U curve, something like that - if that means anything.

Soundstage: As with most Hifimans, and better than the 4X0 series cans - the soundstage is good, with the vocals often taking the center spot. The soundstage, though not being huge, is quite big and tall as well as wide.

Mids: The mids are good - soft, relaxed sound overall with really inoffensive vocal delivery - not the best mids, but quite natural (to me) at that - I like the whole package. They're a bit laid back, but never too extreme at any point - almost never.

Treble: the treble extended - may get a bit hot, but nothing to seriously worry about. There's always a bit of a shine up there in Hifimans, but I don't find it too bothersome.

Bass: The bass and sub-bass regions are well textured and extended, and though not super punchy or dynamic, still present and satisfying. An owner suggests they go down to 10Hz, but I'm feeling more like 20Hz here. Still, with such large diaphragms, a wall of sound would be safe choice of words, and that translates most definitively in the lower frequencies.

Definition: How the highs are delivered definitely makes them rich and detailed - the airiness and definition is sound is there, well textured in the upper ranges - like I mentioned, the nuances are quite there in that region. They're not crazy detailed, but enough to spot out the ambient sounds in orchestral recordings.

Airiness: Definitely airy, and that really increases the scale of the sound - the headphones do attempt often to be forgotten and add immersion to it.

Imaging: Imaging is one of the stronger points here - I feel quite stellar. Top, bottom and wide, imaging is definitely attempting to be precise here or at least closer, with distinction and layers there.

Presentation: The L/R separation is quite nice and more than my other cans. This is the second of third pair of headphones that gives me the feeling of bookshelf speakers when I'm listening to them - the other two being the EMU Teak (open back modded) and the Focal Elex. I adore this kind of presentation where one can easily settle for headphones instead at those moments, and one doesn't miss their speakers as much. How I perceive this is from low damping and more pronounced dynamics, both of which I can find in the Edition XS.

Music I listen to: Electronic (Trance, Deephouse, DNB, Trap etc.), occasional Orchestral, Jazz, OSTs etc. Preferably music with good bass and sub-bass.

WRAPPING UP:

At the price, it's definitely a step up from the 4X0 series and a reminiscent of the Edition X sound to me (which I adore).

It hits the final nail on my planar collection really well (400i, 4xx, Monolith M1060C) and I can say that it's the best of my bunch. I do have a Focal Elex, Senn H6XXs, EMU Teaks and other [inferior per me] cans. I can say the Edition XS sound thick and laid back (what I like about the EMU Teaks), and more open and airy than the Focal Elex, with an even better soundstage than the Focals (many know the Focals are a bit shy there). I don't have the Focals with me at the moment (those were my previous endgame headphones), but it the Edition XS really complement them, and are ahead of them in a lot, except maybe in dynamics. These are my personal end-game with the Focal Elex giving me a complimenting flavor.

I am very happy with them - but this may or may not apply to you, as I have not heard the Ananda or the Arya or the Edition X V2 or any others up the line, so I can't quite comment how this would sound for an owner of either of those previous ones. But these probably may be mid-tier endgame for a some folks.

A couple of us early buyers are giving out there impressions (you can check hifi-guides etc.) and so far, we're all a happy little bunch - just sayin...

For the price, the range of Hifiman's egg-shaped headphones cult has now been made even more accessible to the masses, and it's a welcoming move! I can finally sleep well!

Last edited:
Nov 5, 2021 at 7:30 AM Post #70 of 2,788
Parts photos (for modders):
photo_2021-11-04_15-28-39.jpg

Attachments

• photo_2021-11-04_15-28-37.jpg
    photo_2021-11-04_15-28-37.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 0
  • photo_2021-11-04_15-28-37 (2).jpg
    photo_2021-11-04_15-28-37 (2).jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 0
  • photo_2021-11-04_15-28-27.jpg
    photo_2021-11-04_15-28-27.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 0
  • photo_2021-11-04_15-28-27 (2).jpg
    photo_2021-11-04_15-28-27 (2).jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 0
  • photo_2021-11-04_15-28-25.jpg
    photo_2021-11-04_15-28-25.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 0
  • photo_2021-11-04_15-28-22.jpg
    photo_2021-11-04_15-28-22.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 0
  • photo_2021-11-04_15-28-17.jpg
    photo_2021-11-04_15-28-17.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 0
Nov 5, 2021 at 10:50 AM Post #71 of 2,788
It hits the final nail on my planar collection really well (400i, 4xx, Monolith M1060C) and I can say that it's the best of my bunch.

Exactly.

So, that is 3 of us who have the gear and are impressed by it and have talked about it on this Thread.

I personally like it better then the Hifiman 1000, the 1000 V2, or the HEKSE, and they are all very very good headphones.

Eventually, someone will get it, (who is an Audeze fanboy) and will tell us why they hate it, and how much they hate it, and they will then sell it, and a Hifiman lover will get it for less in the Classified section.

So, its all good.

Nov 5, 2021 at 10:56 AM Post #72 of 2,788
Exactly.

So, that is 3 of us who have the gear and are impressed by it and have talked about it on this Thread.

I personally like it better then the Hifiman 1000, the 1000 V2, or the HEKSE, and they are all very very good headphones.

Eventually, someone will get it, (who is an Audeze fanboy) and will tell us why they hate it, and how much they hate it, and they will then sell it, and a Hifiman lover will get it for less in the Classified section.

So, its all good.

Agreed my friend! I heard the Audeze LCD2s once a long time ago; seemed very closed in for an 'open back'. I've looked away ever since. Besides, the rights of passages is pretty steep one for the money, so I have absolutely no trouble looking elsewhere. Yes, Hifiman's a bit delicate, a little cheaper on the build components used, and maybe not as 'heritage' class, but really can't go wrong with the sound of them. A little extra care and delicate treatment and I don't see them giving up anytime soon.

PS; You're feedback in comparison to the He1000s etc. is... quite intriguing, and oddly satisfying lol.

Nov 5, 2021 at 11:01 AM Post #73 of 2,788
Agreed my friend! I heard the Audeze LCD2s once a long time ago; seemed very closed in for an 'open back'. I've looked away ever since. Besides, the rights of passages is pretty steep one for the money, so I have absolutely no trouble looking elsewhere. Yes, Hifiman's a bit delicate, a little cheaper on the build components used, and maybe not as 'heritage' class, but really can't go wrong with the sound of them. A little extra care and delicate treatment and I don't see them giving up anytime soon.

PS; You're feedback in comparison to the He1000s etc. is... quite intriguing, and oddly satisfying lol.

Agreed.
THe E-XS is not a great build, and the headband is dumb, but the sound is very good.
And at the end of the day, they are fairly comfortable, and they give you most of the 1000-series Hifiman sonic experience, for less then $500.

Will everyone love them?
Thats not possible, and that is why you see the Susvara being sold all the time for $4000 or less.
And that is why the LCD-5 will be in the classified section soon enough.
It already is happening with the DCA Stealth and the Meze Elite.....they are already turning into "for sale" and "open box" returns...

So, that is just how it goes, as you can't pay enough to insure that you will love the sound of the headphones.
This is why a $450 E-XS headphone that is not the best build, but is a very good sound, is nearly a sure thing, for your money.
And because there will be a frenzy to own it........ if you buy it and hate it, you can flip it in seconds, as this gear is going to be one of those that everyone will try....
So, its almost a risk free buy..., and that is a good thing for us all. :)

Last edited:
Nov 5, 2021 at 12:09 PM Post #75 of 2,788
Exactly.

So, its all good.
Lets hope now the XS and other recent tech finds informs older HFM cans. They seem poised if they want to let profits slide for a bit into becoming with ease the #1 purveyor of audiophile cans in the US id not worldwide. I'd be thrilled if the Susvara could be topped by the next Arya for $1299. Yes sir.

Audeze? They charge $4k for the lowest priced one I can enjoy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back