Hifiman Edition XS Launched
Nov 5, 2021 at 1:48 PM Post #76 of 2,791
There's only one thing that's a bit bothersome: the pads: they're good quality (craftsmanship wise) but they're a bit itchy, bother facial hair at least (I see how some folks have mentioned that). I'm eyeing some sheepskins ones off AliExpress - would love me some fenestrated ones though. Anyone find any? Or maybe just go with what I can find then...

Nov 5, 2021 at 4:51 PM Post #78 of 2,791
I would love to hear these Edition Xse, but it would take a lot convincing me that they are going to have the same wonderful tone as the Editon X v2, which I own. They are by far my favorite headphone
I think you're in good hands. I didn't have any of these egg-sized Hifimans and now feel that owning any one of them is a necessity. Maybe down the road you could try one and consider if at all it's worth a swap.

Nov 5, 2021 at 5:52 PM Post #79 of 2,791
I think you're in good hands. I didn't have any of these egg-sized Hifimans and now feel that owning any one of them is a necessity. Maybe down the road you could try one and consider if at all it's worth a swap.
I don't think you will be disappointed in any of them but I do think that the Edition X v2 are the smoothest tonally of the as you put egg-sized headphones. Definitely the most musical.

Nov 5, 2021 at 9:39 PM Post #81 of 2,791
I would love to hear these Edition Xse, but it would take a lot convincing me that they are going to have the same wonderful tone as the Editon X v2, which I own. They are by far my favorite headphone
Yes that's one comparison to make. HE-500 is another, in particular my modified one.

Nov 5, 2021 at 9:45 PM Post #82 of 2,791
Yes that's one comparison to make. HE-500 is another, in particular my modified one.
I have the HE-500. What mods have you done? I also have an Edition XS on the way.

Nov 5, 2021 at 9:51 PM Post #83 of 2,791
I have the HE-500. What mods have you done? I also have an Edition XS on the way.
Lots. Detailed in the main 500 thread, but a list:

Fuzzor mod
Dan Clark Ether Angled pads
Any OFC cable over the stock junk
Screens off
Dynamat on rear - not fully applied

Nov 5, 2021 at 9:54 PM Post #85 of 2,791
Have you heard the Edition X v2 and if so how would you compare the two.
I own the HEX v2. I like it better than the Amanda. I also have my 500 and moved 6sev1 and I consider both better than HEX v2. HEX is also better than the XX.

Nov 5, 2021 at 10:04 PM Post #87 of 2,791
I own the HEX v2. I like it better than the Amanda. I also have my 500 and moved 6sev1 and I consider both better than HEX v2. HEX is also better than the XX.
Can you remind me where you rank Edition XS compared to the other HiFiMan headphones you have? I only have an HE-500 with upgraded pads and a suspendor mod for the headband.

Nov 5, 2021 at 11:19 PM Post #88 of 2,791
Can you remind me where you rank Edition XS compared to the other HiFiMan headphones you have? I only have an HE-500 with upgraded pads and a suspendor mod for the headband.
No idea. Haven't heard it yet.

Nov 6, 2021 at 2:12 AM Post #89 of 2,791
Lets hope now the XS and other recent tech finds informs older HFM cans. They seem poised if they want to let profits slide for a bit into becoming with ease the #1 purveyor of audiophile cans in the US id not worldwide. I'd be thrilled if the Susvara could be topped by the next Arya for $1299. Yes sir.

Audeze? They charge $4k for the lowest priced one I can enjoy.
I mean the tech here appears to be an existing headphone re-tuned for stealth drivers magnets, which already happened to the Arya.

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2021 at 8:32 AM Post #90 of 2,791
I mean the tech here appears to be an existing headphone re-tuned for stealth drivers, which already happened to the Arya.
I heard that, haven't heard it however. I think that the stealth change verifies that the "fuzzor" mods were a workaround for a real problem.

Existing headphone? The XX or the HEX v2. Whichever, too bad we're stuck with that headband vs the HEX v2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back