Hifiman Edition XS Launched
Nov 6, 2021 at 12:16 PM Post #91 of 2,791
A bit of speculation on my part, but my spidey senses tell me it's based on the Edition XX from Drop rather than the OG Edition X, with Stealth magnets and the chunky headband.
Nothing wrong with that! But there is the new stealth magnets and diaphram. It should be better than XX. I love my XX for it's bass response, clarity, and more relaxing (than Ananda) sound signature.

Nov 6, 2021 at 12:18 PM Post #92 of 2,791
I intented to re-buy Sundara but with new announcement, deva pro and edition xs, I’ll wait a bit : hard to see for know the sound philosophy of each model.
My Edition XX was much more enjoyable than the original Sundara. Sundara has no dynamics by comparison. XX sounds much bigger...so I imagine the Edition XS to be a winner!

Nov 6, 2021 at 12:20 PM Post #93 of 2,791
Yeah, I mean if this is a poor man's Arya or Ananda or an Edition X, it's a fantastic pick for lesser dollars.

The more I listen to it, the more I forget my other cans tbh. This is hitting a lot of checkboxes for me personally.

I've ordered sheepskin earpads now. Should make the wearing a bit less irritating I presume. Fingers crossed. Plus, these definitely deserve some genuine leather lol.

Nov 6, 2021 at 1:12 PM Post #94 of 2,791
The more I listen to it, the more I forget my other cans tbh. This is hitting a lot of checkboxes for me personally.
Yeah, my Edition XX is like that. Once you listen to these HiFiMan egg-shaped series headphones, everything seems to come up short regardless of price.

Nov 6, 2021 at 8:53 PM Post #96 of 2,791
yea they said it's better than Ananda for less due to the stealth magnet implementation on the same size driver, it's only logical.

better bass was mentioned as well as smoother sound... I'm guessing Ananda is up next for a stealth magnet upgrade.

I personally have the Ananda and enjoy it, the sound is great but I'm not the biggest fan of the headband design

eventually looking to step to Arya Stealth -- I did get mine for a song no rush at the moment lol

Nov 6, 2021 at 9:04 PM Post #97 of 2,791
yea they said it's better than Ananda for less due to the stealth magnet implementation on the same size driver, it's only logical.

better bass was mentioned as well as smoother sound... I'm guessing Ananda is up next for a stealth magnet upgrade.

I personally have the Ananda and enjoy it, the sound is great but I'm not the biggest fan of the headband design

eventually looking to step to Arya Stealth -- I did get mine for a song no rush at the moment lol

You already have one of the greatest, and in terms of price to performance ratio, best values overall and finding thinks you dont like? I think the headband is by far better than the Arya (1700$!) and the open and really 3D specious and really involving sound is one of the best you can get. Yes there is always a better headphone but that is not a reason to unlike older ones. I really love the Ananda it is so close to the Arya with better FR, and so light compared to other mid to high end Tier Headphones, that you cant argue enough about the value. Maybe the new one is a bit better or in terms of sound different. But we are talking about a very high standard. There are few things dont worth the extra money to trade it. Its just not worth it.

Youre kinda catched in the always get the better Headphone phase like a new iPhone. You want to get it before it exist, thought to sell your Headphone you like for another you dosent know. I know there is always a better one and a shiny. But its just consumption.

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2021 at 9:39 PM Post #98 of 2,791
you're right, it's easy to be critical of a known-value and to fantasize about the unknown :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

at the end, we're fortunate to experience such a marvelous audio package... but overall how the Arya stealth is described; I think it's next level up in sound quality and experience, since its "a mini he1000se" and is even advertised as a "great audio value". they must mean something when they say that is my take.

and the Edition XS has been described as a mini heKv2 elsewhere. so these things are definitely improving as the technology advances

listen to TOOL - Chocolate Chip Trip !!! sick on these HIFIMAN lol

Last edited:
Nov 7, 2021 at 5:39 AM Post #101 of 2,791
You gotta keep in mind that some people didn't like that V2 Arya "magic" and consider them to be distant and cold sounding, so the stealth version could be an improvement for those people.
But for this this purpose there are many other Headphones. Without the Dimensional layering sound the Arya lost his argue

Nov 7, 2021 at 6:01 AM Post #102 of 2,791
But for this this purpose there are many other Headphones. Without the Dimensional layering sound the Arya lost his argue
Didn't try the stealth version but according to the reviews I don't think it has lost its imaging or soundstage capabilities. They might just be different.
Anyways, good thing is that you can buy the one you like the most because there's plenty of V2 Aryas new and 2nd hand.

Nov 7, 2021 at 6:38 AM Post #103 of 2,791
Didn't try the stealth version but according to the reviews I don't think it has lost its imaging or soundstage capabilities. They might just be different.
Anyways, good thing is that you can buy the one you like the most because there's plenty of V2 Aryas new and 2nd hand.
Hifiman's really serving all price tiers right now - that's a huge play for planar magnetic headphones which at one point were just a dream for most folks.
While other companies taking prices to a whole another level, this is really a win-win for the masses. Of course people may often object Chinese QA and nitpick stuff, and that's justified. But having headphones starting from $130 to $15,000 and everywhere in between helps serve everyone out there. +1!

Nov 7, 2021 at 2:39 PM Post #104 of 2,791
You gotta keep in mind that some people didn't like that V2 Arya "magic" and consider them to be distant and cold sounding, so the stealth version could be an improvement for those people.
I liked the OG Arya, but personally prefer the Stealth version. It's fuller sounding, more detailed and much more engaging and natural soundung. The OG Arya had an issue with ringing in its treble, the stealth doesn't. I personally prefer the tuning of the Stealth Arya and also find the imaging to be more pin point and precise. While soundstage isn't as large, it still is one of the biggest I've heard and consider it a little larger than the HE1000V2. For me, it still has the Arya magic :wink:

Last edited:
Nov 9, 2021 at 1:27 AM Post #105 of 2,791
I got my Edition XS today! Wow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back