Hifiman Edition XS Launched
Oct 19, 2021 at 9:55 AM Post #16 of 2,777
I intented to re-buy Sundara but with new announcement, deva pro and edition xs, I’ll wait a bit : hard to see for know the sound philosophy of each model.

Oct 19, 2021 at 9:58 AM Post #17 of 2,777
Compared to the XX, if these have a different impedance, sensitivity, diaphragm and also use the stealth magnets. I would say that's enough differences to assume that is not just an XX with a different headband? Right? I could be missing something though.

Oct 19, 2021 at 10:33 AM Post #18 of 2,777
Compared to the XX, if these have a different impedance, sensitivity, diaphragm and also use the stealth magnets. I would say that's enough differences to assume that is not just an XX with a different headband? Right? I could be missing something though.
It's clearly a new headphone. Hifiman is calling it the successor to the Edition X, but we don't know at this point what it sounds like. Maybe it sounds similar to the Ananda, or the the X V2, or the XX, or maybe it's different from all of them.

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2021 at 1:52 PM Post #19 of 2,777
It's clearly a new headphone. Hifiman is calling it the successor to the Edition X, but we don't know at this point what it sounds like. Maybe it sounds similar to the Ananda, or the the X V2, or the XX, or maybe it's different from all of them.
If its close to the Ananda, it'll harm sales unless the Ananda morphs into something near the Arya for $999. New Arya to $1299, and a cheaper HEK for $1999. Maybe make a real attempt at a HE-500, not that re-badged toy the 5XX - although with the 6sev2 at $599 where does it slot? $349 seems good!

Oct 20, 2021 at 1:50 AM Post #20 of 2,777
If its close to the Ananda, it'll harm sales unless the Ananda morphs into something near the Arya for $999. New Arya to $1299, and a cheaper HEK for $1999. Maybe make a real attempt at a HE-500, not that re-badged toy the 5XX - although with the 6sev2 at $599 where does it slot? $349 seems good!
Headphones along the lines of the DEVA Pro might be the closest they'll ever go to that: refining a planar more focused on timbre. It'll be a lot brighter though, but the HE-500 was pretty dark.

Oct 20, 2021 at 4:55 PM Post #21 of 2,777
Headphones along the lines of the DEVA Pro might be the closest they'll ever go to that: refining a planar more focused on timbre. It'll be a lot brighter though, but the HE-500 was pretty dark.
Stock HE-500 I find to have bass that's tuneful but late/slow, highs move from lots of ringing/brightness to fairly defined and flat. The mids were always good - with that HFM dip in the upper mids.

The stock cable is microphonic and bright. Replace with O2 free copper DIY or made.

The rear mesh creates some ringing and eats a lot of depth/side to side - replace with nothing

The pads are MOR, for flatter treble, solid bass and much more stage width - get a Dan Clark Ether Angled Lambskin.

The bass is slow, damp with dynamat (read my posts)

The key mod - fuzzor. Cuts reverberations/cancellations. Instruments are purer. Focus is tighter. There is much less bleeding. A lot of edge goes away.

I have a bunch of posts on EQ and the 500. Check them out.

Oct 21, 2021 at 4:30 PM Post #23 of 2,777
Oct 22, 2021 at 3:36 PM Post #26 of 2,777
I believe it's the first unboxing video.
Not very useful, but still.

Oct 22, 2021 at 10:26 PM Post #28 of 2,777
Is there a frequency response graph of these anywhere? Base on most of the Chinese reviews the XS seems to be a bit fuller in the mids than the ananda, with a more tamed highs.
Some of the reviews call it brighter than the original Edition X, which is basically what the Ananda is tonally. We're going to need more precise comparisons to get an exact grasp on their value.

Oct 26, 2021 at 2:47 PM Post #30 of 2,777
Just got confirmation that the Edition XS is a China-only release, at least that's the official line.
As memory serves, that was initially the case for the HE-400se, too, although the difference there was that that version did not have stealth magnets, and later an "international version" of HE-400se with stealth magnets emerged, and the stealth magnets continue to differentiate it from the Chinese-market only version of the HE-400se....

...so kind of hard to see it repeating for the Edition XS, I'm afraid, at least going by past practice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back