Hifiman Edition X
Nov 22, 2015 at 5:25 PM Post #331 of 4,030
That's my buying list for this year too. And it also includes not-buying-any .. which seems to be the winning item up to now.
Wont buy Dharma without another more careful test and it's very hard to find a demo pair anywhere in EU... 800S may come next year.. and heX looks seriously overpriced from where I stand. We'll see

Yes... I've seen your posts in the respective threads. What is your current headphone?
The only one in the wild so far is the Dharma and it doesn't seem to have made it across the Atlantic as yet.
I would have the HEK on my ears now if they were not such a price.

Nov 23, 2015 at 1:54 AM Post #332 of 4,030
Yes... I've seen your posts in the respective threads. What is your current headphone?
The only one in the wild so far is the Dharma and it doesn't seem to have made it across the Atlantic as yet.
I would have the HEK on my ears now if they were not such a price.

Slightly modded hd650.
Wont pay $1000+ for something that is not better in all aspects .. and havent found that one. The heK sounds nice indeed but it's not only way too expensive, its FR is also quite uneven: lazy bass, jagged mids, etc.

Nov 23, 2015 at 3:21 PM Post #333 of 4,030
What exactly does lazy bass means?
I wonder if people heard the HEKs on toasters :D
I understand that YMMV but lazy? Smh.
I am not sure what jagged mids mean either :confused:
Its not a perfect headphone, but I don't know what to make of those comments...

Nov 23, 2015 at 3:23 PM Post #334 of 4,030
What exactly does lazy bass means?
I wonder if people heard the HEKs on toasters
biggrin.gif

I understand that YMMV but lazy? Smh.

Bass that you feel has the potential to slam hard but isn't trying hard enough 
biggrin.gif

Nov 23, 2015 at 3:26 PM Post #335 of 4,030
Slightly modded hd650.
Wont pay $1000+ for something that is not better in all aspects .. and havent found that one. The heK sounds nice indeed but it's not only way too expensive, its FR is also quite uneven: lazy bass, jagged mids, etc.
Have you heard the HE-k, or you getting all that from the FR.

Nov 23, 2015 at 4:11 PM Post #338 of 4,030
It's not lazy. It won't pierce a hole in your chest but the punch is sufficient. Extension is excellent (audible (feelable :p) down to 22Hz). Extraordinarily tight throughout, including the sub-bass ( it comes and goes on a whim)...
Well, when the recording has the bass, you'll hear it.
An all-round improvement on the HE560. I prefer it to the HE6 I had way back.
But I digress, look forward to HEK comparisons. :)

Nov 23, 2015 at 4:43 PM Post #340 of 4,030
So are these out now? I see them posted on some sights. I might be an early adopter...

They are in stock on Hifiman.us now!

Razordog Audio also carries them (not sure about the stock).

http://www.hifiman.com/products/detail/255
http://store.hifiman.com/index.php/edition-x.html
https://www.razordogaudio.com/collections/frontpage/products/hifiman-edition-x-planar-magnetic-headphone

Nov 23, 2015 at 4:47 PM Post #341 of 4,030
Bass that you feel has the potential to slam hard but isn't trying hard enough :D  

As a short & clear explanation I coldn't have done better :).

The bass is close to perfect for a slow & deep jazz contrabass line .. prolly any kind of acoustic bass. But when it comes to something like really fast big drums or fast electro, it does not project the full energy, IMHO .. it somehow tempers & relaxes the sound a bit. E.g. HE6 is much better.
Also I think the subbass is a bit too much .. to my ears it sounds a bit disconnected from the rest of the bass. The FR graph looks quite linear but to my ears it was not...it seemed faster and more powerful than the rest of the "lazy bass".

The jagged mids refer indeed to the measured FR. That's just plain ugly and worse than $30 cans ... unnaceptable for $3K and the diafragm and/or driver clearly have some issues. And yes, I first saw the graph and then listened. Could be that I woudnt have heard anything without seeing the FR first. But I did see it .. and I do think that the mids are not TOTL quality. E.g. I like the hd650 mids more.

Hope that answered all Qs.
And also hope to read some heX input soon

Nov 24, 2015 at 5:35 AM Post #343 of 4,030
I'm looking forward to comparisons between The Edition-X, LCD-X, Ether and eventually the HD800S. Seems like the others have a huge weight advantage over the LCD-X...

Nov 24, 2015 at 7:59 PM Post #345 of 4,030
  I'm looking forward to comparisons between The Edition-X, LCD-X, Ether and eventually the HD800S. Seems like the others have a huge weight advantage over the LCD-X...

2016 is looking to be a pretty incredible year. I've been itching to move up from the LCD-2.1s for a few months now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back