Hifiman Edition X
Nov 19, 2015 at 1:19 PM Post #316 of 4,030
Just try to see what is different to make the cost so different. With speakers it is easy to see better build quality and drivers as the price goes up.

I have no issue with the price. Just trying to decide if I want these or the HD800S when it comes out. Figuring I could use HD800 and HE1000 impression to get an idea of how the X would compare to the HD800S.

Without a certain chain/gear setup.  I would easily buy the LCD-X over the HD800.  They are relatively easy to drive and less picky about sources/amps to sound good with the Audeze house sound.  The HD800 with certain equipment mismatches will make you wish you never bought them in the first place.

Nov 19, 2015 at 4:09 PM Post #320 of 4,030
One long cable with 1/4" plug, and one shorter cable with 3.5mm. I still don't see anybody ever wearing these on the go.

You obviously haven't met Reddog. 
wink.gif

Nov 19, 2015 at 4:18 PM Post #322 of 4,030
Some of the new DAPs do a good job driving full sized headphones. I wouldn't take the ed. x out of the house but around the house and maybe back porch would be fine. 

Nov 22, 2015 at 12:12 PM Post #324 of 4,030
I'd like to know this as well as what makes it roughly twice the price of the HE-560...

The fact that it looks like the he1k :D

That may sound like a joke but afaik it's the plain and simple truth. According to hfman it does not use the nanodiafragm so I guess it's just a tweaked 560 driver cause they did not announce a new one. Also it does not use any expensive materials, it's pretty much the same quality build as the 560.

Of course if anyone has better info, this is me asking for it again.

Nov 22, 2015 at 12:20 PM Post #325 of 4,030

I'd like to know this as well as what makes it roughly twice the price of the HE-560...

The fact that it looks like the he1k
biggrin.gif

That may sound like a joke but afaik it's the plain and simple truth. According to hfman it does not use the nanodiafragm so I guess it's just a tweaked 560 driver cause they did not announce a new one. Also it does not use any expensive materials, it's pretty much the same quality build as the 560.

Of course if anyone has better info, this is me asking for it again.

They are selling the HE560 for $699, so if it's a tweaked 560 it will lose interest pretty fast, IMO.  We find out next week when they are supposed to start shipping!

Nov 22, 2015 at 2:46 PM Post #327 of 4,030

They are selling the HE560 for $699, so if it's a tweaked 560 it will lose interest pretty fast, IMO.  We find out next week when they are supposed to start shipping!

Where in the world are you seeing such prices? It's $1200 in Canada. Pretty such it's above $800 in the US

Black Fiday from Hifiman Facebook!

Nov 22, 2015 at 3:11 PM Post #328 of 4,030
I've owned the HE-560 extensively and had the chance to demo the HE-X. I would say that the sound signatures and tonal characteristics are quite different between the two models. I would personally prefer the HE-X over the HE-560, but when factoring in price point and value, it is a harder call. I know that some folks are bothered by the lower treble peak of the HE-560. The HE-X did not have an issue in that region from my initial impressions. Would need more time with them to really get a more in-depth view of their sound signature. My impressions left me with the feeling that the HE-X did have extremely well-done bass that has plenty of warmth and heft without bleeding into the midrange. Seems more sonically similar to the HE-1000 rather than the HE-560 in overall tonal balance. I personally have difficulty hearing the splashiness of the treble some folks mention with the HE-1k, so I am not a good judge of whether that exists with the HE-X.

Overall, for its current price point, I do see it as an extremely competitive option against the LCD-X, LCD-3, and Ether Open/Closed. I personally would lean towards the HE-X personally with the Ethers next followed by the LCD-X. If shopping for a sub-$2k pair of headphones. The other two new sub-$2k headphones that are coming out that I am personally interested in are the Dharma and HD800S. The HE-X and Dharmas would have been the most impressive new open headphones I've heard with the Ether Closed being a very well-done closed pair of headphones for shoppers looking for a closed-back that does not sound as closed as most other options on the market.

HE-560 I would say is more variable to personal preference than the rest of these options, but I did find the HE-560 to compete relatively well against the HD800 with some subtle difference sonic characteristics that can make you choose one over the other depending on the price point. The HD800 has subtly larger left to right sound stage and more pronounced mid-bass and upper treble in relative comparison to the HE-560. The HE-560 has better overall bass in my personal opinion with more linear extension and more sub-bass presence. The HE-560 has more of a lower treble emphasis. Both of these options are a bit more on the brighter side of neutral in my personal estimation. The HD800 can be quite peaky in its treble region, so finding a good amplifier pairing is essential. The ALO Studio Six was an extremely impressive pairing for the HD800. I personally do also prefer a slightly warm tube amplifier with the HE-560. Not something as warm like the WA7 which I feel like diminishes sound of its soundstage and imaging detail, but the Lyr 2 worked extremely well for the HE-560. I feel like the HE-560 can work better with mid-tier amplifiers, while the HD800 may lead people into investing in much more expensive amplifier components to really get it to sound just right.

Just some of my personal impressions & thoughts. YMMV.

Nov 22, 2015 at 4:33 PM Post #329 of 4,030
  I've owned the HE-560 extensively and had the chance to demo the HE-X. I would say that the sound signatures and tonal characteristics are quite different between the two models. I would personally prefer the HE-X over the HE-560, but when factoring in price point and value, it is a harder call. I know that some folks are bothered by the lower treble peak of the HE-560. The HE-X did not have an issue in that region from my initial impressions. Would need more time with them to really get a more in-depth view of their sound signature. My impressions left me with the feeling that the HE-X did have extremely well-done bass that has plenty of warmth and heft without bleeding into the midrange. Seems more sonically similar to the HE-1000 rather than the HE-560 in overall tonal balance. I personally have difficulty hearing the splashiness of the treble some folks mention with the HE-1k, so I am not a good judge of whether that exists with the HE-X.

Overall, for its current price point, I do see it as an extremely competitive option against the LCD-X, LCD-3, and Ether Open/Closed. I personally would lean towards the HE-X personally with the Ethers next followed by the LCD-X. If shopping for a sub-$2k pair of headphones. The other two new sub-$2k headphones that are coming out that I am personally interested in are the Dharma and HD800S. The HE-X and Dharmas would have been the most impressive new open headphones I've heard with the Ether Closed being a very well-done closed pair of headphones for shoppers looking for a closed-back that does not sound as closed as most other options on the market.

HE-560 I would say is more variable to personal preference than the rest of these options, but I did find the HE-560 to compete relatively well against the HD800 with some subtle difference sonic characteristics that can make you choose one over the other depending on the price point. The HD800 has subtly larger left to right sound stage and more pronounced mid-bass and upper treble in relative comparison to the HE-560. The HE-560 has better overall bass in my personal opinion with more linear extension and more sub-bass presence. The HE-560 has more of a lower treble emphasis. Both of these options are a bit more on the brighter side of neutral in my personal estimation. The HD800 can be quite peaky in its treble region, so finding a good amplifier pairing is essential. The ALO Studio Six was an extremely impressive pairing for the HD800. I personally do also prefer a slightly warm tube amplifier with the HE-560. Not something as warm like the WA7 which I feel like diminishes sound of its soundstage and imaging detail, but the Lyr 2 worked extremely well for the HE-560. I feel like the HE-560 can work better with mid-tier amplifiers, while the HD800 may lead people into investing in much more expensive amplifier components to really get it to sound just right.

Just some of my personal impressions & thoughts. YMMV.

Thanks. I was considering HEX Dharma and HD800S as potential replacement for HE-560 and your observations are most welcome alongside your review of HEK v HE-560.
It looks like I should continue to appreciate the 560's and put the brakes on my upgraditis...

Nov 22, 2015 at 5:06 PM Post #330 of 4,030
Thanks. I was considering HEX Dharma and HD800S as potential replacement for HE-560 and your observations are most welcome alongside your review of HEK v HE-560.
It looks like I should continue to appreciate the 560's and put the brakes on my upgraditis...

That's my buying list for this year too. And it also includes not-buying-any .. which seems to be the winning item up to now.
Wont buy Dharma without another more careful test and it's very hard to find a demo pair anywhere in EU... 800S may come next year.. and heX looks seriously overpriced from where I stand. We'll see

Users who are viewing this thread

Back