HIFIMAN Edition X Loaner Program
Jan 7, 2016 at 5:50 AM Post #76 of 173
Just got mine in the mail.

First thing I saw:

Anyone notice that the inner mesh grille on the ED-X is roughly done/dented in?

@fleasbaby Did you check the bottom of the headphone? It's like the grille has just been thrown in casually. 

Jan 7, 2016 at 6:35 AM Post #77 of 173

First thing I saw:

@fleasbaby Did you check the bottom of the headphone? It's like the grille has just been thrown in casually. 

Ha! I hadn't noticed till you brought it up. Mine has this too. I got my loaner pair since yesterday...

Jan 7, 2016 at 6:37 AM Post #78 of 173
  Ha! I hadn't noticed till you brought it up. Mine has this too. I got my loaner pair since yesterday...

Glad I'm not the only one. Any reason why it's like this?
I'd hardly think it's on purpose. Looks like it hasn't been properly attached.

Jan 7, 2016 at 6:43 AM Post #79 of 173
the Grado HifiMAN"Charm" 
wink_face.gif

I'm a Grado fan, and when the headphones come out with little quirks like this, some people like to say little things like "Charm" to soften the blow 
rolleyes.gif
biggrin.gif

Jan 7, 2016 at 6:49 AM Post #80 of 173

First thing I saw:

@fleasbaby
 Did you check the bottom of the headphone? It's like the grille has just been thrown in casually. 

Yes...I mentioned it in my review...it was one of the things that annoyed me and drove my argument that $1799 is a bit much to spend on them (unless you are a hardened audiophile and are okay with accepting "charm"...being a Grado fan as well I know exactly what @wormsdriver is talking about
biggrin.gif
).

Jan 7, 2016 at 7:05 AM Post #81 of 173
Yes...I mentioned it in my review...it was one of the things that annoyed me and drove my argument that $1799 is a bit much to spend on them (unless you are a hRdened audiobook hole and are okay with accepting "charm"...being a Grado fan as well I know exactly what Wormsdriver is talking about
biggrin.gif
).

Fair enough. Just caught that little bit of information way in the bottom of your review 
wink_face.gif

I also noted that the plastic gimbals are slightly loose on one side.

Let's hope that HIFIMAN catches on.

PS: Let's hope the original cardboard box makes it out alive. It's already looking plastered with 20 layers of tape haha. Wonder what it'll look like towards the end of the tour.

Jan 7, 2016 at 9:44 AM Post #82 of 173
  Fair enough. Just caught that little bit of information way in the bottom of your review 
wink_face.gif

I also noted that the plastic gimbals are slightly loose on one side.

Let's hope that HIFIMAN catches on.

PS: Let's hope the original cardboard box makes it out alive. It's already looking plastered with 20 layers of tape haha. Wonder what it'll look like towards the end of the tour.

...I know @Mshenay had issues too. The left side on the tour unit he got actually gave out....so it wasn't just looks in his case.

Just edited my post to you from earlier. Really need to post in the early morning while trusting auto-correct less often. LMAO.

Jan 7, 2016 at 11:42 AM Post #83 of 173

First thing I saw:

The loaner I have has the same thing. There is a lot of nitpicking that can be done on this headphone. At 1799 it should be under tough scrutiny and the highest standards. 

But there is no denying that HiFiMan has made an exceptionally well balanced headphone. The best balance on a full sized open back I have heard yet. Even better balanced than the HD650, while I prefer the balance of the latter, the HeX doesn't have the midbass hump that a lot of people (not me) dislike about the hd650. 

Jan 7, 2016 at 11:54 PM Post #84 of 173
  The loaner I have has the same thing. There is a lot of nitpicking that can be done on this headphone. At 1799 it should be under tough scrutiny and the highest standards. 

But there is no denying that HiFiMan has made an exceptionally well balanced headphone. The best balance on a full sized open back I have heard yet. Even better balanced than the HD650, while I prefer the balance of the latter, the HeX doesn't have the midbass hump that a lot of people (not me) dislike about the hd650. 

Tonally, I wouldn't say they are the best balanced. There seems to be a lack of treble quantity and treble energy, though the extension seems to be there.
I can see why people stated that these are slightly-dark sounding. I can definitely hear that. 

Good news! I just picked up a HE-6 again.
So now I've got the HE-6, HE-1000, and the ED-X sitting next to each other.

Jan 8, 2016 at 12:07 AM Post #85 of 173

Tonally, I wouldn't say they are the best balanced. There seems to be a lack of treble quantity and treble energy, though the extension seems to be there.
I can see why people stated that these are slightly-dark sounding. I can definitely hear that. 

Good news! I just picked up a HE-6 again.
So now I've got the HE-6, HE-1000, and the ED-X sitting next to each other.

Def disagree. I think the extension is okay but the quantity is spot on. 

I have pretty much gauged my sense of neutrality with studio monitors ( several pair ) and against most of them the hex would not end up sounding dark at all. I do find there to be an overall lack of aggression and a need for a blacker background but I find the previous generation of audiophile flagships to all boost the highs in a way that is totally different than studio gear ( the finest even ) I have never been in a studio and heard any gear ever sounding as bright as the HE-6 for example (still my current favorite). 

I think the people that are used to hearing things on studio monitors  would find this headphone tuned fairly well. 

Jan 8, 2016 at 12:43 AM Post #86 of 173
  Def disagree. I think the extension is okay but the quantity is spot on. 

I have pretty much gauged my sense of neutrality with studio monitors ( several pair ) and against most of them the hex would not end up sounding dark at all. I do find there to be an overall lack of aggression and a need for a blacker background but I find the previous generation of audiophile flagships to all boost the highs in a way that is totally different than studio gear ( the finest even ) I have never been in a studio and heard any gear ever sounding as bright as the HE-6 for example (still my current favorite). 

I think the people that are used to hearing things on studio monitors  would find this headphone tuned fairly well. 

I hate listening to studio monitors. I guess that's where we differ LOL
I'm actually not a huge fan of a sterile and neutral sound signature. 
For example, the R70x is almost tonally flat. But it's resolution and imaging is mid-fi at best. And it's just not very exciting unfortunately.

To me, the emotional aspect the way music is presented is much more important. 
I've got the ED-X hooked up to the Liquid Crimson as we speak. Side-by-side with the HE-6 and it's like night and day.
The HE-6 isn't even that bright compared to the HD800, T1.2, or the K812s. This is probably because most people don't run them straight out of speaker taps to a power amp. It really does make a difference.

Extension is actually good. What I mean by lack of quantity is that there's a distinct lack of upper treble energy. This affects the transient response and subsequently gives instruments a softer touch. 
It reminds me more of the HE-560 than the HE-1000.
Speaking of which, I'd think you'll love the HE-1000 if you ever get your hands on a pair. 

Jan 8, 2016 at 1:16 AM Post #87 of 173

I hate listening to studio monitors. I guess that's where we differ LOL
I'm actually not a huge fan of a sterile and neutral sound signature. 
For example, the R70x is almost tonally flat. But it's resolution and imaging is mid-fi at best. And it's just not very exciting unfortunately.

To me, the emotional aspect the way music is presented is much more important. 
I've got the ED-X hooked up to the Liquid Crimson as we speak. Side-by-side with the HE-6 and it's like night and day.
The HE-6 isn't even that bright compared to the HD800, T1.2, or the K812s. This is probably because most people don't run them straight out of speaker taps to a power amp. It really does make a difference.

Extension is actually good. What I mean by lack of quantity is that there's a distinct lack of upper treble energy. This affects the transient response and subsequently gives instruments a softer touch. 
It reminds me more of the HE-560 than the HE-1000.
Speaking of which, I'd think you'll love the HE-1000 if you ever get your hands on a pair. 

There we differ very much so. I haven't found a headphone yet to beat a pair of studio monitors because everything is equally there, punch snap, kick, mids, transparency, air, everything I can think of. Add a sub and oh my!!!! I would get my music back from the studio and every time the level of excitement would drop by half. 

I had the he6 out of speaker taps and thats why its still my favorite, bright to me it still is.

Not to argue but isn't a lack of upper treble energy similar (not exactly the same ) as poor extension. The energy isn't extending high enough. 

Jan 8, 2016 at 1:30 AM Post #88 of 173
  There we differ very much so. I haven't found a headphone yet to beat a pair of studio monitors because everything is equally there, punch snap, kick, mids, transparency, air, everything I can think of. Add a sub and oh my!!!! I would get my music back from the studio and every time the level of excitement would drop by half. 

I had the he6 out of speaker taps and thats why its still my favorite, bright to me it still is.

Not to argue but isn't a lack of upper treble energy similar (not exactly the same ) as poor extension. The energy isn't extending high enough. 

I thought you meant headphone studio monitors @.@

I like desktop studio monitors. I currently use a pair of KEF LS50s. They do things headphones can't match!

Well I'm glad you enjoyed the HE-6 :) They only seem to scale better with better equipment.

Well, treble energy is usually associated with perceived brightness and subsequently more "details" up top (e.g. Sony MDR-SA5000 known as one of the most detailed headphones, with sub-bass roll off)
I'm simply referring to the fact that the ED-X's treble extends fairly well. I think this corroborates with it's measurements. 
But to my ears, I hear them darker than most of the headphones I've become accustomed to. (AKG, Beyer, Sennheiser, Fostex)

Jan 8, 2016 at 1:28 PM Post #89 of 173
Wow, just heard about this tour today so I am probably too late,but I gotta ask.
confused.gif

I would love to be considered if there is room in the tour to include me. I am in Seattle so I am 2 hours from Oregon if I can be added. FYI, I have done numerous tours and numerous reviews and promise to provide a solid review if considered.     - Bill

Jan 10, 2016 at 10:08 PM Post #90 of 173
actually, I just noticed the mesh on my Left Side grill is a little... well it's not entirely even

I really do hope the Quality control of this headphones takes a step forward... a REALLY HUGE one 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back