Hifiman Edition S - NEW Closed Portable
Sep 23, 2016 at 7:57 AM Post #301 of 485
so today i noticed that the left speaker rotates freely. took a closer look and it's easy to pull out of it's socket so that you can see the wire going into the headband. will have to return these for warranty. damnit!

Sep 23, 2016 at 9:23 AM Post #302 of 485
Well, that sucks....I am receiving these today and the build quality issues don't give me too much confidence.  I know the price is on the very low end of the HiFiMan product line, but have others experienced such issues?  $240 is still expensive enough to expect at least some durability.

Sep 23, 2016 at 9:29 AM Post #303 of 485
One of my cups rotates more freely than the other, but I don't really consider it an issue

Sep 23, 2016 at 3:15 PM Post #304 of 485
I received the headphone and the mirror/magnet part was separated from one of the covers.  I had to press it down on the cover to put it back in place.  Yes, it sounds pretty good (much better with covers off), a balanced sound with a nice bass response, but it feels cheap.    Also, the headband is horrible (very stiff) and the clamping force is too much for me.  The pads are quite nice and soft but it's got a vice like grip and I don't even have a big head.

Oh well, I will be returning them and bowing out of the Edition S club....

Question for Meze 99 owners - is it more comfortable than the Edition S?  Is it a darker sound signature?

Sep 24, 2016 at 8:14 AM Post #306 of 485
I received the headphone and the mirror/magnet part was separated from one of the covers.  I had to press it down on the cover to put it back in place.  Yes, it sounds pretty good (much better with covers off), a balanced sound with a nice bass response, but it feels cheap.    Also, the headband is horrible (very stiff) and the clamping force is too much for me.  The pads are quite nice and soft but it's got a vice like grip and I don't even have a big head.

Oh well, I will be returning them and bowing out of the Edition S club....

Question for Meze 99 owners - is it more comfortable than the Edition S?  Is it a darker sound signature?

That depends by what you consider more comfortable.

Keep in mind edition S has velour lined earpads if you are a fan of that.

Comfort wise both are overear and newest mezes should have their larger pads.

Convenient is what Meze 99.
You don't have to play with headband or adjust the headband clicking etc. One size fits all.
you put the strap on your head and the 99 memory foam does the rest

Sep 24, 2016 at 10:18 AM Post #307 of 485
Had no problem with pads just headband seem to have no flexibility and overall build quality was unimpressive. Velour pads are almost always better but not against pleather type.

My concern with Meze is if it's more bassy than the S edition to the point it overpowers everything else. I like a warm, rich sound but still need the detail and clarity. I guess I am too spoiled with the Stax.

Sep 24, 2016 at 10:21 AM Post #308 of 485
Had no problem with pads just headband seem to have no flexibility and overall build quality was unimpressive. Velour pads are almost always better but not against pleather type.

My concern with Meze is if it's more bassy than the S edition to the point it overpowers everything else. I like a warm, rich sound but still need the detail and clarity. I guess I am too spoiled with the Stax.

I think you have wrong idea about Meze99 base. mezes strongest point imo is it's mids

Sep 24, 2016 at 12:49 PM Post #309 of 485
Had no problem with pads just headband seem to have no flexibility and overall build quality was unimpressive...

This is exactly true.
The unit feel like build quality just plain.
Not impressive like the Audeze Sine, which had opposite problem of being to fancy so I worried about scuffing or handling it.

The headband I said it before and will say it again is its weak point.

It is not flexible, so it takes a bit of time to loosen up.

The problem is that once they are loose enough,
Do NOT try to close them to make firmer,
As the plastic is not flexible to bend closed at all, and you may risk damaging headband.

Otherwise with normal usage its fine and the sound is way worth ownership.

Sep 24, 2016 at 12:54 PM Post #310 of 485
This is exactly true.
The unit feel like build quality just plain.
Not impressive like the Audeze Sine, which had opposite problem of being to fancy so I worried about scuffing or handling it.

The headband I said it before and will say it again is its weak point.

It is not flexible, so it takes a bit of time to loosen up.

The problem is that once they are loose enough,
Do NOT try to close them to make firmer,
As the plastic is not flexible to bend closed at all, and you may risk damaging headband.

Otherwise with normal usage its fine and the sound is way worth ownership.

Yeah I still keep my hifiman even though I own meze.
Headband is stiff plastic. But its light.

I can see where Lacuffia is coming from with stax.

I really do like hifiman edition S sound a bit more than Meze with caps open. Though closed is liveable since. I need it to cut leakage 99%.

Sep 24, 2016 at 12:59 PM Post #311 of 485
If Hifiman does a second iteration of these headphones (and I certainly hope they do), it would be nice to see a more premium build, even if it raises the price by another $50 or $100. As they are I think they're solid enough that I'm not expecting them to fall apart, and they sound excellent, so I'm happy with them even though improvements can be made

In terms of comfort, clamping force is a bit higher than some other headphones I've used, but I feel like it's so well distributed that they're still some of the most comfortable headphones I've owned

Sep 24, 2016 at 1:01 PM Post #312 of 485
Don't get me wrong I thought sound of Editio S was very impressive. Just didn't work for me ergonomically. I guess with HiFiMan you have to go way up chain for better build quality and comfort. I also thought the 400s was high quality soundwise but cheap feeling.

I might try Meze next as I am looking for something portable and closed. Stax is obviously for home use but even that is very open and sound leakage is significant so need closed option so as to not annoy family.

Sep 24, 2016 at 1:45 PM Post #313 of 485

That's why i think they are overpriced, they look like 150$ headphones.
I'm sure they will drop in price eventually.

Sep 24, 2016 at 1:54 PM Post #314 of 485

That's why i think they are overpriced, they look like 150$ headphones.
I'm sure they will drop in price eventually.

They also sound much better than $150 headphones, not even close. I'm sure you're right that the price will fall though, that happens with most headphones after they've been out for a while

Sep 24, 2016 at 3:10 PM Post #315 of 485
Don't get me wrong I thought sound of Editio S was very impressive. Just didn't work for me ergonomically. I guess with HiFiMan you have to go way up chain for better build quality and comfort. I also thought the 400s was high quality soundwise but cheap feeling.

I might try Meze next as I am looking for something portable and closed. Stax is obviously for home use but even that is very open and sound leakage is significant so need closed option so as to not annoy family.

But definitely do give meze a try.

They are a balanced headphone imo. Decent good soundstage for being a closed headphone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back