Hifiman Edition S - NEW Closed Portable
Oct 4, 2015 at 9:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 485

mrscotchguy

1000+ Head-Fier
There's not a whole lottof information on Hifiman's newest teaser from RMAF2105... But here's a few photo's and I will update as more information rolls in.

Specs:
FQ Response: 15Hz-22kHz
Impedance: 32ohm
Weight: 240g (lightest Hifiman yet!)
Driver Technology: Dynamic Driver
Expected Price: $200-300

What we know:
On-ear Design
Single sided cable
Removable earcups (allows for both open and closed configurations???)

First Impressions:
What many people were not expecting was yet another new headphone from HiFiMAN called the Edition S. This additional edition will be the lowest-priced model in Hifiman’s line at $199. Unlike its planar magnetic siblings, the S will be a dynamic driver headphone. It can be used in open-back mode and it comes with little magnetic plates to cover the back of the ear cups. I can’t think of another headphone right now that can be run with both options and I think this flexibility will appeal to many. It also folds up for easy transportation and has a removable cable using a single-entry 3.5mm TRS jack.

This unit is still in the process of being tuned so what CanJam attendees heard is not final. However, it’s got a fun bass-heavy signature that should be appealing to fans of electronica or hip-hop. With its removable cable, it may also be a good candidate for a fun gaming headphone. These headphones are still in early development and will hopefully launch by the end of the year, but a date has not yet been set. Hifiman is experimenting with this new naming convention so both of the new titles here may also be subject to change.

Oct 4, 2015 at 5:50 PM Post #2 of 485
Interesting. Did anyone get a chance to hear it at CANJAM?

Oct 4, 2015 at 6:44 PM Post #3 of 485
If this is HE's take on the PM-3, I'd be very interested to hear this. Probably in the $300-400 range we're used to seeing now a days with portable gear.

I wish they'd tone down the logo a bit... Otherwise it looks quite interesting

Oct 4, 2015 at 10:52 PM Post #4 of 485

I was hoping the same thing...

If this is HE's take on the PM-3, I'd be very interested to hear this. Probably in the $300-400 range we're used to seeing now a days with portable gear.

I wish they'd tone down the logo a bit... Otherwise it looks quite interesting

Not sure what Hifiman is going for with this one, but with any luck, they'll go for a value product. They are light weight, and from the picture, look mostly plastic. With the large logo, Hifiman might be aiming for mainstream. Crossing my fingers for $200-250

Oct 4, 2015 at 11:22 PM Post #5 of 485
UPDATE: Added photos to OP

Some info about the Edt.S from SoundStageGlobal.com:

Fresh off the success of its HE1000 flagship headphones, HiFiMan got lots of attention at CanJam with two new models, the Edition X and Edition S. The former is a slightly downscaled, more efficient version of the HE1000s. The company says it’s 20 percent lighter and has a sensitivity of 107dB, which is extremely high for planar-magnetic headphones, and in my brief listen it did seem to capture much of the HE1000s’ magic. The latter is a unique open-back, dynamic-driver model that includes magnetically attached plates that convert it to closed back. Both are projected to ship in late 2015. Prices are not set but expect something under $2000 for the Edition X and under $300 for the Edition S headphones.

Oct 5, 2015 at 2:30 AM Post #6 of 485
Edition S will be a dynamic on-ear portable headphone with removable back so it can convert from closed to open. The one they had at RMAF was a prototype so sound & many other aspects likely to change.

Oct 6, 2015 at 3:06 AM Post #7 of 485
Looks like a non-folding headband? If they don't fold up into a "ball" like some other full-size over-ear portable designs, they've really missed a trick. Makes them so much more "stow and go". Don't appear to at least rotate flat, either. Neither tweak would sacrifice sound quality, but they'd both increase portability, and it's supposed to be a portable design...

Oct 6, 2015 at 8:33 PM Post #8 of 485
  Edition S will be a dynamic on-ear portable headphone with removable back so it can convert from closed to open. The one they had at RMAF was a prototype so sound & many other aspects likely to change.

Well, that sounds good 'n' crepe-y...

Oct 6, 2015 at 8:45 PM Post #9 of 485

You don't want to know. This thing sounded pretty horrible and the headband design was really stiff. If I was Hifiman I wouldn't even had brought it. It's in early development stages and imagine there will be a lot of changes. The wierd thing to me is that they plan on making this both a closed and open headphone with thier outer headphone design (the headphone face plates come off and are supposed to make the headphone open versus with them on they are closed).

Oct 6, 2015 at 10:22 PM Post #10 of 485
You don't want to know. This thing sounded pretty horrible and the headband design was really stiff. If I was Hifiman I wouldn't even had brought it. It's in early development stages and imagine there will be a lot of changes. The wierd thing to me is that they plan on making this both a closed and open headphone with thier outer headphone design (the headphone face plates come off and are supposed to make the headphone open versus with them on they are closed).

I'm hoping they tweak it a bit. From the sound of it, these are in pre-alpha stage. It's tough making a closed headphone sound good open, and vise-versa. If the plate makes it closed and is held by magnets, there's a good chance it won't have the best isolation.

I'm curious either way, but with any luck, someone from Hifiman may want to comment to clarify...

Oct 7, 2015 at 8:54 AM Post #11 of 485
Sounds like something I don't want. This is good news!

Oct 7, 2015 at 6:37 PM Post #14 of 485
I think I'm done with these new models being shown before they are ready. Like some 10 year-old kid flashing the ladies. I prefer things like MrSpeakers and the ZMF Omni, where you can always see the light at the end of the tunnel and the target is always in view.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back