Hifiman Edition S - NEW Closed Portable
Sep 16, 2016 at 1:27 PM Post #286 of 485
Zeos just made his HIfiman Edition S review public and gives a pretty glowing recommendation for use as a portable set of headphones.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0NqlVHoJFo

His video was the first time I realized that these aren't really on-ears. Hifiman did themselves a disservice by marketing them as such, because while I was very intrigued when I first heard about them and being able to convert from open to closed, once I read that they were on-ears I immediately dismissed them because I hate on-ears. Now I'm thinking about picking up a pair

IMHO HiFiman sales did themselves a great disservice by not mentioning these portables was over ear.
Not only are they over ear, but they are one of the most comfortable over ear headphones, if not THE MOST comfortable..
So they essentially overlooked by many who don't want an on ear model.

HiFiman also messed up by not renaming the new HE1000 V2 as a new model,
Because essentially it is...

Yet they are not the only ones who messed up...

Audeze Sine also screwed up by not making their model an over-ear.
They needed this especially because their model is smaller and heavier.
So it's all resting on the ears.

Also making the Sine look way too much luxurious kept me from taking mine outside,
because I was afraid to scratch the beautiful leather..(!)

Sep 16, 2016 at 6:04 PM Post #287 of 485
So I did end up ordering a pair of these headphones, got them today. Very very early impressions is that they sound great and they're very comfortable. Definitely over-ears by any reasonable definition. The pads were designed to accommodate the shape of an ear, which I like, and they're comfortable. Here's the size of the opening compared to my TH-X00s and PSB M4U 1s:

Sep 16, 2016 at 8:48 PM Post #288 of 485
So i edited the 2 exact bits from the Z-reviews demos of the Beyer T51i and the Edition S.
Thought maybe someone else finds it useful:https://www.sendspace.com/file/nnbhit
blink.gif

Sep 17, 2016 at 4:50 PM Post #289 of 485
I don't want to get into hyperbole, but is it crazy to think that the Edition S might be the best closed headphone AND the best open headphone under $300? Maybe under $400 for a closed headphone (based my time spent with PM-3's, MM400's, M4U 1's, HP50's, etc.). I've only had a day, there's more listening to go and I haven't burned them in obviously, but I'm seriously impressed in both configurations

Sep 18, 2016 at 1:16 PM Post #291 of 485
  interested to see how they compare to the MM400's?

I only had the MM400s for a couple weeks, I was very impressed but I had a problem with the left driver so I returned them. I'd say the MM400's had a more premium feel in terms of build and had more isolation. In terms of sound, I think the Edition S (closed) has better bass for my taste, better quality and more of it, and a bit more excitement in the highs and a little more detail. I'd probably give the Edition S an edge in soundstage and imaging too. And all of those things only improve when using them open

Sep 18, 2016 at 7:10 PM Post #292 of 485
thats a little surprising to be honest, I agree with you in the treble aspect but the Bass? I feel the MM-400's has one of the smoothest low-ends, not necessarily 'punchy' but rich and quite encompassing without getting too out-of-hand - it maybe something to do with the wooden cups?  
I guess it's a more intimate headphone than the Edition S. It's never going to beat an open back for soundstage and imaging but I've put some HM5 pads on them and they are actually pretty improved in those aspects. I even use those to game with the HM5 pads and they're great. Plus I absolutely love the build/construction of them. I'm a bit of a sucker for wood!

Sep 18, 2016 at 8:08 PM Post #293 of 485
  thats a little surprising to be honest, I agree with you in the treble aspect but the Bass? I feel the MM-400's has one of the smoothest low-ends, not necessarily 'punchy' but rich and quite encompassing without getting too out-of-hand - it maybe something to do with the wooden cups?  
I guess it's a more intimate headphone than the Edition S. It's never going to beat an open back for soundstage and imaging but I've put some HM5 pads on them and they are actually pretty improved in those aspects. I even use those to game with the HM5 pads and they're great. Plus I absolutely love the build/construction of them. I'm a bit of a sucker for wood!

Don't get me wrong, in the grand scheme of things I'd say these are only subtle improvements. The MM400s are great headphones, and I agree that the low-end they have is quite good. In fact if one already has the MM400s, I wouldn't recommend ditching them and getting the Edition S to use purely as a closed headphone, it wouldn't be enough of an upgrade to justify that, and as I said I like the build of the Denon's better. Now, if one were also gonna use these as an open headphone at home, then it becomes a more intriguing thought in my opinion, and that's the thing that really makes these headphone so compelling 

Sep 19, 2016 at 3:14 AM Post #294 of 485
So I did end up ordering a pair of these headphones, got them today. Very very early impressions is that they sound great and they're very comfortable. Definitely over-ears by any reasonable definition. The pads were designed to accommodate the shape of an ear, which I like, and they're comfortable. Here's the size of the opening compared to my TH-X00s and PSB M4U 1s:

:)

Also larger inner diameter than the PM2 and just as comfortable...

I don't want to get into hyperbole, but is it crazy to think that the Edition S might be the best closed headphone AND the best open headphone under $300? Maybe under $400 for a closed headphone (based my time spent with PM-3's, MM400's, M4U 1's, HP50's, etc.). I've only had a day, there's more listening to go and I haven't burned them in obviously, but I'm seriously impressed in both configurations

I was seriously impressed it held it's own on comparison to my best at the time,
An oppo PM2 modded and an Ultrasone ED5, their top model.

Here is my impressions post:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/783025/hifiman-edition-s-new-closed-portable/120_20#post_12682227

It is now my preferred portable, unless I need massive isolation for places like a train or bus.

Yet but still has some isolation with the cover on.

Sep 19, 2016 at 4:27 AM Post #295 of 485

Don't get me wrong, in the grand scheme of things I'd say these are only subtle improvements. The MM400s are great headphones, and I agree that the low-end they have is quite good. In fact if one already has the MM400s, I wouldn't recommend ditching them and getting the Edition S to use purely as a closed headphone, it wouldn't be enough of an upgrade to justify that, and as I said I like the build of the Denon's better. Now, if one were also gonna use these as an open headphone at home, then it becomes a more intriguing thought in my opinion, and that's the thing that really makes these headphone so compelling 

I'm using the MM-400's mainly in the office so I need that isolation, both inwards and outwards. I would like an open headphone but I think maybe something like SHP9500 would be a better choice and is less of an investment to see if I like open-back cans.

The build on them is absolutely first-class on the Denon's. One of the reasons why I bought them was because I actually head my last 2 pairs break on me. I had the Klipsch Status on-ear totally snap it headband and the PSB M4U1 who's headband started to fracture, so I decided to stay away form plastic altogether. Can't say I have any regrets about the MM-400's. The only thing is that the plug into the earcup is oval-shaped which makes finding replacement cables a bit of a challenge.

I was actually considering the Edition S at the same time but from reviews and forums, the Denon's didn't leak as much.

Sep 19, 2016 at 9:40 AM Post #296 of 485
Yeah I have Meze99. I usually keep my hifiman edition S at home. On transit like a bus or light rail quite a bit of details are lost. But in school the the magnetic slides reduce most leakage but you can definitely hear it if you try.

I take meze whenever Im out and about.

Imma try to bring Hifiman Edition S to my college again. We have independant study as an activity today. So we research and study alone.
So this gives me a chance to test out Hifiman leakage with sliders on again.

Sep 22, 2016 at 10:02 AM Post #297 of 485
I was too curious about the Edition S so just ordered from Amazon (only $240) and will have them by tomorrow.   The open/close option is really cool, as I am looking for a dynamic headphone for both portable and for home use.  It was been this or the Meze.  They both get great reviews though.   We'll see....

Sep 22, 2016 at 10:08 AM Post #298 of 485
I was too curious about the Edition S so just ordered from Amazon (only $240) and will have them by tomorrow.   The open/close option is really cool, as I am looking for a dynamic headphone for both portable and for home use.  It was been this or the Meze.  They both get great reviews though.   We'll see....

I like them both! I hope you like edition S too. Give your impressions after you listen to them.

I prefer meze's isolation. But hifiman edition S is comfortable too. Sound leakage is really gone on Hifiman edition S with the magnetic plates on.

In a classroom during independant study. I pushed the earcups together, you have to try really hard to hear anything from them.

Sep 22, 2016 at 10:34 AM Post #299 of 485
Honestly, the Ed S reminds me of a baby HD700...  I'm sure there are closer comparisons, but it feels like a portable version of one so far.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back