Hifiman DEVA - Official Thread
Jun 4, 2022 at 10:56 PM Post #946 of 984
Sorry, didn't realize it saved that whole strip, let's try this again... :)

DevaProCopy.PNG

Essentially, you are trying to drive a SE set of cans with a balanced connection. This could potentially be dangerous to not only the head gear, but your source as well... :frowning2:

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2022 at 11:32 PM Post #947 of 984
Direct wired (even a SE connection) sounds slightly better to me. Sadly, the USB connection is limited to 48kHz/16bit.
I guess it depends what DAC you have. Computer on-board sound is usually not good.
Actually, USB audio on OG Deva Bluemini is limited to 24/192 as seen here From the Hifiman site:

DevaUSBOption.PNG

16/48 IS the limitation in android though, but if you use something like UAPP, it has a built-in driver that bypasses the android limitation (among other hacks or apps). :)

Last edited:
Jun 5, 2022 at 11:19 AM Post #949 of 984
Sorry, didn't realize it saved that whole strip, let's try this again... :)

Essentially, you are trying to drive a SE set of cans with a balanced connection. This could potentially be dangerous to not only the head gear, but your source as well... :frowning2:
I think that you don't really understand what's going on there.
The cans are "balanced", because their four wires are fully separated inside, all the way to the TRRS jack. Only the SE cable (that comes in the original box) joins two of the wires to the common ground. A truly balanced cable, with a correct TRRS jack, has no reason why would do any "shorting" like you are stating.
Now, if you choose to use different jacks than TRRS, that's on you.
PS: The right side Mini-XLR is just an example, obviously it will depend on your actual balanced amplifier connection.

HC-2_Wiring_Diagram.png

Last edited:
Jun 5, 2022 at 1:04 PM Post #950 of 984
Jun 5, 2022 at 1:14 PM Post #951 of 984
I think that you don't really understand what's going on there.
The cans are "balanced", because their four wires are fully separated inside, all the way to the TRRS jack. Only the SE cable (that comes in the original box) joins two of the wires to the common ground. A truly balanced cable, with a correct TRRS jack, has no reason why would do any "shorting" like you are stating.
Now, if you choose to use different jacks than TRRS, that's on you.
PS: The right side Mini-XLR is just an example, obviously it will depend on your actual balanced amplifier connection.

I actually DO understand what is going on there, and you can look at the diagram, and even on the cups to find this out. The left cup is even marked TRRS, where the other is NOT. Using a TRRS or TRS (single) cable on the left cup only will allow safe balanced or SE connection. Using TRRS dual cable on both cups will indeed short them out as they are not wired to be balanced on the right cup.

Don't believe me though, ask Hifiman, and/or use a dual balanced cable if you like. I am only trying to help those that didn't know and keep someone from damaging their source gear. I have no skin in the game, because I have the OG Deva which only has the single connection, and it IS indeed balanced, so I can run either cable I like with no consequences.

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2022 at 11:11 AM Post #952 of 984
Using TRRS dual cable on both cups will indeed short them out as they are not wired to be balanced on the right cup.
WHO suggested that??? Why would you plug in the right side a TRRS jack?
You are suggesting that and then argue that's somehow a "hidden fault" of the headphones.

Anyone needs to read the manual and... use common sense.

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2022 at 5:36 PM Post #953 of 984
WHO suggested that??? Why would you plug in the right side a TRRS jack?
You are suggesting that and then argue that's somehow a "hidden fault" of the headphones.

Anyone needs to read the manual and... use common sense.
This is who suggested it (and the replies to it as well):
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/earbuds-round-up.441400/page-4101

They were trying to use a dual TRRS cable in both cups and not knowing why they were only getting normal sound from the left cup (did you watch the video). Maybe you didn't read all the posts and you weren't understanding why I posted as I did (and on the Deva Pro thread also). And I never said anything about it being a hidden fault (please show me where I did), only that it is actually a poor design choice IMO, that can cause a lot of confusion for people that may/may not know about TRS vs TRRS.

Jun 9, 2022 at 3:41 PM Post #954 of 984
I wasn't trying to defend that position, I was just speaking from a normal use position.
I don't know how we got discussing into that tangent, because that link is not even related to those headphones and has 4100 posts... :eyes:

Jun 28, 2022 at 4:48 AM Post #956 of 984
del

Last edited:
Sep 15, 2022 at 12:13 PM Post #957 of 984
Could someone kindly take a moment to explain to me EXACTLY how to take the ear pads off these things?
I've been fiddling with it for ages, and it's nothing like the old system, or anything else... and the documentation leaflet doesn't give anything close to a clear description how to do it.

I really feel like I'm going to break something if I force it... and this is coming from a guy who has disassembled LITERALLY HUNDREDS of headphones...

(bloody hifiman at it again... this insane proprietary BS ... I will never purchase anything hifiman ever again... grrrrr >.< (rant over) )

Sep 15, 2022 at 12:31 PM Post #958 of 984
Could someone kindly take a moment to explain to me EXACTLY how to take the ear pads off these things?
I've been fiddling with it for ages, and it's nothing like the old system, or anything else... and the documentation leaflet doesn't give anything close to a clear description how to do it.

I really feel like I'm going to break something if I force it... and this is coming from a guy who has disassembled LITERALLY HUNDREDS of headphones...

(bloody hifiman at it again... this insane proprietary BS ... I will never purchase anything hifiman ever again... grrrrr >.< (rant over) )

I don't have them with me but I'm almost sure it's one of those push and turn counter clockwise about 1/4 inch and they will pull off. I'll check later today if someone doesn't clarify it by then.

Sep 15, 2022 at 12:32 PM Post #959 of 984

Have you considered trying what is suggested on this video? IIRC the Deva is considered the little brother of the Sundara, and is made similarly?! Anyhow, this is the closest I could find for removing the pads for the Deva:

Sep 15, 2022 at 12:46 PM Post #960 of 984
I don't have them with me but I'm almost sure it's one of those push and turn counter clockwise about 1/4 inch and they will pull off. I'll check later today if someone doesn't clarify it by then.
Unfortunately it's not that.

Have you considered trying what is suggested on this video? IIRC the Deva is considered the little brother of the Sundara, and is made similarly?! Anyhow, this is the closest I could find for removing the pads for the Deva:

Hmm, I was going to try the credit-card trick mentioned near the end of the video, but there is NO gap between the headphone and ear pad, so I can't slip a card in between >.<

Thanks for the quick responses so far :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back