Hifiman DEVA - Official Thread
Apr 26, 2022 at 5:17 PM Post #916 of 984
I got directed here from another thread, so here goes: I have a set of the wired Deva Pro and I want to add the Bluemini R2R but Hifiman wants $200 for it stand alone which seems pretty steep. Anyone have one they want to move? I’m in the market if so.

Apr 26, 2022 at 5:34 PM Post #917 of 984
I got directed here from another thread, so here goes: I have a set of the wired Deva Pro and I want to add the Bluemini R2R but Hifiman wants $200 for it stand alone which seems pretty steep. Anyone have one they want to move? I’m in the market if so.
Which I find ridiculous considering the bundle for both is $300....

Apr 28, 2022 at 9:25 AM Post #919 of 984
I have bought the bundle at a discount indeed. And even if I don't use the Bluemini R2R I would not think pass the discount to the eventual buyer.
So the asking price would be closer of the.list price.
But this is theoretical, is nice I don't really want to go through hassle of selling.
Last item I sold on eBay I got a claim on it that wasn't as advertised (luckily I had a video of packing) and the fees that eBay plus PayPal took out, combined with shipping and insurance, made it not worth my time and energy. I don't know how stores are surviving there.

May 30, 2022 at 8:02 AM Post #920 of 984
Hi guys!
Please share your experience if you tried balanced connection for regular DEVA.

The regular DEVA can't be a true balanced headphones while having a single jack and only a single cable that connects left and right parts, so the left and right channels can't be controlled separately. But they use an interesting figure of speech in manual, mentioning balanced "connection" instead, thus I wanted to ask if DEVA will have any benefit from using a balanced cable and balanced source? I mean the balanced part will stop somewhere between jack and drivers, this might slightly improve the control, but will it? Let me know if someone really hears the difference, coz I'm not really sure the investment in cable would worth it. (Or am I missing something?)

DX220 amp1mk2

Last edited:
May 30, 2022 at 8:13 AM Post #921 of 984
Hi guys!
Please share your experience if you tried balanced connection for regular DEVA.

The regular DEVA can't be a true balanced headphones while having a single jack and only a single cable that connects left and right parts, so the left and right channels can't be controlled separately. But they use an interesting figure of speech in manual, mentioning balanced "connection" instead, thus I wanted to ask if DEVA will have any benefit from using a balanced cable and balanced source? I mean the balanced part will stop somewhere between jack and drivers, this might slightly improve the control, but will it? Let me know if someone really hears the difference, coz I'm not really sure the investment in cable would worth it.

DX220 amp1mk2
I have used balanced cables with the Deva OG and had no problem. Used 3,5 mm balanced, 2,5 and 4,4 mm. All worked great with all my gear and benefitted from the increase of power from the balanced output.

May 30, 2022 at 8:16 AM Post #922 of 984
I have used balanced cables with the Deva OG and had no problem. Used 3,5 mm balanced, 2,5 and 4,4 mm. All worked great with all my gear and benefitted from the increase of power from the balanced output.
Thanks, but were there any improvement in sound? They do excellent with SE with dx220, there's no lack in power.

May 30, 2022 at 8:17 AM Post #923 of 984
The regular DEVA can't be a true balanced headphones while having a single jack and only a single cable that connects left and right parts,
Why not? Balanced needs only two wires per side.
The left side jack has four "contact places" for those wires - (1) one Tip + (2) two Rings + (1) one Sleeve - TRRS.

Last edited:
May 30, 2022 at 8:26 AM Post #924 of 984
Why not? Balanced needs only two wires per side.
That jack has four "contact places" for those wires - one Tip and two Rings and one Sleeve - TRRS.
Yep, but there's a single cable running from left monitor to right. Do you think it has 2 cores then?

May 30, 2022 at 8:35 AM Post #926 of 984
Thanks, but were there any improvement in sound? They do excellent with SE with dx220, there's no lack in power.
As I said. The main benefit is more power. It's up to you to judge if they sound better. The Devas aren't easy to drive at all. So I bet that it's better to use the balanced output of that Ibasso DAP.

May 30, 2022 at 8:47 AM Post #927 of 984
or just a simple twisted pair
Actually this might be the case and they really have + and - for each speaker then. Interesting if anyone actually checked this. Thanks!

It's up to you to judge
Seems like I have to find a cable somewhere to borrow then prior to buying, thanks for the input.

Last edited:
May 30, 2022 at 9:56 AM Post #928 of 984
Actually this might be the case and they really have + and - for each speakers then.
It really doesn't matter. Even a shielded cable with one core can carry the balanced signal... not purity balanced indeed, but from one cup to another is really not relevant. Especially at such a low impedance (16 ohm), it won't pick-um any stray EMF.
This is the connecting cable between cups, it can be either twisted pair or coax, can't tell:
20220530_094906.jpg

WIN_20220530_09_52_20_Pro.jpg

Last edited:
May 30, 2022 at 4:20 PM Post #929 of 984
Actually this might be the case and they really have + and - for each speaker then. Interesting if anyone actually checked this. Thanks!

Seems like I have to find a cable somewhere to borrow then prior to buying, thanks for the input.
It is a balanced jack, they use a type of 3.5 plug that is different than a standard headphone one with an extra ring (TRRS vs standard TRS). Hart Audio sells a great aftermarket one with their cable system that works great (see https://hartaudiocables.com/collections/headphone-cables/products/hc-2-3-5mm-trrs for the pinout diagram). The benefit is extra power from most DAPs or dongles, and I find that the Deva really shines with more power. Can you get the same basic impact from a powerful single ended amp? Absolutely. But they usually aren't quite so portable.

May 31, 2022 at 10:25 AM Post #930 of 984
It is a balanced jack, they use a type of 3.5 plug that is different than a standard headphone one with an extra ring (TRRS vs standard TRS). Hart Audio sells a great aftermarket one with their cable system that works great (see https://hartaudiocables.com/collections/headphone-cables/products/hc-2-3-5mm-trrs for the pinout diagram). The benefit is extra power from most DAPs or dongles, and I find that the Deva really shines with more power. Can you get the same basic impact from a powerful single ended amp? Absolutely. But they usually aren't quite so portable.

Yep, I know, I have them : ) I was questioning not the jack, but further connectivity between cups, which Sonic67 pretty much answered.

Can you please be more specific, what you mean by "Deva really shines with more power" - does it reveal more details or did you notice other change in sound? While I'm waiting for my cable, I expect that it will increase the control of drivers, because i have no issues with power so far.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back