Hifiman DEVA - Official Thread
Feb 10, 2022 at 9:52 PM Post #886 of 984
Here is the text for the Driver that you downloaded:

The driver is necessary for using USB DAC function on computer using OS below Windows10 including Windows 8, Windows 7 and Windows XP.
For Windows 10 or iOS laptop/PC, there‘s no need to setup.
After setup completed, please restart the computer and disconnect all the USB devices.
Please make sure of your system and drivers of mainboard/USB have been installed correctly. HIFIMAN can not promise all the PC/laptop can run the USB DAC function without problems.

So, it appears that you DO indeed have the right setup without the driver.

Feb 11, 2022 at 3:11 AM Post #887 of 984
Like I said, the MS generic USB driver does not have other options.

1644567080798.png

1644567308773.png
1644567382572.png

Last edited:
Feb 11, 2022 at 5:14 PM Post #889 of 984
And this is what happens with the drivers provided by HIFIMAN, I guess they are for the "other" Bluemini module, not for the R2R one?

Maybe the R2R is not capable of higher??? I have the Bluemini II from the OG Deva and mine works fine as seen with photos:

DevaSoundDrivers.png

DevaSoundProperties.png

It is for all Bluemini but is meant for earlier versions of Windows than 10.

Last edited:
Feb 11, 2022 at 7:13 PM Post #891 of 984
Where did you got your drivers? Was it detected automatically by Windows?
I tried to use, and didn't work for me: https://hifiman.com/services

1644623996876.png
Yes, it was automatically detected by Windows.

And yes, that is the only driver for the Bluemini, but it is ONLY used for OS'es older than Windows 10. So It will NOT work in Windows 10 for the Bluemini, Bluemini II, or the Bluemini R2R.

It could be that the R2R is not capable of that high of a bitrate through USB (though I somehow doubt that one)?! Or it could be something that has changed in the Microsoft driver. If you notice the date for my driver, it is 2019. I turn off all driver updates through "Windows Update" feature and install my own if/when needed (I only allow feature and security updates). I don't know how useful that information is, but it is something I noticed different in your system from mine.

Have you tried looking at just your regular output bitrates (without USB-audio connected) to see if you can set it higher in your regular system? Also, have you tried uninstalling the iBasso driver, and rebooting, and trying it again?

Feb 11, 2022 at 9:34 PM Post #892 of 984
Of course the other devices can set higher bit and sampling rates. They have different drivers.
MS Windows has two types of USB audio drivers - Class 1 and Class 2. What I get is the generic Class 1.
I need the Class 2.0: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/drivers/audio/usb-2-0-audio-drivers

For now, I am listening trough my Sound Blaster ZxR, with the hardware headphone volume almost to the max (about 80%) and the windows digital volume at 100%.
I can get an amp, but it's sad that I can't use maximum capabilities of the R2R DAC with USB on PC.

PS: Probably on Android is the same limitation - I used a USB C-C cable and it worked with my Galaxy S21+ but I can't tell what bit and SR uses.
Ah, and yes the Bluetooth connection with LDAC can do 24 bit 96 kHz, but "Quality" connection it's much stable at 48kHz.

Last edited:
Feb 11, 2022 at 9:48 PM Post #893 of 984
Of course the other devices can set higher bit and sampling rates. They have different drivers.
MS Windows has two types of USB audio drivers - Class 1 and Class 2. What I get is the generic Class 1.
I'm aware that it should be able to do that. I was only suggesting a step to make sure you aren't having audio issue with your system (another windows issue).

Then you could try installing the driver from here.

Feb 12, 2022 at 6:59 AM Post #894 of 984
I got the official answer in an email from Hifiman tech:

The main difference outside is the R2R logo on the outside casing, you may find it in attached pic. And inside Bluemini, Bluetooth module and battery no difference, the biggest difference is we changed to use our own DAC - HYMALAYA as we announced what we are using for HM901R and HM800. So it will be the first Bluetooth mini DAC using R2R structure. Improving the sound quality (on THD and SNR) and battery consumption. They can feel better sound quality via Bluetooth and the battery life will be 8 hours (LDAC,with mobile phone normal volume).

Bluemini R2R will not support microphone in USB mode and, in USB mode can only support up to 16bit/48kHz.
Mystery solved.

Last edited:
Feb 12, 2022 at 8:16 AM Post #895 of 984
I got the official answer in an email from Hifiman tech:

Mystery solved.
That kinda' sucks, but way to stick with it until you found the answer! I wonder if they just suppose that people don't use USB-Audio with these, so they didn't bother making it more capable, or if it was some other constraints that were not avoidable?

As for myself, I don't listen through USB often, but they are (noticeably) at their best when using this mode (for the OG pair anyhow).

Feb 12, 2022 at 10:56 AM Post #896 of 984
That kinda' sucks, but way to stick with it until you found the answer! I wonder if they just suppose that people don't use USB-Audio with these, so they didn't bother making it more capable, or if it was some other constraints that were not avoidable?

As for myself, I don't listen through USB often, but they are (noticeably) at their best when using this mode (for the OG pair anyhow).

wow I can't believe that I have those limitations in usb Deva Pro R2R, I have og deva and that was a quality that I use and enjoy so much together with bt too, I was about to acquire the pro version, and I was totally unaware of this detail, I use it too much for usb to lose that quality

a huge step back, very disappointed to hear this.

Feb 12, 2022 at 3:34 PM Post #897 of 984
Majority of my FLAC files are CD quality, so 48kHz and 16 bit is probably fine. I have just a few albums that are HQ and really higher bandwidth than those 20kHz, verified on foobar2000. I also have some files at 96kHz or DSD level, but they don't pass 20kHz limit. Even if being labeled as "re-mastering". Probably the original tapes are not available anymore... but I digress.

Feb 12, 2022 at 7:39 PM Post #898 of 984
Majority of my FLAC files are CD quality, so 48kHz and 16 bit is probably fine. I have just a few albums that are HQ and really higher bandwidth than those 20kHz, verified on foobar2000. I also have some files at 96kHz or DSD level, but they don't pass 20kHz limit. Even if being labeled as "re-mastering". Probably the original tapes are not available anymore... but I digress.
Yeah I know what you mean. I have an ever-growing collection of DSD or 24/96 (or higher) FLAC files (and a few DVD-Audio), and really like how they sound from USB-Audio, but I am perfectly content to listen via BT or cable from my DX300. I don't often listen from my PC or laptop.

I am still trying to replace my collection of 128 .mp3's from back in the day when memory was at a premium. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Feb 12, 2022 at 8:32 PM Post #899 of 984
I either listen at my PC via SB ZxR (great headphone amp) or streaming via Google Chromecast Audio to my Denon DVD-5000, used as DAC (has SPDIF inputs). That is one of the last PCM1704K DACs out there (with decent headphone amp too).
I tried the Bluemini R2R and it works OK, but I think I didn't really needed it. Oh, well...

Last edited:
Feb 12, 2022 at 8:39 PM Post #900 of 984
I either listen at my PC via SB ZxR (great headphone amp) or streaming via Google Chromecast Audio to my Denon DVD-5000, used as DAC (has SPDIF inputs). That is one of the last PCM1704K DACs out there (with decent headphone amp too).
I tried the Bluemini R2R and it works OK, but I think I didn't really needed it. Oh, well...
Sounds like you are all set for some good sound. Every now and again I will use coax out on the DX300 to my home amp, and it sounds great, but nowadays I use IEMs/headphones/earbuds more often than not.

It is a good thing that the headphones are good then... :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back