Hifiman Ananda
Feb 13, 2022 at 9:14 AM Post #4,426 of 4,987
Focals, for example, are usually very popular, and I hate all the models I've tried.

I have very peculiar tastes... :sunglasses:
not really, every time I see someone say a focal has slam or punch I giggle and wonder what planars have they heard

Has Ananda really more bass with the Dekoni Fenestrated?
Isn't it usually one of the characteristics of the fenestrated pads to reduce the bass and increase the scene?
it doesn't have more bass(a little but slightly), the iFi Micro BL has a bass switch that hits 20Hz with a 10db boost and tapers down to about 200Hz I think

Feb 13, 2022 at 10:39 AM Post #4,427 of 4,987
not really, every time I see someone say a focal has slam or punch I giggle and wonder what planars have they heard

it doesn't have more bass(a little but slightly), the iFi Micro BL has a bass switch that hits 20Hz with a 10db boost and tapers down to about 200Hz I think
Ah OK, I have the iFi hip dac with that switch.

But I want to know the effect of the Dekoni Fenestrated pads in the Ananda, if they add or reduce some bass, etc...
These pads are expensive, and if I am thinking in buying them, I want to know that in this particular case (Ananda) they don't reduce any bass (which is the effect that the Fenestrated Pads usually have).

Last edited:
Feb 13, 2022 at 10:43 AM Post #4,428 of 4,987
Ah OK, I have the iFi hip dac with that switch.

But I want to know the effect of the Dekoni Fenestrated pads in the Ananda, if they add or reduce some bass, etc...
These pads are expensive, and if I am thinking in buying them, I want to know that in this particular case (Ananda) they don't reduce any bass (which is the effect that the Fenestrated Pads usually have).
I did a very long and verbose review a few pages back
if you want to be forced to make a decision part of the way thru reading, just so you don't have to finish it, and enjoy mild torture, or (receiving end)BDSM, I strongly suggest forcing yourself to see how much incoherent rambling you can tolerate and read it :)

Last edited:
Feb 13, 2022 at 12:14 PM Post #4,429 of 4,987
Focals, for example, are usually very popular, and I hate all the models I've tried.

I have very peculiar tastes... :sunglasses:
Yeah not a fan in general although the Clear is good to me. Don't like most German cans. Do like some Senn's. LCD-4, Susvara, Voce, Final Audio... Now you're talking. 🗽

Feb 14, 2022 at 1:25 PM Post #4,430 of 4,987
Couple weeks in of listening with the balanced cable... the Ananda can be technically impressive sometimes. Occassionally there's an album that drops my jaw. Overall it is more refined than the HEXv2 but not necessarily more enjoyable for long listening sessions. A percentage of albums are simply too grainy. Now, some of that could be my amp (An Apex Sangaku whose nutubes could be reaching the end of their life) or dac (a Schiit Bifrost v1... which is likely the weak link in the system and something I've contemplated upgrading).

The thing is the XS is supposed to be brighter so... not really sure where to go from here. If it is higher quality treble that might be okay, perhaps I could EQ it. Guess I could try pad rolling.

Feb 14, 2022 at 1:27 PM Post #4,431 of 4,987
Couple weeks in of listening with the balanced cable... the Ananda can be technically impressive sometimes. Occassionally there's an album that drops my jaw. Overall it is more refined than the HEXv2 but not necessarily more enjoyable for long listening sessions. A percentage of albums are simply too grainy. Now, some of that could be my amp (An Apex Sangaku whose nutubes could be reaching the end of their life) or dac (a Schiit Bifrost v1... which is likely the weak link in the system and something I've contemplated upgrading).

The thing is the XS is supposed to be brighter so... not really sure where to go from here. If it is higher quality treble that might be okay, perhaps I could EQ it. Guess I could try pad rolling.
Go DEKFEN, it's crazy good and crazy how much performance AND clarity was left on the table, like Dr.Jekyll and Mr.Hyde and somehow still retains some of the magic

can safely say without having tried the XS from them being close, Zeos is correct, this destroys default Ananda and thus the XS is irrelevant as well

For you there is more clarity than grain added(but there is some added) but the swap makes it worth it, and if you pair it with a very smooth amp like my Oppo HA-1 it's just crazy good all over with so much performance unlocked

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2022 at 2:07 PM Post #4,432 of 4,987
Correct pads arrived at the end of last week! Thanks to HFM customer service for sending me the correct pads and letting me keep the old ones. Exterior dimensions are the same, but the 'correct' pads have a slightly bigger interior dimension. So the pad is about 2mm thinner all the way around. The depth seems to be about the same. And of course the 'correct' pads don't have the cloth dust cover. An interesting note - the newer pads look like they come off the factory line with more clips, half of which get cut off to equate to the same number of clips as the old style.

Sound wise - the lack of cloth results in more of the high frequencies to actually come through. Before acoustic instruments sounded slightly artificially muted. Especially pianos sounded unnaturally warm and tubby. Having more high frequencies balances that out to be more natural, though still warm leaning due to the flat response from 100hz-1khz, which tends to sound warmer than neutral IMO. (BTW, that opinion is founded by the fact I record acoustic performances for a living so I am very aware of what my recordings 'should' sound like). Soundstage wise is about the same, but imaging is different, I can't exactly say what is different.

Overall headphone impressions after two weeks - This is the most organic soundstage I have heard (havent auditioned any high end headphones). More so than the bigger soundstage, the imaging feels spot on. Instruments have good width to them. The recordings I have done strike a very good balance with separation and blend. Much more natural than my HD600's, which feel like the center of an instruments sound is strong, but with an uneven blend from the instruments center to the rest of the soundstage. The imaging is very lifelike, assuming the recording was captured well. The sense of depth is also really amazing. Though I actually find it more distracting than good, because it makes me realize the flaws of microphone placement more than I'd like.

FR is meh. It's almost natural, but like I said before there should be more upper mids than lower mids to my ears. A good example of this is a piano because the very low strings have a LOT of harmonics. The higher notes sound natural, but the lower harmonically rich strings dont come across as rich as they would in person. Of course EQ'ing the 1.5k dip helps, but I find I need to EQ 150-300hz as well by just a db or two. THEN the harmonic proportion feels really close to natural! I dont find the treble ever sibilant or harsh. Interestingly, the 1.5k dip has unpredictable effects on drum kits. Some kits really disappear in the dip, others are brought out by the 3-5k emphasis. The only time the treble ever feels off is in modern vocals. The usage of bright sounding vocal mics in a mix for presence can really come across as thin due to the 1.5k dip and then emphasis in the same areas these bright microphones are emphasizing (6-10kHz). It doesn't bother me that much because modern vocals aren't really recorded to prioritize naturalness in the first place.

Transients/Dynamics are disappointing across the entire frequency range. The presentation is soft and dynamics aren't reproduced in an exciting way. I don't feel excited by rhythmically complex guitars or drums because of the softer transients. Timpani's sound unnatural because there isnt enough transient. In general, the louder the transient is supposed to be, the less it's there. A quiet piano sounds fine, but the moments something grandiose is played, the attack of the hammer hitting the string doesnt feel right. It feels smoothed and unpercussive. This is not just slam from LF, this is across the board.

I really love how immersive the sound is. It's so addicting! But this is not a natural sounding headphone IMO. Perhaps those less familiar with how acoustic instruments sound like wont be so bothered by its inadequate properties. At least now I know I need to save up for an HD800, especially since I am not treble sensitive.
20220215_130135.jpg
20220215_130226.jpg
20220215_130239.jpg

Feb 15, 2022 at 5:24 PM Post #4,433 of 4,987
Finally hooked up the Ananda (with Deknoi Elite fenestrated) to the bel canto e.One c5i DAC/integrated (running directly from the speaker outputs). It is a very, very good match and the two sound very, very good together. This is the best I have heard from the Ananda so far--better than the HE-6sev.2 (w/Grill Mod), IMHO.

The bel canto does have a (single-ended) headphone out that I may try later. But right now conditions are "just right" as-is.

Will be selling off my (Elear and HE-6sev.2) headphones, keeping only the Ananda and the Stax SR-L500 Mk.2. Will be saving up for the SR-L700 Mk.2.

Feb 15, 2022 at 7:40 PM Post #4,434 of 4,987
FR is meh. It's almost natural, but like I said before there should be more upper mids than lower mids to my ears.....

Transients/Dynamics are disappointing across the entire frequency range.
The presentation is soft and dynamics aren't reproduced in an exciting way. I don't feel excited by rhythmically complex guitars or drums because of the softer transients...
DEKFEN
:sunglasses:

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2022 at 1:24 AM Post #4,435 of 4,987
Correct pads arrived at the end of last week! Thanks to HFM customer service for sending me the correct pads and letting me keep the old ones. Exterior dimensions are the same, but the 'correct' pads have a slightly bigger interior dimension. So the pad is about 2mm thinner all the way around. The depth seems to be about the same. And of course the 'correct' pads don't have the cloth dust cover. An interesting note - the newer pads look like they come off the factory line with more clips, half of which get cut off to equate to the same number of clips as the old style.

Sound wise - the lack of cloth results in more of the high frequencies to actually come through. Before acoustic instruments sounded slightly artificially muted. Especially pianos sounded unnaturally warm and tubby. Having more high frequencies balances that out to be more natural, though still warm leaning due to the flat response from 100hz-1khz, which tends to sound warmer than neutral IMO. (BTW, that opinion is founded by the fact I record acoustic performances for a living so I am very aware of what my recordings 'should' sound like). Soundstage wise is about the same, but imaging is different, I can't exactly say what is different.

Overall headphone impressions after two weeks - This is the most organic soundstage I have heard (havent auditioned any high end headphones). More so than the bigger soundstage, the imaging feels spot on. Instruments have good width to them. The recordings I have done strike a very good balance with separation and blend. Much more natural than my HD600's, which feel like the center of an instruments sound is strong, but with an uneven blend from the instruments center to the rest of the soundstage. The imaging is very lifelike, assuming the recording was captured well. The sense of depth is also really amazing. Though I actually find it more distracting than good, because it makes me realize the flaws of microphone placement more than I'd like.

FR is meh. It's almost natural, but like I said before there should be more upper mids than lower mids to my ears. A good example of this is a piano because the very low strings have a LOT of harmonics. The higher notes sound natural, but the lower harmonically rich strings dont come across as rich as they would in person. Of course EQ'ing the 1.5k dip helps, but I find I need to EQ 150-300hz as well by just a db or two. THEN the harmonic proportion feels really close to natural! I dont find the treble ever sibilant or harsh. Interestingly, the 1.5k dip has unpredictable effects on drum kits. Some kits really disappear in the dip, others are brought out by the 3-5k emphasis. The only time the treble ever feels off is in modern vocals. The usage of bright sounding vocal mics in a mix for presence can really come across as thin due to the 1.5k dip and then emphasis in the same areas these bright microphones are emphasizing (6-10kHz). It doesn't bother me that much because modern vocals aren't really recorded to prioritize naturalness in the first place.

Transients/Dynamics are disappointing across the entire frequency range. The presentation is soft and dynamics aren't reproduced in an exciting way. I don't feel excited by rhythmically complex guitars or drums because of the softer transients. Timpani's sound unnatural because there isnt enough transient. In general, the louder the transient is supposed to be, the less it's there. A quiet piano sounds fine, but the moments something grandiose is played, the attack of the hammer hitting the string doesnt feel right. It feels smoothed and unpercussive. This is not just slam from LF, this is across the board.

I really love how immersive the sound is. It's so addicting! But this is not a natural sounding headphone IMO. Perhaps those less familiar with how acoustic instruments sound like wont be so bothered by its inadequate properties. At least now I know I need to save up for an HD800, especially since I am not treble sensitive.
20220215_130135.jpg20220215_130226.jpg20220215_130239.jpg
Absolutely the best review/opinion i've seen on the internet about Ananda. Exactly my thoughts. You have good ears and taste my friend.

I miss my Ananda. I hope i can solve the problem with customer service and get my Ananda back. Their only payment method is Paypal and we can't use paypal in our country so i'm stuck. I can't pay to get a replacement for my dead Ananda.

Feb 16, 2022 at 4:27 PM Post #4,436 of 4,987
Oh my, just got an Asgard 3 in today. Previous posts were not joking about the benefits of the right amp pairing. There is so much more texture, tactility, and depth! Of course dynamics aren't really better, but this is all in on the immersion front and it's glorious.

So a headphone that was designed to work from any source seems to care a lot more about source than headphones notorious for being amp picky. My HD600's don't care about amp pairing as much as these.

Feb 17, 2022 at 12:24 AM Post #4,438 of 4,987
Oh my, just got an Asgard 3 in today. Previous posts were not joking about the benefits of the right amp pairing. There is so much more texture, tactility, and depth! Of course dynamics aren't really better, but this is all in on the immersion front and it's glorious.

So a headphone that was designed to work from any source seems to care a lot more about source than headphones notorious for being amp picky. My HD600's don't care about amp pairing as much as these.
The HEXv2 had a similar temperament. It was billed as 'easy to drive' and better for portable or low power gear. Most mid-grade portable amps that I tried it on didn't have the current swing to handle such a large planar and it sounded hazy and frankly bad from most of it. It benefited significantly from a proper desktop amp and it improved noticeably on higher end amps. The Ananda is slightly easier to drive, but clean power is clean power nonetheless.

Feb 17, 2022 at 2:42 AM Post #4,439 of 4,987
I’m just gonna call it now- after a week of comparing and listening, about 5 years of continuous buying and selling, and listening to 10+ high end over ear headphones, ananda is THE ONE.

That’s not a light statement, I’ve thought I’ve gotten close, but this ones the real deal and best balance and combination of factors that are important to me.

Many have come close, but this is the one. I’m out boys, mark my words.

Unless it dies on me. Please don’t die on me.

Still true. Along with he6se v2

Users who are viewing this thread

Back