Hifiman Ananda
Jan 27, 2022 at 4:12 AM Post #4,306 of 4,987
Jan 27, 2022 at 8:53 AM Post #4,307 of 4,987
Here's a shot of the exposed wire at the connection point for the 3.5mm jack. (Hope the resolution hasn't suffered too much with zooming.)
You can see the soldered end of the wire through the notch.
My bet is that the connection was broken, not necessarily the driver (but I could be wrong).

1643291488382.png
1643291251393.png

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2022 at 9:26 AM Post #4,308 of 4,987
HiFiMan Customer Service, to their credit, responded to my request for replacement earpad(s). Thankfully, the seller sent me a copy of the original receipt from The HiFiMan Store, dated 16 June 2021. I sent HFM an image of that and of the Ananda's serial number from the leftside driver. Hopefully, the warranty coverage is transferrable and . . . Deo volente . . .

Dear customer,

Sorry to hear that. If you could send me a pic of your receipt and serial number then I can confirm your warranty status. Also, if you could give me your name, address and phone number for shipping, so that I can give you the right info.

Thank you.

Catherine

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2022 at 12:33 PM Post #4,309 of 4,987
That's rotten luck. Considering there are decades old planars and electrostats floating around that still work, that people put up for sale used, it's not a limitation of the technology. Reason enough right there I would never invest in an Arya or HE1000. Imagine one of those dying.

Jan 27, 2022 at 12:55 PM Post #4,310 of 4,987
That's rotten luck. Considering there are decades old planars and electrostats floating around that still work, that people put up for sale used, it's not a limitation of the technology. Reason enough right there I would never invest in an Arya or HE1000. Imagine one of those dying.
Do Hifiman headphones have more failures than other brands?

Jan 27, 2022 at 1:56 PM Post #4,312 of 4,987
Audeze has similar issues from what I've heard.
Thanks for your answer. Just curious, does low reliability affect all Hifiman models or is it specific to any particular model?

Jan 27, 2022 at 10:14 PM Post #4,313 of 4,987
1 year warranty is a red flag imo. Audeze seems better. Audeze build is definitely better.
The german ones are the best though. They last decades. Their design is clever and thought out. Spare parts are accessible and you can disassemble/reassemble the thing.
Ananda is so ridiculous it's own yoke scratches and damages it's own plastic earcup. The ring that holds the driver in place doesn't fit well. I don't even wanna talk about the headband design and earpads.

Jan 27, 2022 at 11:36 PM Post #4,315 of 4,987
1 year warranty is a red flag imo. Audeze seems better. Audeze build is definitely better.
The german ones are the best though. They last decades. Their design is clever and thought out. Spare parts are accessible and you can disassemble/reassemble the thing.
Ananda is so ridiculous it's own yoke scratches and damages it's own plastic earcup. The ring that holds the driver in place doesn't fit well. I don't even wanna talk about the headband design and earpads.
I had a HEXv2. The headband snapped. Just bought new pads for it months before it died as well, sadly. Should've sent it back without either of those. Now I'm looking around for 2mm to 2.5mm adapters to see if I can at least get more use out of my balanced cable.

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2022 at 2:53 PM Post #4,317 of 4,987
Thanks for your answer. Just curious, does low reliability affect all Hifiman models or is it specific to any particular model?
They have sold a lot of cans over the past 10-12 years. It seems like there are lots of complaints. Part of it is initial quality. But I don't think there is an actual collection of failure reports thats objective.

My experience is very good with HFM:

HE-5LE - 12 years old - 2nd owner
HE-400 - 8 years old - 2nd owner, died but it was mostly dead when I got it, can't blame HFM, just not clear.
HE-500 - 8 years old - 2nd owner
MD 4XX - 4 years - 1st owner, budget can
HE-5SE - 1 year - 1st owner, sold because it was poor audio wise.
HEX v2 - 5 years - 2nd owner for 3 years
HE-6SEv1 - 3 years - 1st owner

Having dug into most of these, and having handled more - IMO HFM spends almost all of what they have on the drivers. I find the cables, and most of the pads to be below average quality. Some of the headbands suck. Little thought given to rear screens on round cup models. No thought given to sound bouncing around the stators and inner cups - until the stealths - and I don't have any.

Haven't heard the XS yet, but right now the HE-6se v2 is the best can I see under $1k. If you don't find brightness in SS/digital much - the Ananda might be your cup. I'm also pretty sure that HFM has to fill in the market gaps around $1k and $2k - which should be interesting - maybe by 9/22 we'll see the new wave.

Jan 28, 2022 at 5:55 PM Post #4,319 of 4,987
They have sold a lot of cans over the past 10-12 years. It seems like there are lots of complaints. Part of it is initial quality. But I don't think there is an actual collection of failure reports thats objective.

My experience is very good with HFM:

HE-5LE - 12 years old - 2nd owner
HE-400 - 8 years old - 2nd owner, died but it was mostly dead when I got it, can't blame HFM, just not clear.
HE-500 - 8 years old - 2nd owner
MD 4XX - 4 years - 1st owner, budget can
HE-5SE - 1 year - 1st owner, sold because it was poor audio wise.
HEX v2 - 5 years - 2nd owner for 3 years
HE-6SEv1 - 3 years - 1st owner

Having dug into most of these, and having handled more - IMO HFM spends almost all of what they have on the drivers. I find the cables, and most of the pads to be below average quality. Some of the headbands suck. Little thought given to rear screens on round cup models. No thought given to sound bouncing around the stators and inner cups - until the stealths - and I don't have any.

Haven't heard the XS yet, but right now the HE-6se v2 is the best can I see under $1k. If you don't find brightness in SS/digital much - the Ananda might be your cup. I'm also pretty sure that HFM has to fill in the market gaps around $1k and $2k - which should be interesting - maybe by 9/22 we'll see the new wave.
Very informative comment. Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back